6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New to the board

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:37 AM
PapawD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the board

I just bought a 03 F-250 6.0 Diesel. I forgot what it was called, but it tells you everything that has been done to the vehicle, from recalls and warranty work. This truck only had 27500 miles when I bought it a couple of weeks ago, I was surprised at how many things the dealer replaced on it with the low miles, I mean from 2 new batteries, alternator, oil gasket, sensors. I hope that I didnt guy a hunk of junk. I like the truck. I just hope it hold together for another 100,000 miles.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,391 Likes on 2,088 Posts
Welcome to FTE PapawD

Your looking for the OASIS report, at the top of the 6.0L Forums you will see OASIS requests, just provide an email addy and your VIN from the vehicle or you can private message me and I will forward it on.

Glad to have you on board and enjoy your stay here at FTE. Happy reading

Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 AM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Some of the must-do's

Originally Posted by PapawD
I just bought a 03 F-250 6.0 Diesel. I forgot what it was called, but it tells you everything that has been done to the vehicle, from recalls and warranty work. This truck only had 27500 miles when I bought it a couple of weeks ago, I was surprised at how many things the dealer replaced on it with the low miles, I mean from 2 new batteries, alternator, oil gasket, sensors. I hope that I didnt guy a hunk of junk. I like the truck. I just hope it hold together for another 100,000 miles.
I have the same hope ... I think that we all do. Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of good information in here. In my reading, and direct experience, not all the "bad looking" stuff on an OASIS report is really bad. Some of it can be recall, some can be replacement of parts known as "failure prone" in all 6.0 trucks, some parts may have just been "thrown" at an issue because the real fix was unknown. In any event, here's some best practice to insure you are doing all that you can do to keep you truck in the best running shape possible.
  1. Change your oil, oil filter and fuel filters NOW! You'll want a known starting point for you service intervals.
  2. Change your oil and oil filter at, or before 5000 mile intervals under normal operating conditions. The 7500 mile thing is no good! Trust all of us on this one.
  3. Change you fuel filters every 15,000 miles (or use the step 4 method)
  4. It's better to have a fuel pressure gauge; if you fuel pressure drops below 40psi under acceleration, change the fuel filters VERY SOON. Low fuel pressure hurts the fuel injectors fast.
  5. Get a GOOD FORD service tech to do your warranty, or out of warranty work and/or consultations. Build a good relationship with the tech. It's easier to deal with a friend if your truck needs service.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:40 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Welcome PaPaw! I just bought my 03 back in Feb so you're in good company.

Listen to the advice above....they know what they're talking about.

The OASIS report that you're talking about is a handy thing. The 6.0s are touchy little devils. Especially the early models like we have! They either seem to be good motors that don't give owners grey hairs or they are just pigs. That OASIS report is a tool that we recommend to help screen out the pigs.

These are great trucks....I'm guilty of not driving the F150 anymore. I drove it on Sunday to go pick up a newspaper...it sure didn't seem to run like it used to! Like I said, I bought my 250 in mid Feb with 34K on it...it's got 48 on it now!

Have fun Pal!

Joe

Old 07-23-2007, 04:07 PM
WishIhada7.3
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ozx3+1
Change your oil, oil filter and fuel filters NOW! You'll want a known starting point for you service intervals.
Agreed i did this the second day i bought my truck specially since the dealer i bought it from is not a diesel dealer so i was sure they didnt have 15w40...although 10w30 is acceptable....but none the less it is very important for the opp/owner to know where he stands on service and exactly what was done and when....that is why i am a strong believer in servicing the truck your self and not using quick lubes.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:14 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"I'm guilty of not driving the F150 anymore,it sure didn't seem to run like it used to!" - I hear ya there msgtg, I find myself almost pushing the skinny pedal thru the floor in the work truck after I have driven mine! Good luck with your new rig!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 AM
PapawD
New User
My F-250 6.0 2003 came off the line in Jan 03, Everything that I have heard, that is not a good thing, but I guess I have no choice but to wait and see, a friend of mine who lives in Destin FL, has the same truck with over a 100,000 miles on it and has no problems.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Reave1
Senior User
Enjoy ur new truck and try not to worry about the things you cannot control. There are alot of guys here that can guide you through all your mods and problems as they come up. What you see here is a concentration of problems looking for awnsers. The vast majority of powerstrokes out there are trouble free and living it. Enjoy it!!!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:25 PM
PapawD
New User
I just had some gauges installed to, pyrometer and turbo boost, I cant believe how fast the turbo gases get up there in temperature, does everybody else's temperature run about 800-900 deagrease when just driving normal? And when you just want to pass sombody does it get up there around 1200 degrease? I have installed the predator and keep it on the 65 hp tune.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2007, 01:32 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PapawD
I just had some gauges installed to, pyrometer and turbo boost, I cant believe how fast the turbo gases get up there in temperature, does everybody else's temperature run about 800-900 deagrease when just driving normal? And when you just want to pass sombody does it get up there around 1200 degrease? I have installed the predator and keep it on the 65 hp tune.Thanks
Yes EGT temps can rise quickly and especially if you are running a Performance Module. Try to keep EGT's at 1200 or below. You can hit 1350 for "Brief" moments.