Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Elder User

rmilchman is starting off with a positive reputation.
'02 4X4 vacuum solenoid

I think my solenoid is bad as the hubs hold vacuum (tested with a mighty vac), but when engaged from the dash they don't seem to activate. I called two dealers to get a price, one said $50 another $100+. Does anyone know the part number? I want to verify they are both quoting the same thing.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Elder User

rad1026 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pulse Vacuum Hublock Solenoid

Old Part number: F81Z9H465BA
New Part Number : 6C3Z9H465BA

Should be around $50

You should check vacuum lines coming from the PVH to the hubs to make sure there are no leaks. If you need more diagnostics let me know and I'll pull up my DVD. You can test the pulse voltage and resistance before you decide if the solenoid is the problem.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Elder User

I thought it was the rubber lines going to the hub and replaced them. Didn't fix the problem. I disconnected the solenoid and did a vacuum test from that point down to the bubs and they held fine. Vacuum pump is working, so I'm assuming it's the next logical choice.

Do you think it could be something else?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Posting Guru

truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.
I need to watch what the "site experts" say about this because my '02 F-250 has the same problem. Switch on the dash works, hubs hold vacuum, vacuum pump works, lines are good, vacuum to the solenoid but none coming out. I was about to order some parts including the solenoid but will wait to see what gets mentioned here.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Elder User

Mine when I turn the dash **** the vents move to defrost which means vacuum leak. I'm assuming it has to be the solenoid.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Posting Guru

truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'll turn on the vents and the ESOF and see what happens. With the ESOF on I did not notice a vacuum leak but will check again. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:33 PM
no clue what im doing

Green_Dually is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilchman
Mine when I turn the dash **** the vents move to defrost which means vacuum leak. I'm assuming it has to be the solenoid.

You are correct,its the vacuum solenoid.I just had the same problem 2 month ago.
Ford Aic
80 hp chip
viair 380c and 450c with 5 gallon tank,kong K1
warn hubs

http://www.7point3.com/

My truck pics http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/30/466/...1DALtPi_th.jpg
Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Posting Guru

Well I went by the house, as I'm working, and checked with the vents on and turned on the ESOF. It defaulted to the defrosters, I went out and checked for vacuum at the hubs the old fashioned way with my tongue, no time to grab the vacuum gauge, and did not notice any at the hub lines. Went back into the cab and the air was back at the vents. I thought wtf, turned off the ESOF and then turned it back on while staying in the cab, it defaulted to defrost then right back to vent. Now I'm wondering what is going on. I pull into the driveway, grab a jack, throw up the left front tire and check the tire, the hub is locked, turned off the ESOF and the wheel free spins, hit the switch again and the hub locks again. Try it a few more times and it works like it supposed too. Beats the H*ll out of me, I remember now the guy I bought the truck from saying that it was not working here in the winter years ago after he got it and when he took it to the dealer wher he bought it (60 miles away, off the summit, out of the snow and warmer) they told him it was working fine. A couple trips down to them later they agreed he was not making it up as he would not be wasting a day off work to drive down there if all was fine. They supposedly went through the whole system, unknown what they did but it worked fine since them until I needed it in a snowstorm this past winter.
I can't trouble shoot what is working fine. Maybe some water got sucked in around the vacuum hose in the winter and it froze closing the line? Anybody else got a good guess?

Thanks in advance and for all the good mods and shortcuts I have picked up from here so far.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:11 PM
New User

Txkyot is starting off with a positive reputation.
I also have a '02 F350 4x4, that is having this same problem. The dealer changed out the hub last time costing around $500. Is there something more simple to this instead of changing the whole hub?? Does anyone have a picture of the solenoid or were it's located?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:39 AM
Posting Guru

The solenoid is located on the inside of the right front fender about halfway between the firewall and the radiator support. It has a wire connector on top and a double vacuum connection on the side facing the engine.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Elder User

JOE-M is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Well I went by the house, as I'm working, and checked with the vents on and turned on the ESOF. It defaulted to the defrosters, I went out and checked for vacuum at the hubs the old fashioned way with my tongue, no time to grab the vacuum gauge, and did not notice any at the hub lines. Went back into the cab and the air was back at the vents. I thought wtf, turned off the ESOF and then turned it back on while staying in the cab, it defaulted to defrost then right back to vent. Now I'm wondering what is going on. I pull into the driveway, grab a jack, throw up the left front tire and check the tire, the hub is locked, turned off the ESOF and the wheel free spins, hit the switch again and the hub locks again. Try it a few more times and it works like it supposed too. Beats the H*ll out of me, I remember now the guy I bought the truck from saying that it was not working here in the winter years ago after he got it and when he took it to the dealer wher he bought it (60 miles away, off the summit, out of the snow and warmer) they told him it was working fine. A couple trips down to them later they agreed he was not making it up as he would not be wasting a day off work to drive down there if all was fine. They supposedly went through the whole system, unknown what they did but it worked fine since them until I needed it in a snowstorm this past winter.
I can't trouble shoot what is working fine. Maybe some water got sucked in around the vacuum hose in the winter and it froze closing the line? Anybody else got a good guess?

Thanks in advance and for all the good mods and shortcuts I have picked up from here so far.
The PVH doesn't always just die. Mine worked sometimes and sometimes it didn't when it was going out. This caused a lot of head scratching as I was trying to troubleshoot it. More than likely the PVH is going bad if sometimes they lock fine and sometimes it defaults to defrost. I hate to tell you to throw parts at a repair, but it sure sounds like you need to replace the PVH solenoid.
Joe
No Door Dinger, Int Lts Off Swch,
4 WD Low to 2 WD Low Switch,
Extra Trans Cooler, Zoodad Mod,
Before coolers trans fltr,
Coolant fltr, Air horns
Old 07-14-2007, 07:03 AM
New User

GJSPCLT is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have checked for leaks between the solenoid and the hubs,and you have no loss, it will probably be the solenoid. But make sure you check vacuum with a gauge coming to the solenoid while also playing with other vacuum operated funtions. You may have a loss in vacuum from another component.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkyot
I also have a '02 F350 4x4, that is having this same problem. The dealer changed out the hub last time costing around $500. Is there something more simple to this instead of changing the whole hub?? Does anyone have a picture of the solenoid or were it's located?
If you know the hub seals is bad, you could either relace with manual aftermarket or use the For hubs manually.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1026
Pulse Vacuum Hublock Solenoid

Old Part number: F81Z9H465BA
New Part Number : 6C3Z9H465BA

Should be around $50

You should check vacuum lines coming from the PVH to the hubs to make sure there are no leaks. If you need more diagnostics let me know and I'll pull up my DVD. You can test the pulse voltage and resistance before you decide if the solenoid is the problem.
Finally got around to calling for the part. I found out that the 6C3.. number is being replaced the end of this month, and the new number (dealer didn't give it to me) is on back order.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 PM
New User

Apollo12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
F350 hubs problems

My hubs will not unlock after locking in manually . The vacum on the defrost acted up some time ago probably due to the hub being stuck. What do you all think bad orings the transfer case works and 4 wheel drive works all the time if transfer is kicked in
Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 PM