2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:00 PM
mordecai22
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Mod

I have a 2005 SCrew FX4. I am looking to make my first mod and have a couple ideas but was looking for some input on what I should do first. I am looking into exhaust and chip right now. Unfortunately I can only do one at a time till I save up a little cash. For exhaust i was looking into either magnaflow or Roush. As for the chip, the Bama or Edge are at the top of my list. Any suggestions on what I should do first or if something else might be better. I have read countless threads and that is why I have settled on the choices I above. I have never done any performance mod's before as growing up I was more into stereo's. Thanks in advance for any advice and input.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:16 PM
champ7718
Junior User
I've put off the chip due to the warranty issues. Most seem to get away with it but I've already used the warranty on several occasions and I don't want to tempt fate. My first mod was a K&N Series 77 intake, which added a significant increase in engine noise. Then a couple of weeks ago I added a Bassani Aft-Cat system (really just a muffler), which gave the truck a deeper sound. I'd like to say that these have increased my mileage but to be honest I haven't seen a significant change, I think breaking in the engine and reflashing the PCM did the most in terms of mpg. After doing the exhaust I realized that I didn't like the cat converters (4 of em in my truck) so now I'm considering rebuilding the headers and cats with a dynatech system, but its spendy. I'll probably do the chip after I kill the warranty. I'm also considering replacing all the oils in the drivetrain with synthetics which is supposed to improve mileage and is a relatively easy install and cheap comparatively.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:16 PM
T-B_MN
Senior User
The chip/tuner/programmer will give you the most benefit in performance numbers and, depending on the driver, the most mpg improvement. The exhaust or an inktake will really only increase the engine noise. Which sounds awesome when you stomp on the gas.

If you want performance go with the chip.

If you want sound get exhaust or CAI.

I would get an edge tuner, good performance and the gauges you get with it are cool.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:50 PM
mordecai22
Junior User
[QUOTE=champ7718]I've put off the chip due to the warranty issues. Most seem to get away with it but I've already used the warranty on several occasions and I don't want to tempt fate.

Thanks for the advice. I am a little hesitant on putting in a chip due to the warranty issues.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:53 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Come on,you only live once.Where's your sense of adventure? j/k dude,that's probably a good decision.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:47 PM
mordecai22
Junior User
Well i ended up buying the magnaflow exhaust. It should be here by next weekend. At least i hope so i can install it. I am going to hold off on the Chip till the warranty expires. Almost 10k left on it or a year exactly. Seems like forever from now but at least i will have time to save up for it and a few other mod along the way. Seriously considering a CAI right now and a westin bull bar.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:51 PM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Diablosport

[QUOTE=mordecai22]
Originally Posted by champ7718
I've put off the chip due to the warranty issues. Most seem to get away with it but I've already used the warranty on several occasions and I don't want to tempt fate.

Thanks for the advice. I am a little hesitant on putting in a chip due to the warranty issues.
Not sure how it has happened, but the Diablosport Predator programmer (not chip) has somehow been left out of the mix on this site.

I am on my second truck on warranty with this tuner and I have never experienced any kind on warranty related problem. Just make sure that you reset your truck to factory settings before taking it into the dealer (takes a few minutes) and they can only tell that you have had something hooked up to the OBD port. If they ask tell them you had a code reader, but sold it to a friend.

Now for the good part. There is a Diablosport CMR dealer here in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada. He has a chassis dynomometer as all CMR dealers should and about two weeks ago we put my truck on the dyno. The results were pretty satisfying with the Diablosport Predator 93 octane tune with a peak horsepower at the rear wheels of 218. However, at that point Cam said, " I can see some more power here, the air fuel ratio is way rich". He walked into the back room and plugged the tuner into his computer and started asking me about the parameters I wanted changed. The most interesting one was the traction one which apparently is the cause of the hesitation built into the fly by wire throttle. I had him eliminate that and bump up the shift pressure. The rest he simply said, "let's see if I'm as good as I say I am". Put the custom tune into the truck and it would not start. Cam on the phone to Diablosport in California and about 15 minutes later problem solved and truck started. Another dyno run and a peak of 228 RWHP.

When you consider that the 2 valve 5.4 only claimed 255 horses AT THE CRANK that is pretty impressive.

We ran out of time to do either a back up pull or a factory setting pull. At 185 bucks an hour I have no desire to kwow more. I am satisfied with the way it runs and don't even care what the factory settings will produce as the way it is now is so much better.

I also seem to be getting a bit better fuel economy, which would make sense with a leaner air-fuel ratio.

I guess what I am trying to say in a long winded way is that the first thing you need to do before you do any mods is to talk to someone with a chassis dyno. Ask them about the actual benefits of different mods. If you can't find anybody you trust in the U.S., check out the TecMotion website from Calgary, Alberta. Matthew doesn't sell any performance parts and therefore has no particular vested interest in what he says. I had originally booked my dyno time with him. but then found out about the opportunity right here in my own city.

BTW Cam says he has also seen pretty good results with the Magnaflow exhaust. However, when it comes to warranty what makes you think that an obvious modification to the exhaust may not void your warranty?

Last edited by bigdavewilson; 07-22-2007 at 07:01 PM.