N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Microsoft Vista

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:50 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microsoft Vista

I moved this from another thread - it is about something I am struggling with, and it turns out we have an expert to help. Below is the relevant part of a post by Scandocious:

"And Clint, just because you upgrade to a faster computer doesn't mean you have to use Vista. But I will say that I have XP Pro and Vista dual booting on my 6 month old Dell and I use Vista Ultimate about 98% of the time, I LOVE IT. There have been VERY FEW software constrictions so far that I have run into. Even software that doesn't list Vista in its compatibility list typically runs without a hitch. Worst case scenario, you can run programs in Compatibility Mode to make them run using an XP engine. YOU CAN'T LOSE! Might want to give Vista a try, but you'll need a much better computer. Even when sitting idle with NO programs running, it uses over half a gig of ram. This is also the reason why Vista seems to run a little better, because it makes better use of the resources that you have, as opposed to XP, which on my Dell seldom uses more than 512mb of ram even under HEAVY STRESS.

"I'm a Computer Science and Engineering major at UC Davis and a computer technician by trade. I work for UC Davis in the Computer Lab Management department repairing some 700+ PCs and Macs in the computer labs around campus. So while I might not be able to offer to much knowledge about working on trucks (yet), I can definitely exchange computer repairs/tune-ups for help with my truck. Everyone here keep that in mind! Computer repairs are EXPENSIVE nowadays, and low on quality too."

Last edited by WillyB; 07-16-2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:10 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Can't help you with your problem Clint, but would be happy to help Skandocious with his truck for a tuneup on my CPU

Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
No, no one can help with my problem!!!

I got two very demanding old ladies that always want the newest and best electronics around. Unfortunately that is where I dumped my cast-off computers. I have always built my own, and replaced it every 3 years - just so I could have as fast a computer I could to do my work on.

Now that I am retired I see no reason to build another - at least until VISTA is stable and will support a true 64 bit system. (The VISTA computers they sell today do not actually run 64 bits, the trade magazines suggest that maybe after Xmas the retailers will offer that feature.)

My big mistake was teaching my mother and Liz to work the INTERNET!

Liz's computer is 8 years, and mom's 12 years old. Most of the new eye candy, flash movies and INTERNET games do not play well with this old equipment. Both the ladies have there own income, so I would just order them a new INTERNET box --- but you can not get them with XP Pro and have to go with VISTA.

I do not want to try to show them how to run a new operating system - especially one I have never run myself.

You think they complain now, wait until they spend $1000 on a new Dell and find the software is full of bugs. Being ladies, of course it will be my fault!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Mecinoid
Elder User
^^^ Yep, straight up ^^^^^ Lol !!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Build them each a computer and put an OEM copy of XP on it. That is what I plan on doing. I am going to put one together for a little over $800 ($900 if I decide to upgrade to 4 GB ram instead of staying with 2 GB) And instead of running Vista I will just pick up a copy of XP Pro.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, sorry I didn't show up sooner, I've been having some big issues with my truck

Clint, to be totally honest, I don't think that you or the ladies will have much trouble acclimating to Windows Vista. For the most part it is VERY similar to XP. It seems daunting at first because the interface is fancier looking, but in actuality it is very similar to XP, except with ADDED things. So you can typically find the same things in the same places in both XP and Vista, only difference is that there will be MORE options and features to use. I know its kind of confusing... Make any sense?

My number one guff that I have with Vista is that, because Microsoft tried to ramp up security, Vista asks permission from the user to do almost everything on the computer, including simply COPYING A FILE from one location to another! I know... Rediculous. Eventually you just get used to pressing YES!! OKAY!! DO IT!! I DON'T CARE!!

If you want, I can get you a copy of Vista to "try out". From the sound of it, you seem knowledgeable enough that you won't have a problem with it, and you can judge whether or not it will be too complicated for your "ladies."

Why not skip all the confusion and just build them a couple of new XP machines? Would probably be more cost effective anyways...

Anyone else reading this: please please take advantage of my computer repair/tune-up offer. It's the least I can do for all you guys who lend me a hand with my truck, or provide useful pieces of advice here on FTE.

Feel free to ask any questions of me on this thread, I'm always willing to help

Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 AM
F450 Aaron
Senior User
I too am a Computer Tech by trade and I do know that there is a way to turn off the UAC (User Account Control) If you are interested in turning it off let me know and I will post a procedure. I have run Vista and feel that it is the same as XP but makes things harder to get to. Just my opinion, I too will wait for a more stable 64 bit version of this OS before adopting at as my primary OS.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:37 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
And people wonder why I use Macs...

Here is an ad for mac addressing the Vista security systems.

And another ad telling mac programmers to take a break.

Last edited by fastmover; 07-18-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:13 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
The problem is that most of the mothers of mac players wear combat boots, therefore most mac users grew up with "little man's syndrome".

The real facts are that 99% of the development and 95% of the program testing is done using Windows running Intel processors. If you are a power user and want or need the most current programs to run, you need a Windows machine running a Intel processor or you will be eaten alive by undocumented bugs.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
fyre82
Senior User
I believe that Dell is back to offering 'puters with XP again. That's the scuttlebutt I heard anyway.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Aaron I never really thought about disabling the security message but now that you mention it, that sounds nice. Mind posting that procedure?

As for the Mac discussion: since Mac switched to using Intel chips, I'm a convert. I'm typing right now on my Macbook with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz chip. The new Intel chips allow Macs to run Mac OSX and Windows side-by-side, so I have the best of both worlds.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:57 PM
F450 Aaron
Senior User
1. Open Control Panel
2. Under User Account and Family settings click on “Add or remove user account”
3. Click on one of the user accounts, for example you can use the Guest account.
4. Under the user account click on the "Go to the main User Account page" link.
5. Under "Make changes to your user account" click on the "Change security settings" link.
6. In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to unselect the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.
7. You will be prompted to reboot your computer. Do so when ready.
8. In order to re-enable UAC just select the above check box and reboot.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Awesome, thanks Aaron.

So now that we have fixed that little issue. My vote goes for Vista 100%.

I consider myself a power-user and I do lots of things with my Dell. Sound editing, photo editing, general internet browsing, media viewing, video encoding, and many other things. Of all of the things that I have tried to do with Vista, the only thing that didn't work was my Bluetooth dongle, but that is only because the dongle is super old. All other software and hardware works prefect on that machine.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Great thread !!! Thanks for doing all the reasearch for me. I plan on upgrading my systems around Christmas when the price should drop a tad more. I should be on the job again and who knows they might just give me the latest and greatest. As well, by then, the 64bit ver of the OS should be out and proven I hope.

Appreciate this thread a lot !!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 04:39 PM
dernibor
Freshman User
Well, I'll let the MAC and PC guys fight over which one is better as I surf the Internet on my FREE version of Linux....................<GRIN>

Not better, just free and takes very little horse power to run.........I don't have to upgrade because Bill or Steve decides I have to.

Linux is like a Ford truck.......It will run till your ready too upgarde!

Quick Reply: Microsoft Vista