6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

The other side of the fence

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:57 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other side of the fence

I'm the proud owner of a 2008 F250 6.4 and have no complaints or issues with my truck. Just out of curiousity I checked into several Chevy, and Dodge diesel pickup sites to see what they thought of their new trucks. It would seem to me that they are having more problems with their trucks,then we are with our new 6.4s. It also seems apparent that some of the problems they experienced are more severe than the ones posted about the 6.4 . Posted fuel consumption under equal conditions seems to be no better than the 6.4 either. I am convinced that the 08 ford was the way to go.

Last edited by Nipperdog; 07-27-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really haven't seen that on any forum I've been too. Also, considering I avg 17mpg including city I don't think it's the same as the 6.4.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Enomra
Elder User
Not to mention that the new Chevy is the ugliest truck I have ever seen. I actually like the previous version of the Chevy/GMC muck better. The new one is just downright hideous. When will they figure out that they have to beef up their front ends (lots of steering problems) and that a round tire fits best in a round wheel well!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Can't say I can argue about the looks. It is ugly...

Steering problems ???

Old 07-27-2007, 03:32 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
Use to be a Chevy truck person, still a Pontiac Person. Considered the new Chevy, Could be a good looking truck if they put a regular bumper on it. Just do not like that extra large Crome wrap around that hangs down. Still think Chevy makes a pretty good truck for the average person. New Tahoes and Avalanches are great looking, but like my wifes Armada better than the new Expedition too. Feel the new Ford 2008 is just a better over all built truck for heavier work and hauling. Chevy's are overall going to get beter fuel milage because they are lighter and have 3.73 gears, where as our 350 and 450's are heavier and have mostly lower gears 4.10s, 4.30's and 4.88's. Bet there are a lot of happy Chevy and Dodge truck owners too. To each his own, as long as you are happy with it. After towing with my F450, Ford made the real deal in building a truck to tow. Owner from both sides of the fence.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:43 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
I guess I didn't understand the point of the post. I didn't realize any of the manufacturers were having that many problems with regen or whatever. Having been around during the 6.0 relase I'd say the 6.4 launch is pretty tame. So from what I've seen on other boards is no 1 manufacturer is having any more or any less issues then the other. The only thing the Chevy and GM guys are talking about is the pickup truck review and the dodge guys are talking about how cheap they got their trucks for and why their trannys aren't covered under Dodges new liftime drivetrain warranty.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
I guess I didn't understand the point of the post. I didn't realize any of the manufacturers were having that many problems with regen or whatever. Having been around during the 6.0 relase I'd say the 6.4 launch is pretty tame. So from what I've seen on other boards is no 1 manufacturer is having any more or any less issues then the other. The only thing the Chevy and GM guys are talking about is the pickup truck review and the dodge guys are talking about how cheap they got their trucks for and why their trannys aren't covered under Dodges new liftime drivetrain warranty.
I'm not knocking anyone else's product, and I also feel that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. People buy and drive what they consider best for them. I am simply stating that from my observation of other forums the new 2008 Ford 6.4 is on par with the competition and in some areas may have an edge. I am glad to see the lack of negative posts concerning the 6.4 engine, especially since I now own one.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Enomra
Elder User

Steering problems ???
I have sniffed the other web sites myself and the only issues I have seen repeating with the Chevy is the steering sys issues. I think that the Dmax is pretty solid and have not heard many negative comments on the engine. I have a friend that has the last model (2006) and he loves it but is also concerned about the steering system as his prior truck was a 2003 Dmax and it had the steering system rebuilt. I cannot say what was exactly wrong other than he had it in the shop for the steering being real loose with around 40k on it. Keep in mind he tows constantly and over all he felt the 2003 truck was great..........

Old 07-27-2007, 07:35 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
DMAX, you asked about steering problems, just look at your tie-rods... They are very prone to breaking in off-road situations, There pretty dangerous I think, Ive seen alot of them break. Ive recemended all my friends with new GMs to get some beefier tie-rods from fab-tech or someone like that.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:11 PM
bigblock_drock
Elder User
the new chevys arnt that bad but the new tundras are downright hideous!

Old 07-27-2007, 09:04 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Steering problems ???
I have seen a 08 chevy lifted about 8 inches with some big tires and the truck looked good. The lift and the bigger tires helped portion out the big front bumper and the funky fender wells.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:10 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigblock_drock
the new chevys arnt that bad but the new tundras are downright hideous!
I actually liked the Tundra better in regards to looks

Old 07-28-2007, 11:40 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

I really haven't seen that on any forum I've been too. Also, considering I avg 17mpg including city I don't think it's the same as the 6.4.
Do you have the LMM motor, I dont know anyone with a LMM which would compare to the 6.4 PSD motor getting 17 MPG or anywere close in town. Mabey down a step hill with a good tail wind and the tailgate down.

From what i've seen, all the diesel trucks with a the DPF's and the new emmisions seen low fuel milage. Milage around 9.5 to 12 in town would me more comparable.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:44 PM
freekyFX4
Senior User
Nice truck...looks like mine only blue instead of black.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Nice truck...looks like mine only blue instead of black.
Yep except for the rubber. How does she ride with the MT tires. I was planning to put Super Swampers on mine.

Quick Reply: The other side of the fence