6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 vs 6.7 vs 6.6 shootout

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:02 PM
JONNYB
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh ya ive heard about the video when the 450 out pulled a 3500 but i am sorry i missed video with the 4500 in it. but again i never said i didnt like my 450 i drive it everyday. i just like my kodiak more for towing what I tow,sorry

Last edited by JONNYB; 07-14-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:19 PM
dayooper
Senior User
After owning both I WILL be buying a chevy next time. I spend more time in the shop with my ford doing the same work I did with a chevy plus the trim is alot nicer on the chevy, but i would never own a dodge LOL just my .02

Old 07-14-2007, 08:52 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
Originally Posted by cads03
I test drove my 2nd 6.4l and actually took it home for the night. It's back at the dealer now, I'm waiting on them to call me to see how bad they want to sell it. Anyhow, I have a 2004 6.0L and had 1 problem - egr valve that was replaced under warranty. I'm a little concerned after hearing all the horror stories about fuel economy. Before everyone jumps my case about buy a truck for a truck, buy a car for fuel economy - this is my everyday vehicle. I put 23,000 miles a year on this thing, if it gets 14 ave. where my 6.0L gets 17 ave. that is a huge diff. That's another tank of gas a month or $900/year. AND what about towing, I have a 13,000 lbs boat - with my 6.0L I get b/w 9 and 10 mpg - is this 6.4 going to get 6-9?
On our final leg 1450 miles from Mass to Virginia and back over two weeks, towing 16650# from the cat scale. average is up to 9.1 right now. will give a final detail when we get back. Wow can this thing tow, amazing.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:37 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PSD6litre40
Honestly the GM and the Ford are the only "real" trucks. Dodges frames, suspension, body, brakes, and interior are just cheap. I pull a 05 32" Pace American Shadow loaded down with racecar, atv, toolbox, tires, and other equipment weighing in at 14.5K on my F250. My buddy with a new 07 Dodge 2500 wanted to borrow it to haul his Chevelle to a car show. He put it on the back of that Dodge and the Dodge went to the GROUND and onto the Overloads. I just stood there and laughed all it does is level out my F250 and I bought Sway Control bars for the trailer (thought I needed them) it pulls just as well without them as it does with. Well the Dodge also didn't know what gear it wanted either, suprise, suprise. What I am saying is that the GM and Ford are both great trucks even though I am not a GM man at all. I mean atleast we can drive a Ford and GM and not have to rebuild the front suspension every 50K miles. Just my .02.........
I agree with that.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:56 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There are alot of good pionts that we can all bring up about all 3 manufacturers Ford, Chevy, & Dodge. There is one major factor that would , keep alot or us from buying A chevy no matter what yah drive. The fact that they choose to use a Japanese motor would do it for me and most folks in this country. They have no faith in the American people to build a quality piece of equipment. Oh and before anyone decides to bring it up I'm not talking about a door or a body part. I'm talking about the driving force behinde a the vehicle. The motor! I live and buy from the Amercian people and what they fought and died for. This isn't a stereo ,vcr, or camera. This a $50,000 Truck. Yeah as you might have guessed we are a military Family that Raises American beef for this Country out of Texas and still believe in the American people. Where does chevy stand?.. Merle Haggard said it the best."When you runn'n down a Country Hoss, You're walking on the fight'n side of Me".

Last edited by countrycar; 07-15-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:30 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been a long time since I heard someone talk about a Merle song...but I love it!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:48 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
Originally Posted by countrycar
There are alot of good pionts that we can all bring up about all 3 manufacturers Ford, Chevy, & Dodge. There is one major factor that would , keep alot or us from buying A chevy no matter what yah drive. The fact that they choose to use a Japanese motor would do it for me and most folks in this country. They have no faith in the American people to build a quality piece of equipment. Oh and before anyone decides to bring it up I'm not talking about a door or a body part. I'm talking about the driving force behinde a the vehicle. The motor! I live and buy from the Amercian people and what they fought and died for. This isn't a stereo ,vcr, or camera. This a $50,000 Truck. Yeah as you might have guessed we are a military Family that Raises American beef for this Country out of Texas and still believe in the American people. Where does chevy stand?.. Merle Haggard said it the best."When you runn'n down a Country Hoss, You're walking on the fight'n side of Me".
Fords cars (some of them)and the ranger use engines made by Mazda does that mean that Ford still has faith in the American people? I don't own a jap made car but I am thankful for them, otherwise The big three might still be making oversized underpowered peices of crap that can't go 5 years without rusting out.

Last edited by F6Guy; 07-17-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:21 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by countrycar
You do know that the Duramax engine is built in the USA, right? it was just a joint design effort between Isuzu (which GM owns) and GM... Now the truck itself is built in Canada, and Dodge's HD line is built in Mexico (and so is the Cummins engine for that truck). Just in case we needed another reason to buy a Ford SD.

and I'm anything but a GM fan, btw...

Old 07-17-2007, 08:34 PM
rednek01
Junior User
i want to know if in the test they had a misprint in the axle ratio for the ford, 4.30, or is this right. if this is a true test why not use the 3.73 rear like the doddge and chevy. i have an 08 f350 s.d. and would like to see some real results, with common denominators. anyone else?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:56 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
yep the 4.30 comes with the tow boss package that bumps the gcwr to 26,000lbs.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 PM
TrailerTrash
Senior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
You do know that the Duramax engine is built in the USA, right? it was just a joint design effort between Isuzu (which GM owns) and GM... Now the truck itself is built in Canada, and Dodge's HD line is built in Mexico (and so is the Cummins engine for that truck). Just in case we needed another reason to buy a Ford SD.

and I'm anything but a GM fan, btw...
What's wrong with vehicles being made in Canada? You know we buy the same vehicles as everyone else on this frickin' continent, and get to pay a crap pile more than they are actually worth too...

Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by TrailerTrash
What's wrong with vehicles being made in Canada? You know we buy the same vehicles as everyone else on this frickin' continent, and get to pay a crap pile more than they are actually worth too...
My dmax was a piece of crap, but that's because of the engineers at GM, not from who assembled it. Didn't mean that to be an offense, I've got family up there and plenty of products I've bought from up there....

Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do know that the Duramax engine is built in the USA, right? it was just a joint design effort between Isuzu (which GM owns) and GM... .....
GM did own 7.9% of Isuzu but no longer as of April 06; Toyota bought 5.9% later in the year (NOV). Mitsubishi owns largest share.
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/07/t...-5-9-of-isuzu/

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/11...joint-venture/

The new V-6 light duty DuraMax is a GM design w/o Isuzu; somewhere I read that some believe this is to insure Toyota doesn't have any hooks...... this engine will be built in NY.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news...elsfromgm.html

The DuraMax is as you stated built in Ohio at the old 6.5 TD factory by Americans.

Bob

Old 07-18-2007, 09:23 AM
TrailerTrash
Senior User
My dmax was a piece of crap, but that's because of the engineers at GM, not from who assembled it. Didn't mean that to be an offense, I've got family up there and plenty of products I've bought from up there....
I wasn't offended, I took at American protectionism, since the vehicle wasn't actually assembled in the USA, it wasn't worth buying. Not that I'm defending GM, but you know...