6L Air Intake

Old 07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6L Air Intake

Ah HA! I'm the first THREAD Starter!

FYI...

The Factory Donaldson Air Intake for the 6.0L Powerstroke is more then efficient for up to 500-525hp. Anything beyond that it is recommended you move to a different intake system such as AFE or Jobe. Do not waste money on the intake if your still running stock HP.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Medic115
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why??

Why not? My F250 6.0 seems to run better with it. My exhaust system is a straight 5in pipe from turbo out. No cat or muffler. I always understood better breathing and better exhaust help your engine run better.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Storm
Postmaster
To an extent.. But the wrong choice in Aftermarket Air Filter can also destroy your engine.. That appears to be a problem in today's market.. Companies such as K&N and Godzilla Air Intakes are dusting turbo's.. A good quality Air Intake such as the factory one, AFE or Jobe with AFE Filter are by far the best choices.. I am not against Air Intakes, just against anyone who purchases a bad one..

For most who don't want to spend the $200-$500 on intake are safe with the Donaldson.. It is by far the least restrictive air intake every developed for an engine. Most Factory intakes do restrict and it's highly recommended to change them.. With the 6L you are safe.. Back in the day Air Intakes could be moved in and out on Gas engines with little to no concern.. But with Turbo's on these engines, even the smallest particle that passes through an air filter can cause great damage over time to the turbine wheels.. K&N and some others are notorious for their filters not exceeding recommended micron filtering..

Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Storm
Ah HA! I'm the first THREAD Starter!

FYI...

The Factory Donaldson Air Intake for the 6.0L Powerstroke is more then efficient for up to 500-525hp. Anything beyond that it is recommended you move to a different intake system such as AFE or Jobe. Do not waste money on the intake if your still running stock HP.

To add to what you said...

6.0L & 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Super Duty and Excursion Air Filtration Q&A

Q : Don't all filters stop the same amount of contaminants from getting into the engine and turbo?

A: Absolutely not! The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters, produced by Donaldson Company, Inc., stop 99.99% of contaminants the size of one micron or larger. Some aftermarket filters trap only 95%. What does this mean to an owner? Driven in the same conditions, a 95% filter would pass 50 grams of contaminant through to the engine that would be trapped by the OE filters! Even a 99.00% filter would pass 10 grams of contaminant. This could mean an early end to your engine or turbo.

Q: Won't aftermarket airbox modifications, which use a lower priced filter, save me money?

A: Don't be fooled by aftermarket tactics of comparing the cost of one filter because you also need to know how often you'll need to change filters. The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters hold more than three pounds of dust, dirt and soot. The aftermarket kits tested by Donaldson Company, Inc. held about half this amount. And don't forget, if these aftermarket replacement filters are less than 99.99% efficient, they pass some contaminant through to the engine that the OE filter would have stopped!

Q: How frequently do the 6.0L and 6.4L OE air filters need to be changed?

A: Everybody's driving habits and environments are different. Owners/Dealers should check the air filter restriction gauge (located on the upper housing of the air cleaner assembly) at each oil change interval to determine when the filter needs to be changed. Some vehicles also have a dash light that will illuminate when the filter needs to be changed. No replacement is necessary until the filter minder (or dash light) gives indication.

Q: My filter minder doesn't seem to move, so shouldn't I check or change the filter to be safe?

A: The filter minder is a gauge that starts registering only after the filter reaches a certain point of being filled. This is why owners do not see it consistently move (like a gas gauge). Rest assured, the filter minder works and there is no reason to check on the filter by removing the airbox cover, thereby increasing the risk of contaminants entering the air intake system. Remember, the 6.0L and 6.4L OE air filters hold more than three pounds of contaminant – so it will take some time to fill!

Q: I want maximum airflow through the system to provide more power. Don't some aftermarket filters provide more airflow than the 6.0L or 6.4L OE air filters?

A: Airflow should not be the determining factor in buying a filter. Think about it: would you ever operate without a filter in place even though you'd get maximum air flow? High airflow generally means the filter is less efficient at stopping contaminants, too. Owners should instead look for the combination of three factors: airflow, how small of contaminant the filter will stop, and how much contaminant the filter will hold. The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filtration systems provide a great combination and it comes standard on all Super Duty and Excursion trucks!

Q: If the 6.0L and 6.4L OE filtration systems are so effective and efficient, why would anybody pay to modify them?

A: Excellent question. It makes no sense to pay hard earned money to go backwards in technology – especially considering that such modifications may even put future warranty repairs in jeopardy. You invested in your 6.0L or 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel truck to provide years of dependable service. Ford engineered it with a great filtration. So just why would anyone pay to modify it?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Teazr
New User
Ok her goes my first question to this forum, these hp numbers seem maybe possible, the torque numbers seem at least a bit high. This is a aFe part number 75-80392. I recently purchased a 03 F-350 CC Dually, im trying to figure out the best way to increase power and mileage without making the engine self destruct. I understand driving habits will have a lot to do with it. I tow occasionally but nothing probably over 8500 lbs. This truck is overkill for what I do but thats a good thing usually, It just had the most room inside for passengers of any of the trucks I looked at. Any constructive comments are welcome.

2003-2007 Ford 6.0L diesel
**production dates are not an issue with this kit

FEATURES & BENEFITS:

19 Horsepower Over Stock
114 ft LBS torque
Covered heat shield
Molded intake tube
Lowered Exhaust temp. (EGT)
Better throttle Response
Washable & Reusable Filter
Direct Bolt-on System
Replaces OEM Filter and Air Box
Limited Lifetime Warranty

Old 08-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Teazr
Ok her goes my first question to this forum, these hp numbers seem maybe possible, the torque numbers seem at least a bit high. This is a aFe part number 75-80392. I recently purchased a 03 F-350 CC Dually, im trying to figure out the best way to increase power and mileage without making the engine self destruct. I understand driving habits will have a lot to do with it. I tow occasionally but nothing probably over 8500 lbs. This truck is overkill for what I do but thats a good thing usually, It just had the most room inside for passengers of any of the trucks I looked at. Any constructive comments are welcome.

2003-2007 Ford 6.0L diesel
**production dates are not an issue with this kit

FEATURES & BENEFITS:

19 Horsepower Over Stock
114 ft LBS torque
Covered heat shield
Molded intake tube
Lowered Exhaust temp. (EGT)
Better throttle Response
Washable & Reusable Filter
Direct Bolt-on System
Replaces OEM Filter and Air Box
Limited Lifetime Warranty
Your better off sticking with the Factory Air Intake and getting an XCal2 from us.. We can tune your engine to provide more hp/tq and increase fuel economy without self destructing your block.. Head over to the 6.0L Forum if you haven't already

Old 08-31-2007, 12:53 PM
jmsrbrt
New User
I've looked at the Donaldson web site and I can't find anything as to efficiency of 99.9% removal of 5 micron particals and larger. The term "99.9%" was used once if you use thier filter with thier 'pre-filter', so could you point me in the direction of finding any test results? The Ford site says thier filter is 98.5% efficient in the Course Dust Test, K&N says thiers is 97% to 99% in the same test, but the AFE Pro Guard 7 reports 99.5% in the "FINE" dust test, and is the only time I saw "fine" mentioned. Being the dummy/novice/nexbie/non-techie that I am, if Ford's filter (I assume the Donaldson filter) is 98.5% efficient, why NOT go with the K&N (97-99%) cold air intake? I thought I had done a lot of research on this, and ordered the K&N, but now, after reading this thread, I'm having doubts. Never had a diesel, although all of my gas engines have given me over 250K of life before they gave up the ghost. I'm hoping the diesel will go much further.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmsrbrt
I've looked at the Donaldson web site and I can't find anything as to efficiency of 99.9% removal of 5 micron particals and larger. The term "99.9%" was used once if you use thier filter with thier 'pre-filter', so could you point me in the direction of finding any test results? The Ford site says thier filter is 98.5% efficient in the Course Dust Test, K&N says thiers is 97% to 99% in the same test, but the AFE Pro Guard 7 reports 99.5% in the "FINE" dust test, and is the only time I saw "fine" mentioned. Being the dummy/novice/nexbie/non-techie that I am, if Ford's filter (I assume the Donaldson filter) is 98.5% efficient, why NOT go with the K&N (97-99%) cold air intake? I thought I had done a lot of research on this, and ordered the K&N, but now, after reading this thread, I'm having doubts. Never had a diesel, although all of my gas engines have given me over 250K of life before they gave up the ghost. I'm hoping the diesel will go much further.
Take a look at the following document from Donaldson. It shows the PowerCore Ultra-Web filter (which is the blue media one we have) as being 99.99% efficient. But it does not specify particle size in this document. Although I have been told the Ultra-Web media efficiently filters particles 0.3 of a micron and larger.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/001220.pdf

Another document.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/shoptalk/036476.pdf

Also, what I posted above was from Ford and I think they answered your question.

Q : Don't all filters stop the same amount of contaminants from getting into the engine and turbo?

A: Absolutely not! The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters, produced by Donaldson Company, Inc., stop 99.99% of contaminants the size of one micron or larger. Some aftermarket filters trap only 95%. What does this mean to an owner? Driven in the same conditions, a 95% filter would pass 50 grams of contaminant through to the engine that would be trapped by the OE filters! Even a 99.00% filter would pass 10 grams of contaminant. This could mean an early end to your engine or turbo.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by PowerStrokeHD; 09-06-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Gunslinger
New User
I posted a note earlier tonight asking if anyone had replaced their intake on the '06 6.0L engines. Reading all of this, I agree in what is being said, but left with a question: Is the stock intake (Donaldson??) what one should stay with? I plan on upgrading my exhaust and chip. Should I leave the intake stock? thanks, S

Old 11-23-2007, 09:35 PM
73dieseldog
New User
Any information on True Flow foam filters? They claim greater filtering and flow.
Thanks,

Old 05-11-2008, 04:15 PM
jgoebel
Freshman User
Myself I've always used AFE 99.4% most efficient all three of my vehicles take the intake off is always clean know black soot in it know I being using pro dry on my 2008 F250 6.4l 10.000 mile on it runs great same thing clean inside intake

Old 12-19-2008, 10:59 PM
polaris721
New User
does any one use the Roush cold air system for 6.0 ?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Oldtrucknut7077
Post Fiend
From what I just heard recently, K&N is supposed to have a their own system in the market any day. I know of someone who got one to test out on his 07 6.0.