Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Superlift Truspeed install question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:29 PM
kawika
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Superlift Truspeed install question

I picked up a Superlift TruSpeed for my 2001 F250. I have searched in the fourm and on the internet, and I have not found any install pictures that exactly match what I have. I am looking for the ABS connector (ABS Controller pin 16, GRY/BLK) and was told that it is under my driver side battery. BUT I find that I have the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) above where I think the ABS connector is at. The picture I found did not have the HCU (99 F250).

I did not pulled the driverside battery until I get some information.

Has anyone that have a 2001 F250 (perferribly a lariat CrewCab 4x4) installed a TruSpeed. Where did you connect the wires at? Under the HCU or under the Battery? And is the ABS connector accessable from under the wheel well?

So far I have everything installed except for the sensor wires.

Thanks in advance, going to get some shut-eye, and tackle this tomorrow if someone gives me the information...

Dave

Old 07-11-2007, 11:49 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave, have you tried asking Ron at HMP?
he may have installed the Superlift on other diesel SD's

Old 07-12-2007, 06:18 AM
kawika
Elder User
I hate bothering Ron for questions that I should be able to find out on this forum. He's a busy person and I hate having to take him away from paying customers.

I'm sure someone has installed the TruSpeed on a 2001 F250 before. I just want to make sure what I am getting into before starting. If it's going to take me longer than a few hours taking everything apart, then it's a weekend project. I was just hoping to do this after work and get ready for my new rims and 37" BFG KO's this weekend.

I just need confermation if the ABS connection is under the HCU or the battery, And if the HCU needs to be removed to get to the ABS connector.

OR

Is there another spot in the engine compartment that I can get to the wire I need to splice into.

Thanks

Dave

Old 07-12-2007, 03:04 PM
mtgrzlyman
Elder User
i have an 02 and just pulled the inner fender liner down my wires were right there under the battery

Old 07-12-2007, 03:29 PM
kawika
Elder User
Originally Posted by mtgrzlyman
i have an 02 and just pulled the inner fender liner down my wires were right there under the battery
Thanks, I'll try that this evening.....

Dave

Old 07-12-2007, 05:00 PM
mtgrzlyman
Elder User
Originally Posted by kawika
Thanks, I'll try that this evening.....

Dave
it says to unplug the big plug there to but i couldnt get it and was worried about breaking it so i just snipped the correct wire and soldered in the true speed wires.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:58 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
did you happen to get some pics?

just curious

Old 07-13-2007, 10:13 PM
kawika
Elder User
Friday the 13th.

As some of you know, I am trying to install the Superlift TruSpeed in my 2001 F250. I have some 37x12.5x18 BFG KO's ordered and should be in tomorrow and I want to make sure I do not get any tickets. Well, things did not go as planned (I would guess it was due to being Friday the 13th)

Started by getting all the tools needed and decided to try looking under the driver side battery for the ABS controller connection (as stated in the manual), but when the battery tray was removed, there was not one cable under the tray.

I have a HCU which I believe controlls the ABS actions, and the ABS connector was somewhere under the mass of brake lines.

This is were it gets fun....

Started to remove the 3 10mm bolts on the HCU, first one came off OK, the second one came off, but I heard something drop in the back where the nut would have been. It was the nut and it cracked off the retainer. The last once came off, but that nut also fell into the back with a soft klunk down by the radiator in the square tube.

At least I have one good nut left (wait for later!)

I tried as I might, I could not lift the HCU with all the brake lines to even get my large hands under the unit to get the connector off (and if I did, how would I get it back on?) I twisted, turned, pulled, pushed, $#%^%, and then decided it may be better to go from the tire side and get the wheel well cover off (yea, right)

Two small bolts up front and some push pins holding it in (some more bolts in the back, but I do not think it needs to be removed)

Well I started to turn one of the bolts at the top of the wheel well, but decided to try one that is nearer to the HCU. I turned and turned, but it did not get looser. OK, find the topside nut and hold it. Its under the HCU and could only find it with my fingers and could not get anything to hold it down. I had my daughter turn the ratchet, but all it did was gouge out my finger.
Thought I could cold chisle it off, missed the chisle more than hit it. Back to option one.

After awhile, I decided that there was no way I was going to get that ABS connector off the HCU. So I decided to go after the Gray/Blk wire to the connector. With the one finger I could get to the wire loom, I pulled out the Gray/Blk wire so I could see it. There was no way I was going to get a soldering iron down in that space, so decided to go after the wire in the main wire loom near the air filter. split open the loom and found one gray/blk wire. I pulled it so that the wire down by the HCU moved. I have the correct one (I think).

I figured that it would be better to get the HCU bolted back up. I pulled one of the nuts that was used for the battery tray and use it for the HCU (and I'll buy some nuts later.) Well I tried to put that nut in the hole, and guess what. It fell into the hole and went down by the others. I better start fishing for them.

I got some wire and bent one end and started fishing, I could not find the bottom. Tried and tried. did not know what was going on. How about a magnet. Get those nuts stuck to the magnet and pull them up one by one. Wait, the body is made of metal and it was sticking to the body, wasn't going down at all. Mounted it to the wire and pushed it down. Pulled it up and hey, theres a nut. But before I could pull it out of the hole, it let go and back down it went. After a few time doing this, I herd one of the nut fall out of the bottom of the truck. There was a weep hole or something and the nut dropped out. Found the others there too and got them out. I'm back in business....

Got the HSU all back on, wire spiced and decided that it was too dark to work and just cleaned every thing up and will start back up tomorrow.

If I knew what I was getting into, I would not, repeat, NOT do this again. But if it works out, at least someone else will not have to go thru the trouble I went thru. Just fish the Gray/Blk wire at the main loom and be done with it.

If all goes good tomorrow, I'll write something up amd post some pictures on what I did.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:23 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Dave, if you need help, let me know
I am available tomorrow!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 PM
kawika
Elder User
Bob, boy your fast. I just posted this and you already replied.

All I have to do tomorrow is put eveything back in. but I may pull out my CAC tube and take off the foil (foil delete), since everything is out of the way. Just depends on when it will rain.

Dave

Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
I want to do that as well
we need to find a place to powder coat them soon!
what time is good to stop by?

Old 07-14-2007, 07:15 AM
kawika
Elder User
I have to talk with the wife, she is getting an MRI and I do not know if she wants me to drive her or not. I'll find out later.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:15 PM
kawika
Elder User
I completed the install and found that it was easier to splice the wire at the wire harness near the Air Filter. Now my Speedometer is right-on the money. Called the tire place and found that the tires are still not in, but the rims are. Guess have to wait another week for the tires.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:49 PM
kawika
Elder User
Posted some photo's of the install in my Gallery.