Sponsored by:

Tow hooks on rear bumper

Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 PM
95bogginbronco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow hooks on rear bumper

Hey guys,
I own a 1995 bronco XLT with the tow package and all the upgrades. From what I've read my rear bumper is a rated as a class 3 bumper and is meant to tow from. I have done some 4-wheeling and thus far have gotten lucky using the ball on my bumper as a pull point. I know this is not the safest way to do this. I was looking underneath my truck at the frame rails looking for a way to mount hooks to it when I thought that my bumper has held up just fine so far, why not mount tow hooks to it on the flat part where the ball is and take the ball off and replace it with a clevis. Would the bumper hold up? I am on a college budget and a receiver hitch is too much money and work for me. If it helps at all I like to mud bog and explore trails. My truck has the 5.0. with 3.55 gears, 31's and dual exhaust and manual lockouts. I don't get really stuck. I usually quit once I start spinning and can't move no more. It doesn't take a lot to pull me out. I have buried it to and above the axles before and a skidsteer barely had to pull to get me out. Thanks for your input guys. I am working on ideas for the front and I'm just gonna pull the bumper off and put hooks on the frame which seems like a popular upgrade. Also what kind of strap should I get and how much are they normally? Sorry for the long post but I am new at this and have a lot of questions.

BogginBronco95

Old 07-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
you would be best to get a class 4 receiver mounted to the frame and use that as a tow point. these bumpers are strong but not worth tearing one up. to replace the bumper would cost more then the receiver mount would.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 AM
helirich
Posting Guru
I had good luck with a 3/8" flat bar about 2" wide bolted to the frame and the bottom of the bumper. Bolt the tow hook right there. The stress is transferd directly to the frame. O my old bronco I put about a 1" spacer between the tow hook and frame in the front. Cut a small notch in the plastic trim under the bumper right there so I could hook the strap. It worked good. One time when I was towing a Chev out, the tow hook striaghtened out. (didnt break) Poor quality I guess.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 PM
95bogginbronco
Senior User
Originally Posted by helirich
I had good luck with a 3/8" flat bar about 2" wide bolted to the frame and the bottom of the bumper. Bolt the tow hook right there. The stress is transferd directly to the frame. O my old bronco I put about a 1" spacer between the tow hook and frame in the front. Cut a small notch in the plastic trim under the bumper right there so I could hook the strap. It worked good. One time when I was towing a Chev out, the tow hook striaghtened out. (didnt break) Poor quality I guess.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into the rear tow hook idea. For the event I'm going to this weekend I'm putting a clevis through the hole where the ball goes and attaching a strap to it. Also kemicalburns My truck is not a pretty truck. it is an old, rusted truck that just happens to be mechanically solid. I'm not worried about the bumper. If the money works out I'll get a hitch, if not i'll go the cheap and easy route. Thanks for the hints guys.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I was passing by and stumbled upon this. That calss three bumper is only rated for a little over three thousand pounds, and will completly pull off if you get really stuck. The amount of force required to pull your vehicle is greater than the bumper is rated for, and it will pop off. Depending on how hard you need to be tugged, will determine how far that bumper will fly.
Try to find a reciever from a junk yard. I picked one up for twenty bucks that fit a late model f-150. I used it for the front of my truck. The angles wer just right to clear the radiator, even though it was too wide. Making it fit was easy.
The point is you can find a good reciever used that will bolt up for little money. This will be much safer than tearing up a bumper, even if it is not a show truck.
Glad to hear you are no longer using the ball as a point of attachment. That was just a very bad idea.
I can understand being on a budget, but never compromise safety as a result of it. I f you or someone else were to get hurt it would not be worth it.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 PM
'94Nichols
Senior User
i found some hooks off the front of a mid-90's chevy, i know, sad, but they're big! i plan on taking some sway bar bushings to space them down from the frame and have them under the bumper. is it ok to drill holes in the crumple zones of the frame rails?, and if so will it be strong?