6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

LSD or ULSD which is better for 6L

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:55 AM
BC Powerstroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSD or ULSD which is better for 6L

I have access and used the LSD and ULSD. Some 6L owners swear they get better MPG with LSD than ULSD.

I get a solid 14MPG City or 17MPG Highway (hand calculated) with my goodies consisting of levelling kit and 35" tires. So I'm generally pretty happy. So I can't say I've seen a noticeable difference in power or fuel economy between the two fuels. I see marginally more smoke for the LSD but only marginally.

I understand the ULSD is better if the EGR is connected as it is "cleaner" fuel for the emissions but if I have a disconnetted EGR, turned off EGR (SCTII with Matts tunes) and blocked of my egr upipe will my engine benefit better from the LSD. I am not sure if the LSD is worse for my turbo vanes.

I get the LSD 10% cheaper than the ULSD so that is an incentive for me but I am looking for others opinions as which is the best for my 6L and setup regardless of price???

Old 07-27-2007, 03:18 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Santino,

The ULSD fuel has slightly less BTU's than LSD fuel so you get a little less power with ULSD, hence you get a little lower fuel mileage running ULSD. The lower soot levels generated with ULSD do to lower sulfer content is a benefit to the motor even with the EGR system deleted (i agree not as much as when the EGR system is active). However, the lower sulfer content helps the engine oil not have to work as hard and is better for the turbo.

IMO i would not lose to much sleep over which fuel you run in your truck, use a good quality fuel additive and change the oil every 5K and i don't think you will see any difference in longevity of your motor since you already have the EGR delete.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:52 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
My 06 loves the USLD. Engine drivability is much better, almost like switching from 89 to 93 octane. I don't have any MPG loss or gain just plain runs better on USLD. I have used the gray Power Service with LSD and ULSD. I was running PS every tank or every other tank, but with the ULSD I add it like every fourth tank. The additive was helpful when using the LSD but the motor doesn't like PS with the ULSD fuel.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
My 2003 6.0 gets only ULSD....can't find LSD around here anymore. I too use DK (every tank) for the injectors and I'm getting 15.0 mpg as a daily driver.

Joe

Old 07-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BC how can you get LSD? I thought all companies stopped shipping LSD for on road use in October 06. Hope it hasn't been sitting around that long.

Edit/ Just noticed you're up there in Canada. Don't know if you guys had the same changes as us.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 AM
BC Powerstroke
Senior User
1-My best friend is a distributer and retailer of "marine" diesel (tug and fishing boats) which has a different color because it has less built in taxes hence the lesser price. Marine diesel at least here in BC are permitted to sell LSD and in actuality my guy does not even sell the ULSD yet. The marine diesel is illegal for road use because of the less tax that was aimed for commercial users, however it is not monitored here at least not lately as our economy similar to Alberta is on fire.

2-I suspect in my situation there may not be any difference running either diesel so I run the LSD every time I get a chance to pass by buddies station. I even fill 8 20L Jerry cans and store them in my garage.

I needed alternative opinions and I got it. Thanks guys.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Gotcha. One other thing you may want to be careful of is your engine warranty if you still have some left. Ford states in their manual that if you run off road fuel it will void your warranty. Best of luck to you though, I sure wish I could get away with it.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:35 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
BS, isn't the only difference in formulation the sulpher content and the color dye?

Joe

Old 07-27-2007, 12:42 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
our diesel is labeled as low sulpher diesel, not ultra low up here in canada is what i've heard, although here in alberta i've never even seen any stickers on the pumps advertising it, just out in bc i saw the stickers on the pump

Old 07-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
There is a little difference in other qualities of the fuel, but for the most part the only difference between ULSD (15 parts per million and lower) and LSD (500 parts per million and lower) is the sulpher content. Some lubricity is lost in the pro9cess that removes the sulpher to make ULSD but most retailers add in thier own lubricity enhancers before selling to the public. However, most people here feel it is good insurance to use an additive with lubrication enhancers (like Stanadyne and Power Service) just to be sure.

The only real difference between on road LSD and off road LSD is the red dye. They add the red dye to signify that road taxes were not charged on the fuel. Police, conservation, or other public officials and run a test on your fuel and if you are caught running untaxed off road fuel on the fines can get very expensive (into the thousands of dollars range). Also, Ford includes a disclaimer in thier owners guides that says not to run off road fuel in their vehicles. The red dye will often leave behind residue in the fuel lines and filters that they can see and then deny warranty on if they want. In the souteastern US I am sure that Ford is having to let some of this slide right now after the US goverment allowed the use of off road fuel on roads after last years hurricanes and diesel fuel shortage.

This is what I have learned about the situation in the US. I have no real knowledge about how things are going in Canada.