General Automotive Discussion

Engine Overspeed Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Fleet Mgr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Overspeed Question

I had a 26ft Diesel Van (Box Truck) blow the engine for what the diagnostic is calling an "Engine over speed"

The vehicle was in a level parking lot
At 5am we tried to start it and it was dead, so we put it on a charger for 3 hours.
It was started at 8am and driven to the other side of the parking area and idled for 1/2 hour.
We shut it off for the unload due to the fumes emitting into the unload area.

we tried to start it at 930 with no luck.
at 10am when trying to start the truck again, it just made a click click click noise, but would not start.

We had the truck towed

Question:
What could have caused this?

Key points:
1. We were not driving up or down a hill
2. We did not use any ether - it was over 70degrees, so cold was not a factor.

THANKS in advance for any input
FM

Old 07-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

If I had to guess (which I am), the engine overspeed was probably a stored code in the computer. The engine was probably run at high RPM at some point in its life, probably in the days or weeks prior to the motor self-destructing. No telling how long the code would stay in there. It is probably there so the engine manufacturer can void warranties.

The damage was probably done to the engine during a high engine speed run but didn't cause a problem until it was idling for an extended period - possibly due to low oil pressure.

Last edited by Nitramjr; 07-16-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:06 PM
ag30265
Posting Guru
What year and engine platform are in the unit?

I believe you may have had an "overcharge" situation.....too many amps and volts sent through the system. You need to start by checking engine fluids and then turn the engine by hand to ensure it isn't locked up. After that have the starting system diagnosed.....my money's on the starter relay and/or solenoid(it was fried due to the current and voltage sent through it).

The code is most likely old. Most electronic diesels have a set rpm at which they will log an overspeed code. Just because the code is set doesn't mean the engine has been harmed or is dead. It is there so that as said above, warranty can be denied, and so that larger fleets can keep a track on how driver's are handling their equipment and the speeds at which they are driving.

DDEC and CAT are two of the main platforms that use a set overspeed rpm, yet(unless set in the governor) both will turn much higher rpm than the usual limit with no harm.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Fleet Mgr
I had a 26ft Diesel Van (Box Truck) blow the engine for what the diagnostic is calling an "Engine over speed"

The vehicle was in a level parking lot
At 5am we tried to start it and it was dead, so we put it on a charger for 3 hours.
It was started at 8am and driven to the other side of the parking area and idled for 1/2 hour.
We shut it off for the unload due to the fumes emitting into the unload area.

we tried to start it at 930 with no luck.
at 10am when trying to start the truck again, it just made a click click click noise, but would not start.

We had the truck towed

Question:
What could have caused this?

Key points:
1. We were not driving up or down a hill
2. We did not use any ether - it was over 70degrees, so cold was not a factor.

THANKS in advance for any input
FM
Sounds like the charging system quit and/or the battery wore out, refusing to take a charge. Fix that issue and you will have your truck back.
The engine overspeed code could have been set on a long downhill stretch like a mountain pass where the vehicle speed could have exceeded the governed speed of the engine and it over-revved a little. I wouldn't worry about that. Especially if it's an electronically controlled engine. You can stand on the throttle in neutral and it will go up to the redline and no more.