I have an 06 F-150 with the "assist" built into the tailgate. Please tell me how to remove the gate, I will be using her as a truck in the morning and the gate will just get in the way.. Thanks
From the owners manual...
Your tailgate is removable to allow
more room for loading.
1. Lower the tailgate.
2. Use a screwdriver to pry the
spring clip (on each connector) past
the head of the support screw.
3. Disconnect the other cable.
4. Lift tailgate to a 45–degree angle
5. Lift right side off of its hinge.
6. Lift tailgate to a 80–degree angle from horizontal.
7. Remove tailgate from left side hinge by sliding tailgate to the right.
To install, follow the removal procedures in reverse order.
Simple answers to simple questions can be found in the manual....
I read about the rash of tailgates getting stolen and I always lock mine up
yep, got a few tie wraps on my tailgate as well to keep it from "popping off" if there is something in the bed that pushes against the bottom edge when you are closing it. 1 guy had his tailgot pop off when a flat peice of cardboard pushed on the bottom edge