Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

KC Area Explorers 5 Year Anny GTG

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:50 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
KC Area Explorers 5 Year Anny GTG

Looks like it will be this Saturday. I plan on going up early to hit Cabella's for some stuff. Most likely I'll leave Wichita about noon or so.

http://www.kcareaexplorers.com/forum...&threadid=1300
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 07-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Thomasm67
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have fun Jack i will be working nights plus i don't have that nice green stuff.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomasm67
i don't have that green stuff.
Toe fungus?

Old 07-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Thomasm67
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummmmm.....no that's gross you know green stuff you use to pay for things with.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:16 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Green stuff? Never seen it (I'm married) I deal in Little plastic cards and Muppet checks :-)

Old 07-22-2007, 08:09 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I tried to go to KC yesterday and make a stop at Lawrence while I was at it. That didn't work out. I have been having tranny issues and Friday night Clint was able to get a temp gauge hooked up. We did it like the directions said and put it in the return line to monitor the "cool" fluid going back in the tranny. The gauge shows three temps. 160 in the middle of a white (safe) area, 220 where the white area changes to yellow (caution), and 260 where the yellow goes to red (bad).

Anyway I took it to the car wash and gas station yesterday morning and it was at 220 just driving around town. Went to leave town for KC and jumped on the Turnpike at 47th st. south. By the time I was 96 east the temp gauge showed 260 and went past that before I could get it through the toll booth and pulled off to the side of the road.

I tried to make it it just wasn't to be. My GPS wouldn't talk to my laptop so it was just an over all bad day.

I cooled it off enough to get me to Sportsmans Warehouse on East Kellogg and went inside. No small non stick skillets with lids to be found. No Goex powder. But I was able to get bottle of Clays so it wasn't a total loss. Moved over to Micky D's to let Greens tranny cool even more and went inside for lunch. Headed for home and took Kellogg to 135 instead of the Turnpike. Made it to McArthur before it hit 260 again. Just took it to the house and parked it in the driveway in neutral running to cool it down. Then had folks going in and out shut it off for me. Duane, Chad, Clint and Garrett were over working on trucks. It was too hot for me out there so I stayed in side.

When it cooled off a bit I had Garrett bring up another tranny cooler we had in the basement. I washed the bugs out of it and went out as it had cooled some. Duane gave tech advise on line routing and helped me get the grill off of Green. I helped Clint pull the old tranny cooler and install the new one. The shop that has a great reputation for it's work did the tranny lines a few months ago when it leak on the April Utah trip. Just not happy with it since then. They by passed the radiator and just use the small old aux. cooler that we had from Jr. So Clint ran the lines back to the tranny and installed a second temp sender in the hot line from the tranny to the radiator. Thought maybe the heat from the exhaust was causing the high temps on the gauge and wanted another sensor up front away from external heat sources to compare it to.. Then to the newer aux. cooler and hooked it back to the return line to the tranny.

Chad was ready to take Lil Red home (he'd been waiting and was helping Garrett work on his truck). So we headed for Newton. This is where it had leaked fluid in the recent past. It stayed at 185 for the whole trip up. Great news is I have it fixed. Bad news is to was really running 270 earlier in the day and I beleive it was over heating on my earlier trips to Newton when it leaked fluid. I still need to install a switch and wire it so my gauge will read either temp sensor. I really want to know how hot the fluid is getting on the hot side.

I feel bad about not making it to KC. I pushed pretty hard to get the GTG at Authur Bryant's and I wanted to drop by Tony's in Lawrence to say hello and pick up some stuff for Duane and Chad. It just wasn't ment to be. If I would have continued I would have finished burning up my tranny and not made it either. Guess I have shortened the life of the tranny. Hope it still has a trip or 12 left in it.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:18 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I am really suprised the tranny shop did that, those boys have forgotten more about tranny's than I could ever hope to know. But that tranny cooler is the same size as the power steering cooler on the superduty's so I knew it couldn't handle cooling a tranny. Glad you got it back under control, hope all them times of running that hot didn't do any internal damage!!

Old 07-22-2007, 12:52 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I'm thinking about taking it in to have all that old oil flushed out and new stuff put in. Thing is when they couldn't find the leak in the 4 times I took it to them they tightened the fittings so tight that Clint couldn't get them loose.

Last edited by HappyJack; 07-22-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol that sucks, i agree though get all that nasty burnt stuff out of there

Old 07-22-2007, 08:46 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
It never smelled or looked burnt. But I'm sure it has lost a lot of it's lube abillities.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
You might check the tranny forum or under sploder section for diy way to flush by disconnecting the tranny cooler return line and then just add fluid while it is running. I think this can be done on a bunch of trannys, I just don't know about the A4ld.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
It is not an A4LD. It's a C-5 built to C-4 v-8 spec's.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:38 PM
husker
Hotshot
I'm sorry Jack, I had forgotten about the transplant. You should be good to go then.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I was just bragging. I have an appointment with Beard's on Monday. Chances said they couldn't get to it till Wednesday.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:03 PM
husker
Hotshot
When you can avoid the A4LD problems, then you have a right to brag. Too bad it wasn't easy to slip an OD onto the the C4/C5 swap without the expense of a gear venders etc.

Quick Reply: KC Area Explorers 5 Year Anny GTG