6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 vs 6.7 vs 6.6 shootout

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:04 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
You know what the problem is? I can go to the Chevy forum or Dodge forum and find another fella that's beating his buddies Ford up a grade as well. But since this is a Ford forum - your that guy. It all depends on setup, driver, gearing, speed, etc...

Although I'd have to bet both trucks were running some pretty high egt's mid-way into the run so it wouldn't surprise me that something like that would happen.
His truck had the same 3.73 rears i had, has trans is a 6 speed and mine is a 5. He had a dually i did'nt.

The point of my post is that the chevys are faster for a short distance as proven in the shoot out. When they put a trailer on the chevy with a load look had adversly the truck was affected, the time narrowed between the ford and the chevy. What good is a fast 1/4 mile pull when in reality we pull much longer grades and distances. You put a heavy load on a chevy and pull a long grade and your gonna slow down they just don't pull.

The fords are built stronger and are made to get the job done form start to finish.

These are the facts, and yea this is a Ford forum, if your ego is gettin hurt go but to a chevy forum.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:39 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
I got rid of my ego when I said 'I do' so no point in gett'en upset. I know I'm not gonna change your mind and I respect your 'opinions' above and your gonna believe what your going to believe just as I am. The only thing you really missed in your post is 'Built Ford Tough' :-)

I'm just keeping it real. I've been snooping around this forum a long time usually I'm pretty objective (although some would say I do have my moments). Some people are offened by me being here some like the other point of view. I'm certainly not trying to start a mine is better the yours kinda deal. I liked the new Super Duty 08 6.4 when I test drove it - nice pickup. If it weren't for the whole 6.0 thing, Ford's current situation with International and the thing needing a 6-speed tranny there would prolly be 1 in the driveway right now.

I really didn't read what you were talking about on the 15% grade test - in fact the Chevy gained over both the whole time.

Technically this thread prolly be better off in the vs. forum.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
I love the DMAX stand point and views on things. Your definetly not as arrogant as the others on here. Keep up the good work brother!

Cowboy Steve

Old 07-11-2007, 05:02 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
Boo Dura-crap. My '97 weighs in at 8200lbs with fuel, driver and tool box. Bottom line is that ford tows better and works better then a duracrap packin chebby could ever imagine. Chevy has a quick truck, great but it cant haul, tow, last like a ford, IMO.

Cowboy Steve
BWAAAAAA HHAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAAA!!!!!! Man cowboy steve you know what I like about you? the fact that dispite what all the independant write ups about the "Duracrap" beating the ford pulling loaded or not up a hill or on flat land you still insist it is inferior. Do you still think that while looking at the back of one? Built ford tough with intertrashonal stuff. The fact that neither ford, gm, or dodge makes the diesel that goes in their own pick ups means it is an engine debate not a truck debate. Hell you want a truck comparison look at the gas burners, the ford did damn good and given time would have beat the diesel up the hill. word!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:32 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you saying that your jacked-up F250 V10 with big tires, that slamming more gears, lighter truck and smaller brakes is more stable and then a heavier dually, lower to the ground, with a D/A?

I would have never guessed that.

Just my .01
I hope that wasn't sarcasm I saw dripping! It is lifted 2" and leveled, about like a 350, bigger tires, lower gears almost but not quite the same as 4.30's with stock tires. And it did all that before I added the air bags, after the bags it was not even close. Part of the braking could be because of the tow command system, which is the best system I have used. The Chevy had a Prodigy in it which is one of the best aftermarket controllers but still not as good as the tow command.

You will notice that I gave the Chevy its due. The Duramax is good motor, I had a bully pup on it also and it ran like greased S#%$. But it flat out did not tow as well as the 250, it was faster after 45mph than the V-10 but they were pretty close up to that point although the Duramax with the bully would beat it.

BTW - D/A is good, but the torqshift is a damn good transmission also, so the D/A is not the cats meow. Besides after 4 or 5 miles of pulling up a grade you have to slow down or pull over cause the D/A is redlining on heat.

Just my opinion, you called someone uninformed, or something like that, so I added my experience and opinion of both. I also put 125,000 miles on the 3500 so I do have some experience with it.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:43 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
I just got rid of an '05 Dmax 3500 SRW 4x4 -- pretty much the same configuration as my current Ford (extended cab long bed, etc.). Now the newer Dmax's may have more power than my '05 did (the Ford feels the same or maybe a bit better power-wise) -- these tests don't prove a darn thing to me -- these trucks are all more powerfull than most folks need.

What does make a difference was how much better my Ford handles the exact same load that the Dmax attempted to handle. The Ford feels sooo much more stable that it isn't even close in feel. I set both trucks up with air bags, but you can't get even a factory rear sway bar on the Chevy, so the thing just wallowed. I could notice the camper overcab area would move loser to the cab over bumps too, and that's a frame strength issue (both had the same tie down system as well).

I agree with Cowboy Steve on this one indeed -- the Dmax is set up for racing, or maybe pulling a trailer, but that 1k lb difference in weight is in there all over the place: larger components, frame, etc. and the Ford just plain ol' feels heavier duty and more solid going down the road. And I won't even go into how much better value the Ford was or the problems with overheating I had in the Dmax. It was an expensive lesson for us...

So it's all good and great that the mighty dmax is a few tenths faster -- maybe it'll even sell a few trucks. But if folks ever do what I did and run the same heavy use back to back between the two, they'll know just what I do: and that is the Ford is a more solid hauling machine. Period.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:04 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
I think part of the problem here is I need a cool name like 'Cowboy Dmax'.

Diesel Dan -
I know you had issues with the lly overheating so did others - valid point. That was 2 series ago and if I remember you were particually concerned with the issues the 6.0 was having at the time - so what were your choice? That could have been an expensive lesson with the 6.0 as well. I have to apolgize if you felt I steered you the wrong way but at the time I had the lb7 and I did not have any overheating issues.
Towing and handling - the the new GMT frame is heavier but 'handling' and 'feeling' it's kind'a subjective. It does feel better towing as compared to my '03 (how do you quantifiy 'feels better'? - again some dude on a GM or Dodge site is gonna say the same about his brand), not sure I can compare my new LMM to the new superduty. That last SD I pulled something with was an 06.

Again the extra weight is contributed to the SFA and bigger wheels - really.

KIM -
GM stole the in-cab brake controller idea from Ford - it's groovy! I like it.....
Stole the big mirriors too - finially!
Also not calling you uniformed. Just was wondering how a significantly lighter vehicle with fewer wheels that higher off the ground would 'feel' better towing. Didn't see you had bags on the 250. I think that it would be unrealistic to think that D/A's overheat anymore then any other motors.

F6Guy -
Ford bringing diesel development inside and dropping international - should be interesting.

'Cowboy Dmax'

Old 07-12-2007, 09:20 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
I think part of the problem here is I need a cool name like 'Cowboy Dmax'.

Diesel Dan -
I know you had issues with the lly overheating so did others - valid point. That was 2 series ago and if I remember you were particually concerned with the issues the 6.0 was having at the time - so what were your choice? That could have been an expensive lesson with the 6.0 as well. I have to apolgize if you felt I steered you the wrong way but at the time I had the lb7 and I did not have any overheating issues.
Towing and handling - the the new GMT frame is heavier but 'handling' and 'feeling' it's kind'a subjective. It does feel better towing as compared to my '03 (how do you quantifiy 'feels better'? - again some dude on a GM or Dodge site is gonna say the same about his brand), not sure I can compare my new LMM to the new superduty. That last SD I pulled something with was an 06.

Again the extra weight is contributed to the SFA and bigger wheels - really.

KIM -
GM stole the in-cab brake controller idea from Ford - it's groovy! I like it.....
Stole the big mirriors too - finially!
Also not calling you uniformed. Just was wondering how a significantly lighter vehicle with fewer wheels that higher off the ground would 'feel' better towing. Didn't see you had bags on the 250. I think that it would be unrealistic to think that D/A's overheat anymore then any other motors.

F6Guy -
Ford bringing diesel development inside and dropping international - should be interesting.

'Cowboy Dmax'
1st off: just think the new name is great -- you are kind of a cowboy after all, ridin' in that dmax...

Naw, I never blamed your advice -- it was a pretty impulsive thing buying the chevy and we were mostly pissed off because our ordered '05 PSD fell thru (bad dealer) -- the '05 on up 6.0s have turned out to be pretty good, so odds are it might have been just fine.

The only thing I'd really call out of your post here, is you really think that thousand extra pounds is in the SFA and some nicer 18" alloy wheels?! I can't go with that...

Take care,
"Cowboy Dan" (at least I do own horses...)

Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
We better not steal 'cowboys' name anymore and just stick w/ Dan and DMAX(Tom).

You could be right about the SFA and wheels but it is a significant part of it and I don't think it's 1000 lbs either - prolly closer to 500 - 700. Most people just round up to a 1000.

Glad the 6.0 is working out for you. By 05 the bugs seemed pretty much worked out of that motor.

- Later

Old 07-12-2007, 06:55 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Kudos to all for great points of view on the subject! And boo those who stole the Cowboy-ish from me, lol.

Cowboy Steve

Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 PM
JONNYB
New User
Well I Love My 08 450 But I Have To Say My Duramax/allison 4500 Does Pull Better,stop Better And Better Mpg. Than My Ford. I Am Not Starting A War I Just Speaking From My Experience With Both Trucks Since They In The Same Class

Old 07-14-2007, 09:40 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JONNYB
Well I Love My 08 450 But I Have To Say My Duramax/allison 4500 Does Pull Better,stop Better And Better Mpg. Than My Ford. I Am Not Starting A War I Just Speaking From My Experience With Both Trucks Since They In The Same Class
Mr 3post.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:11 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Honestly the GM and the Ford are the only "real" trucks. Dodges frames, suspension, body, brakes, and interior are just cheap. I pull a 05 32" Pace American Shadow loaded down with racecar, atv, toolbox, tires, and other equipment weighing in at 14.5K on my F250. My buddy with a new 07 Dodge 2500 wanted to borrow it to haul his Chevelle to a car show. He put it on the back of that Dodge and the Dodge went to the GROUND and onto the Overloads. I just stood there and laughed all it does is level out my F250 and I bought Sway Control bars for the trailer (thought I needed them) it pulls just as well without them as it does with. Well the Dodge also didn't know what gear it wanted either, suprise, suprise. What I am saying is that the GM and Ford are both great trucks even though I am not a GM man at all. I mean atleast we can drive a Ford and GM and not have to rebuild the front suspension every 50K miles. Just my .02.........

Old 07-14-2007, 02:28 PM
JONNYB
New User
Sorry To Upset You Mr 409 Posts. It Is Just My 2 Cents On How I Compare Both Trucks Not Knoking My Ford I Love It (esp Turning Radias). I Just Like Pulling With My Kodiak More ,being Its A Heavier Truck (11500lbs Empty) And I Pull 26000lbs Trailer. Ya I Think Both Are Great Trucks Also

Last edited by JONNYB; 07-14-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:30 PM
captaineddie
Senior User
Ford has a great video about the building of the new Super Duty trucks that intended for sales staff use. Ask your dealer if you can watch it. In the video, the Ford out-pulls the Chevy, and they gave the Dodge a five-second headstart. I don't suppose I need to tell you which truck came out on top.

Quick Reply: 6.4 vs 6.7 vs 6.6 shootout