Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Senior User

lawlor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Biodiesel Conversion

Does any body know what I would need or could lead me in a direction to start? I want to look at converting my 02 X. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Elder User

Btravelen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Properly produced Biodiesel should require no modifications. WVO and SVO DO. You would have better luck posting in the 'Bio' forum.

Take Care
Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Senior User

fomoco_1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Speaking from experience....I gave it a shot for 10,000 miles in my Kenworth. Fuel mileage decreased 6 %. Short of making someone FEEL better about the environment,its not what it was cracked up to be. Anyway,noone would use it if it wasn't so heavily subsidized by the government.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Senior User

Biodiesel Conversion

Does any body know what I would need or could lead me in a direction to start? I want to look at converting my 02 X. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Senior User

willbd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nothing for Biodiesel. If you want to run WVO you need to install a heated fuel tank system.
95 F350 SC PSD Auto 4.10 Pro-Tech Aluminum Flatbed with side boxes AutoMeter Transmission and Boost gauges 6637 Filter mod 160K miles B&M 24K Transmission cooler Diamond Eye stainless steel exhaust 2 tank WVO

Bryan Will
Old 07-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbd
Nothing for Biodiesel. If you want to run WVO you need to install a heated fuel tank system.
Which is better, B20 or B99? What are the differences?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
differences are B20 is 20% biodiesel and 80% petro diesel and B99 is 99% bio and maybe 1% petrol diesel. Better is questionable, depends type of answer. the B20 will of coarse give you the benefits of running bio in added lubrication and will clean your fuel system and should improve your fuel economy. B99 might hurt your economy slightly (I don't see it with mine but many say it does) but had the benefit that darn little of your money is going to the middle east.

The one that says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one that is doing it
Old 07-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
differences are B20 is 20% biodiesel and 80% petro diesel and B99 is 99% bio and maybe 1% petrol diesel. Better is questionable, depends type of answer. the B20 will of coarse give you the benefits of running bio in added lubrication and will clean your fuel system and should improve your fuel economy. B99 might hurt your economy slightly (I don't see it with mine but many say it does) but had the benefit that darn little of your money is going to the middle east.
The only place around here has B99 but I have the Superchip and it is set on the 3rd stage so I'm pretty sure my fuel economy would go down but I think it would go down a whole lot. Do you also need ot get a new fuel filter? I see a bunch of people saying that. If it cleans the fuel system then why would you need a new filter, or will the filter just catch all the stuff from the system? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
you will want to keep a new fuel filter with you because it will clean out the fuel system and the filter better catch it but that will plug it if your system is really dirty. but once you have gotten it cleaned up then the filter changes will go back to normal
As to the economy I get around 16-17mpg on #2 diesel get 17-18on approx B25 and around 16-17 running B100 so you can see it really isn't changing my economy much.

The one that says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one that is doing it
Old 07-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
you will want to keep a new fuel filter with you because it will clean out the fuel system and the filter better catch it but that will plug it if your system is really dirty. but once you have gotten it cleaned up then the filter changes will go back to normal
As to the economy I get around 16-17mpg on #2 diesel get 17-18on approx B25 and around 16-17 running B100 so you can see it really isn't changing my economy much.
So could I jump right into filling my tank with B99?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Elder User

Flea is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yep. All Bio goes straight into and unmodified vehicle.
Bio is modified outside of the tank and Veggie or WVO is inside.
Waste Veg. Oil conversion - GoldenFuelSystems.com
Tymar Intake,ccv mod, 3" DP,Cat delete, muff delete, Cooner 20K mod, TruCool Max Tranny cooler.

... to come
Aeroforce Terminator gauge (Thanks Tim, I have been looking for an all in one gauge).

Truck Pics
Old 07-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea
Yep. All Bio goes straight into and unmodified vehicle.
Bio is modified outside of the tank and Veggie or WVO is inside.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Moved to ...here....enjoy~
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco_1
Speaking from experience....I gave it a shot for 10,000 miles in my Kenworth. Fuel mileage decreased 6 %. Short of making someone FEEL better about the environment,its not what it was cracked up to be. Anyway,noone would use it if it wasn't so heavily subsidized by the government.
I respectfully disagree, I've been making and using biodiesel for 4 years, and Have noticed a slight increase in fuel milage. Some people have said they see no differance at all. I run a 3,000 acre wheat ranch with biodiesel only and will NEVER go back to dino-diesel! All my diesels run smoother, quieter, with 0 problems in the last 4 years. My fuel costs less than $1 per gallon, and my $$$ stay on the ranch and don't go to some "rag-head" !

If you want to find out more about making and using biodiesel you should go here first: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org And look at past threads on this forum, there are lots of us here sharing info on making bio.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco_1
Short of making someone FEEL better about the environment,its not what it was cracked up to be. Anyway,noone would use it if it wasn't so heavily subsidized by the government.
I dont know what you expected so I cannot address that issue; however, the advantages to BioDiesel are not better fuel economy or cheaper fuel. The big advantages ares reducing our dependance on foreign oil, putting one of our national resources (our farmers), back to work, and simultaneously reducing greenhouse gasses.

Anything we can do to reduce the flow of cash to the terrorist supporting middle east regimes is beneficial. Anything we can do to reduce our dependence on foriegn sources of a vital resource is beneficial. Anything we can do to put folks to work is beneficial. In the short term it may cost more to operate a fleet of vehicles on BD but long term we (the nation) win and each individual benefits.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
biodiesel, conversion, duty, e85, excursion, f250, f350, ford, kits, oregon, portland, super, truck, trucks, v10, wvo