6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

banks 6 gun & pda

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:54 PM
rangerbob406
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
banks 6 gun & pda

hey guys i'm new here so bear with me i just purchased a 2003 f-250 equiped with the banks set up & pda and i don't know a darn thing about it. pretty nifty gauges but what do all the settings do . now i'm in the over fifty gang and a little challenged when it comes to the high tech. stuff. my questions are what is the best setting for fuel econcmy and what setting would be best for pulling a 10k fifth wheel

Old 07-24-2007, 01:03 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
If it were me personally i would personally get rid of the banks system all together. I had a buddy with a 2004 3500 cummins and he totally burnt the engine up with the same banks system you have. If it will do that to a cummins i cant imagine what it would do to a 6.0L Powerstroke. If you are wanting to tune the truck, sell the pda and use the money to buy you an SCT Xcaliber II with custom tunes from matt at spartan diesel technologies. The sct is the only way to go with the 6.0L's. There are tons of threads on this forum about what the major brands (Edge, Banks, etc.) do to the motor and mainly the tranny. Also research the sct. Too many happy customers on here to not give it some consideration. Hope this helps a little and congrats on the truck.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
rangerbob406,

Best setting would be the FMC Factory stock setting. The Banks Six Gun has a bad reputation around here on the 6.0. It doesn't properly address the transmission for the increased power, leading to transmission problems and the tuning files are questionable for peak cylinder pressure, which can lead to head gasket failure.

You can just run the PDA as a set of gauges and lose the Six Gun, and then get yourself an "SCT XcalII with Custom Tunes" from Matt at Spartan Diesel Technologies.

Here is a link to a recent thread with the programs for the SCT XCalII you will want. Give Matt a call, he is swamped so you may have to leave a message but he will get back to you.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/63...-released.html

The SCT XCalII with Custom Tunes from Matt is the proven way to go with the 6.0 & TorquShift as both the engine and transmission are properly tuned to address all parameters and allow them to operate safely.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:39 PM
kmg99
New User
The Banks system is fine, and reduces power during shifts. There is so much misinformation on this tuner topic regarding Banks! I am a longtime Banks user with no issues, I just use common sense and watch the EGT and power down when pulling a trailer. BTW, in a recent past life I was an automotive engineer closely associated with the Powerstroke so I have a solid understanding of what will or will not damage the engine and transmission.

Normally I do not respond but cannot handle all the misinformation on the SCT being the only acceptable answer.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:14 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kmg99
The Banks system is fine, and reduces power during shifts. There is so much misinformation on this tuner topic regarding Banks! I am a longtime Banks user with no issues, I just use common sense and watch the EGT and power down when pulling a trailer. BTW, in a recent past life I was an automotive engineer closely associated with the Powerstroke so I have a solid understanding of what will or will not damage the engine and transmission.

Normally I do not respond but cannot handle all the misinformation on the SCT being the only acceptable answer.
The Banks trashing Torqueshifts and being hard on the 6.0 is not misinformation, there have been at least 6 Torqushift failures do to Banks in the last 3-4 months. Also other Automotive Engineers that had supported Banks on the 6.0 have had problems and switched to the Custom Tuning available with the SCT system.

Unfortunately the Banks Systems are overhyped and problemantic with the 6.0 & TorquShift. The de-fueling strategy that the Banks system trys to rely on just does not perform well in the field.

To properly address the 6.0 & Torqushift, all the parameters of the PCM, FICM and TCM must be properly addressed and tuned for proper performance and longevity. The Banks system and many other "will fit" one size solutions to Hp & Torque increases on the 6.0 & Torqushift, cause more problems than benefits.

There are just far to many problems posted and associated with the Banks Six Gun to ever recommend one for use.

The SCT XcalII with Custom Tuning by Matt at Spartan Diesel or Eric at Innovative is the only acceptable answer to safely performance tuning the 6.0 & Torqushift.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:16 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what about the bully dog pup chip?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
what about the bully dog pup chip?
The Bully Dog Inline module and pre-programmed chips have not had a good track record either. Bully Dog has a relatively new flash tuner out that comes with "canned" tunes. I have not seen enough field data to see how they are holding up in the public arena. The problem with the Bully Dog flash tuner even if there new "canned" tune is relatively safe, you cannot get custom tuning for it. The key to properly tuning a 6.0 & TorquShift (even more so with the 6.4) is the ability for "Custom Tunes" to be easily written for your particular truck, driving style and load. One size fits all "Canned" tunes are a crap shoot and comprimise at best.

The Edge has had alot of problems lifting heads and trashing torqushifts, their new program is "supposed" to be fairly safe and address the past issues. But, with such a bad past track record few are willing to be "beta testers" when proven custom tuning from expericend tune writers is available for the same or less money by using the SCT XcalII.

The only off the shelf "canned" tuner i am comfortable recommending is the Super Chips 1704 program as it was field tested by many with no problems. The new Super Chips 1804 is supposed to be safe as well but the field testing by end users is to new to say for sure.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:48 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

i want a programmer, i'm just scared of the consequences, so i might have to hold off on that end of the fun. I guess Matt would probably be able to write something safe for me, i don't really tow, don't need a lot of power just sometimes would like to see some smoke and have a little more jump in my rig

Old 07-25-2007, 11:04 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
i want a programmer, i'm just scared of the consequences, so i might have to hold off on that end of the fun. I guess Matt would probably be able to write something safe for me, i don't really tow, don't need a lot of power just sometimes would like to see some smoke and have a little more jump in my rig
IMO "Towing" and making "Smoke" are two different animals and don't play well together. I think the majority of people (me included as i tow alot) want to make their trucks more dependable, increase the longevity and if possible increase the MPG. To me more power is fine, but i will sacrifice power for dependability and increased MPG.

Matt, has three tunes that i feel are of great interest to a large majority of 6.0 owners.
"Ultra Economy Highway (+65-75Hp)" for towing up to 7500lbs - +3-4 MPG
"Ultra Economy Tow (+40-55 Hp)" for towing to max GCWR - +3-4 MPG

"Stock Plus" factory Hp & Torque levels are maintained but the EPA induced inefficiencies are removed by re-mapping fuel delivery for optimum performance in stock tune, reducing the peak boost slightly and lowering EGT's by 100F, turning off the EGR valve and re-programming the Torqushift to eliminate its weak points.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/63...-released.html

Matt can also program the VGT to work like an A/M exhaust brake on decel if you tow alot.

You may find the "Stock Plus" or "Ultra Economy Highway" just to your liking.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:10 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

thanks for the help, while it is rare that i do tow when i do it is generally up and around 10,000lbs, I'll get in touch with Matt forsure, it'll be a little bit before i can get the programmer but sure doesn't hurt to start planning well in advance on something like that

Old 07-26-2007, 06:23 AM
rangerbob406
Freshman User
since i'm new to this game what kind of egt's should i be maintaining in other words what temps should i be staying away from and what kind of boost should i maintain. so far i've contacted banks and the recommended settings are either a 3 or 4 i've been told of some fellas towing in 5 but they had to keep a close eye on egt. me for one when i'm towing i like to keep my eyes on the road and the other cars. maybe i'm an old fuss bucket but i've had some pretty close calls with people cutting me out to exit the interstate

Old 07-26-2007, 12:23 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
rangerbob406,

Try not to exceed 1300F pre-turbo temps and if you can run sustained below 1100 you are better off. Personally i would run above power level 3 and 2 would be better when towing with the Banks system. Also keep an eye on "Engine Oil Temp" and don't let it get more than 20F warmer than the water temp. High engine oil temps will ruin the 6.0 much quicker than high EGT temps.

Good luck

Old 07-26-2007, 12:52 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
I've towed in all levels from 1-6 and it sure is nice towing in the higher levels, but any level 3 and higher it is REALLY easy to get those EGT's over 1300. Keeping the engine in a lower gear will keep ALL the temps down. The 6.0 loves to spin. So far I haven't had any problems and often (under a hard tow) sustain 1350 for a short while. But while doing that...the Engine oil temps will gradually rise and not cool as fast as the Engine coolant temps. Engine oil temps creep slowly and cool slowly.
On a side note, I had a turbo boot partially blown off while towing my new 40 foot hauler back from San Diego up I-5 on the Grapevine. I had no idea what was happening HUGE WHOOSH WHOOSH, but I kept on driving....I made it over the grade without a complete blowoff, but DAMN my engine oil temps were up to, if I remember 260!....The Coolant temps were like 240 (and it never puked). I should have pulled over, but feared I wouldn't be able to get going again. The Banks PDA was screamin at me telling me the oil and engine and and and were too hot...Nothing shut down, defuled, cut out .... It just kept on truckin. Also, the Only IDIOT Gauge to even slightly move was the engine temp...It moved about 2 needle widths. Goes to show how MANDATORY Gauges are. Anyway...just some food for thought. ~Brad

Old 07-26-2007, 01:21 PM
rangerbob406
Freshman User
thanks for the info i've got all these new toys to play with now and thanks to you guys i've got a base line to start with thanks again . i'll be leaving for myrtle beach in acouple of days for a 3 week stay thats 3 weeks to play with my new toys thanks again

Old 07-26-2007, 02:04 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by badbrad60
I've towed in all levels from 1-6 and it sure is nice towing in the higher levels, but any level 3 and higher it is REALLY easy to get those EGT's over 1300. Keeping the engine in a lower gear will keep ALL the temps down. The 6.0 loves to spin. So far I haven't had any problems and often (under a hard tow) sustain 1350 for a short while. But while doing that...the Engine oil temps will gradually rise and not cool as fast as the Engine coolant temps. Engine oil temps creep slowly and cool slowly.
On a side note, I had a turbo boot partially blown off while towing my new 40 foot hauler back from San Diego up I-5 on the Grapevine. I had no idea what was happening HUGE WHOOSH WHOOSH, but I kept on driving....I made it over the grade without a complete blowoff, but DAMN my engine oil temps were up to, if I remember 260!....The Coolant temps were like 240 (and it never puked). I should have pulled over, but feared I wouldn't be able to get going again. The Banks PDA was screamin at me telling me the oil and engine and and and were too hot...Nothing shut down, defuled, cut out .... It just kept on truckin. Also, the Only IDIOT Gauge to even slightly move was the engine temp...It moved about 2 needle widths. Goes to show how MANDATORY Gauges are. Anyway...just some food for thought. ~Brad
Just a little more info on this subject, for the longevity of the engine and to prevent serious problems do not run your EOT above 240F. A high EOT will cause piston damage much quicker than high EGT. And yes it takes along time to cool EOT once they are elevated.

Quick Reply: banks 6 gun & pda