Brake Pedal Flutter

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:48 AM
hood
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Pedal Flutter

2002 F150 4X4

When stopping, the pedal will go a little lower to the floor and you will feel some slight pulsating in the pedal at the very last inch of stopping. This happens 7 out of 10 times and the ABS light is NOT on. It feels similar to stopping on ice when the brake pedal pulsates.

Is this a symptom of a bad ABS sensor? The front and rear rotors and pads have less than 4,000 miles on them. This happened before the brakes were replaced so it is not the new rotors or pads.

If it is a sensor, how do you know which side is bad? Thanks for any advice. I want to get this fixed right.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:30 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It still sounds like you have a warped rotor. At work if I install new rotors I religiously machine them, and 99% have some warppage to them.

Get them on a brake lathe, bet that's you're problem.
Bob

Old 07-13-2007, 01:17 AM
hood
Senior User
I know how a warped rotor feels when stopping. This is not the same feel. The rotors are raybestos as are the pads which are raybestos ceramic. I did not buy cheap brake parts.

I will not overlook the possibility that the rotors are warped because $*@! happens.

The brakes feel good and strong when stopping, there is no pedal pulsations, pulling, or steering wheel wobble when applying the brakes.

It only happens at the final second of coming to a complete, total dead stop. The pedal sinks slightly and it feels as if you have no braking power. You can faintly hear a grinding type of sound.

Lock up your brakes on some ice or wet pavement and you will feel the ABS kick in. My problem feels similar to that but only at a fraction.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:57 PM
bryh17
New User
Originally Posted by hood
The brakes feel good and strong when stopping, there is no pedal pulsations, pulling, or steering wheel wobble when applying the brakes.

It only happens at the final second of coming to a complete, total dead stop. The pedal sinks slightly and it feels as if you have no braking power. You can faintly hear a grinding type of sound.

Lock up your brakes on some ice or wet pavement and you will feel the ABS kick in. My problem feels similar to that but only at a fraction.
i think i am having the exact same problem on my '94 Explorer... my rotors have been check multiple times, and i have been assured that is not the problem. It is more of a groaning noise, the pedal drops and shakes, and the steering wheel will jerk.. when i am coming to normal easy stops, (a lot of times when parking the car)

i believe it is the ABS kicking in when it shouldnt be, because it is exactly what happens when the brakes are trying to lock up. It is doing it about 70% of the time i brake when i am about to come to a complete stop. More recently it is doing it earlier and longer, and i am worried it may be getting worse/ dangerous.

I have had it looked at multiple times, and no one can figure out what is the cause... any ideas what it is anyone?

Old 08-03-2007, 01:25 PM
FastTrakFord
New User
My 99Ford was doing this and it was Front Caliper piston trying to stick ..the reason i found it was when changing pads it was real hard to push back in.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:32 PM
FordF350Baby
Posting Guru
Sounds like your ABS sensor going off, my dads 99 150 did that, and it would make a crunching noise, and you would loose all braking momentum. Do you have a lift or oversized tires on your truck?

Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 PM
bryh17
New User
Originally Posted by FastTrakFord
My 99Ford was doing this and it was Front Caliper piston trying to stick ..the reason i found it was when changing pads it was real hard to push back in.
Would that cause the ABS to kick in when it isnt supposed to? I'm positive that is whats happening, but still havent found the cause... the ABS light isnt on, and i have been told a computer cant find a problem unless it is on, which leads me to believe something is physically causing it kick in...
- would anything causing the brakes to stick cause the ABS to do that? it feels almost as if that might be the case

I dont have a lift or oversized tires either... its not really a crunching noise but a groaning noise, and i only lose alittle braking momentum, and almost sputters to a stop

Old 08-07-2007, 01:44 AM
hood
Senior User
update:

It was both front abs sensors. Something about a weak vacuum signal. The dealership replaced both front hub assembilies because they said the sensors are built into the hubs. They billed the insurance company $750.

They could have replaced the whole truck if they had wanted to because i still have 5,000 miles left on my easycare warranty.

Prior to that, they replaced the rear vehicle speed sensor and the whole rear end differential. They found metal shavings in the rear vss and found that the clutches in the differential were bad. So they replaced that too! $1200.

Zero dollars deductible with a free loaner car.....gotta luv those extended warranties!!!

But all this makes me wonder what kind of lemon do i have? This truck looks great but has had some issues....bad fuel pump, bad a/c compressor, bad idler arm, warped exhaust manifolds (both), and now the rear end and the front hubs. This truck has never pulled anything and has never been off road.

Sorry, but my next truck will NOT be a ford.