1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

AMSOIL ATF,cold weather & trans coolers??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 AM
60man
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMSOIL ATF,cold weather & trans coolers??

I was just on the AMSOIL site checking out some products. Noticed they said when using the AMSOIL ATF or ATD trans fluids you don't have the associated problems of cold weather flow as you do with conventional fluid...it doesn't thicken up.
If that's the case why would a thermal inline by-pass be needed when running a aftermarket cooler ?? If fluid is directed to radiator first it would be warmed prior to going to axu cooler and then back to trans..
Would that work with 94-97 E4OD's...without restricting flow in warm weather because of external by-pass...and be warm enough in colder times..I don't mean in Alaska or REAL cold climates.....just VA winters...little if any towing.
Just thinking out loud !!
What's you whiz kids think ?? LOL

Last edited by 60man; 07-19-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should still have the thermal bypass. It isn't good for the trans to run really cold.

The cooler inside the radiator won't warm the trans fluid in cold weather. I've measured temps in the top bottom of the radiator in cold weather. The bottom of the radiator (where the trans cooler is located) stays at outside temp until the trans starts to warm up. Then the bottom of the radiator is warmer than the top of the radiator, except when the thermostat opens. Then, for a short time (less than 30 seconds) the top is warmer. By the time the "hot" coolant gets to the bottom of the radiator it's just about ambient temperature. My conclusion from this data is that the radiator NEVER warms the trans fluid.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:16 PM
60man
Junior User
Now I am confused.....

"The cooler in the radiator won't warm the fluid""
To me the trans fluid would warm the bottom of the radiator due to TC slippage until it gets warm enough to allow the loc up..I don't know what that temp is ???

"Bottom of radiator is at ambient temp..."
Huh ?? If it's 25 degrees out isn't the radiator temp determined by thermostat/coolant temps/???? Surley it wouldn't be at 25 degres when engine reaches operating temp ??!!??? Ambient..??

"Radiator never warms the trans fluid"
Granted but wouldn't it at least only be capable of cooling fluid to only the coolant/thermostat temp. ????

Diesels do take like forever to warm up in the winter for sure...But I have been told the cold flow deal is because of the dino fluid being so thick when cold ??!! Guess that's why the factory cooler had a large tube in it....as not to restrict the cold flow..??
Not doubting your info...just trying to understand how ..
I'm a relative newbe (7yrs) with a PowerStroke....
...and hard headed..
Thanks for your input...

Old 07-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Leader
Elder User
NOT running synthetics at all has worked for me in Michigan for the last 375,000+ miles.
Oil & filter changes at 10,000 miles & trans was serviced once so far.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 PM
60man
Junior User
Originally Posted by Leader
NOT running synthetics at all has worked for me in Michigan for the last 375,000+ miles.
Oil & filter changes at 10,000 miles & trans was serviced once so far.
Damn !! I'm not condeming dino by all means...If it suites ..fine. Do you tow in warm weather with yours..or in winter to. I would be curious to know your fluid temp during the Michigan winters with what you have.....do you have a gauge?
Do you have the factory cooler or aftermarket??
Also...what truck do you have???
I have serviced my trans twice all ready.....97,000 miles. Once at 61K and then flushed and changed over to synsethic at 93K. Since I tow a 10K +/- trailer in mostly hot weather I thought it would help to old E4OD live !!
I hope I can get 375,000 miles as you have and trans & motor..
WOW...
Thanks for your comment...

Old 07-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Up here in MI during the winter my tranny didn't get above 140F with the factory cooler(s), even after a big tow. It would take about 10 miles to get to that temp towing. Empty it would take 20+ miles to get some heat in it. In the summer it would get up to temp in about half the miles aboves, but still no hotter than 150F.

The temps started to het hotter and hotter until I saw 240+ and then the tranny blew. After the rebuild I added this:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=3
and removed the cooler out front. I left the cooler in the radiator in place. The tranny gets to 170F within 3 miles and stays there both summer and winter. It gets up to 190F on a really heavy tow (20K) in the summer. I couldn't be happier, well maybe a little. I'm getting a BTS valve body for the next fluid and filter change. Then I'll be happy, right? Ha!

Old 07-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Suber
Elder User
I live in Albuquerque and I do not have a by-pass valve on my tranny. I have it piped right up to the cooler up front.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:34 PM
60man
Junior User
Cuda-Jim.....I just picked up one of those coolers from a buddy...complete with inline bypass valve...It would take a little creative engineering to mount but Dale doesn't reccommend them for the 94-97 E4OD's...
Think I'm going to sell it and get A Tru-Cool LPD4590 ..No bypass needed for my truck. I checked out my Hayden today when I checking out mounting the 4739 with bypass.....My Hayden is 10X11X3/4" plate & fin style...a 4590 is 11X11X1.5"..twice as thick....
I think it will get my temps back to 165 170....I just don't like the 190-195 on a hard tow on a hot day ..if that doesn't work..I'll consider a fan...
Thanks...

Suber: Bet you don't worry about cold fluid there....

Old 07-20-2007, 03:18 AM
Leader
Elder User
Originally Posted by 60man
Damn !! I'm not condeming dino by all means...If it suites ..fine. Do you tow in warm weather with yours..or in winter to. I would be curious to know your fluid temp during the Michigan winters with what you have.....do you have a gauge?
Do you have the factory cooler or aftermarket??
Also...what truck do you have???
I have serviced my trans twice all ready.....97,000 miles. Once at 61K and then flushed and changed over to synsethic at 93K. Since I tow a 10K +/- trailer in mostly hot weather I thought it would help to old E4OD live !!
I hope I can get 375,000 miles as you have and trans & motor..
WOW...
Thanks for your comment...
I don't tow on a regular bases and truck is stock. 97 F250 SC E4OD 3.55 7.3 No extra temp gauge either. Sorry.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
Up here in MI during the winter my tranny didn't get above 140F with the factory cooler(s), even after a big tow. It would take about 10 miles to get to that temp towing. Empty it would take 20+ miles to get some heat in it. In the summer it would get up to temp in about half the miles aboves, but still no hotter than 150F.

The temps started to het hotter and hotter until I saw 240+ and then the tranny blew. After the rebuild I added this:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2&Product_Code =4739&Category_Code=tru-cool-hd&Product_Count=3
and removed the cooler out front. I left the cooler in the radiator in place. The tranny gets to 170F within 3 miles and stays there both summer and winter. It gets up to 190F on a really heavy tow (20K) in the summer. I couldn't be happier, well maybe a little. I'm getting a BTS valve body for the next fluid and filter change. Then I'll be happy, right? Ha!
So you put that new tranny cooler in plus leaving the original tranny cooler in there also?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Pest007
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have mine piped into the radiator, and then it goes to my big cooler on the front. Works the best since when really hot it gets cooled twice, and when it's really cold, it gets warmed up a tiny bit. I live in AZ so heat is my main prob

Old 07-20-2007, 01:09 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by 60man
Cuda-Jim.....I just picked up one of those coolers from a buddy...complete with inline bypass valve...It would take a little creative engineering to mount but Dale doesn't reccommend them for the 94-97 E4OD's...
Think I'm going to sell it and get A Tru-Cool LPD4590 ..No bypass needed for my truck. I checked out my Hayden today when I checking out mounting the 4739 with bypass.....My Hayden is 10X11X3/4" plate & fin style...a 4590 is 11X11X1.5"..twice as thick....
I think it will get my temps back to 165 170....I just don't like the 190-195 on a hard tow on a hot day ..if that doesn't work..I'll consider a fan...
Thanks...

Suber: Bet you don't worry about cold fluid there....
Why Dale doesn´t reccommend it?. I also have the 4739 and Im very happy, I dont need the bypass, here is hotter.

I think 190-195 on a hard tow and in on a hot day are bad, for me are good.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:32 PM
60man
Junior User
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Why Dale doesn´t reccommend it?. I also have the 4739 and Im very happy, I dont need the bypass, here is hotter.

I think 190-195 on a hard tow and in on a hot day are bad, for me are good.
I think Dale doesn't like it because the 94-97 E4OD doean't have a factory bypass in tranny. I gather he believes the supplied inline valve creates a restriction ?? But you need a bypass in the winter with the 94-96 models....hench my original question about AMSOIL...I duuno..Maybe he will chime in...

Are you saying 190-195 is good or bad on a hard tow ??

Thanks for your comments also..

Old 07-20-2007, 05:54 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I missed some word, but I think is not bad, they are good for me.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tndiesel
So you put that new tranny cooler in plus leaving the original tranny cooler in there also?
Our trucks come with 2 coolers, one out front of the AC condenser and another in the radiator. I removed the cooler out front. The cooler in the radiator is still inline with the new cooler I installed out front.

Quick Reply: AMSOIL ATF,cold weather & trans coolers??