Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Senior User

yellow73bb is starting off with a positive reputation.
transmission cooler lines run through radiator?

My 2000 F350 does not run the transmission cooler line through the radiator. Is that normal, or did someone put in the wrong radiator before I bought it? When I bought the truck, the lines ran only to the dedicated transmission cooler in front of the radiator, so I added a second cooler. Everything is fine until I am pulling a trailer loaded with toys up an incline at slower than normal speeds. I did this last week, gained about 4000 feet of altitude in 8 miles, dirt road, about 20 miles/hour, and my trans temps went over 250 deg. F. Normally, they don't go much over 190 on the highway.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

John.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Post Fiend

amiller93 has a good reputation on FTE.amiller93 has a good reputation on FTE.
I think the OTW cooler started in 01
Old 07-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Post Fiend

Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
250 degrees?? Hope you changed your fluid...
Old 07-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Replace your bypass valve.
It's a pattern failure on the automatics and it's cheap, like $40.00.
Too inexpensive of a part to overlook when trying to diagnose hot trannies.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Postmaster

John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
I thought the OTW was in 00?
Change your fluid soon, or youll be changing a transmission.

04 GTO<---RIP, you were an awesome car.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 PM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller93
I think the OTW cooler started in 01
The added the OTW cooler during the 2000 MY. Mine has the OWT cooler, March of 2000 build date.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
My 2000 has one too. I believe the 1999's are the only year NBS to not have them.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 07-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Postmaster

cangim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cangim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I know for a fact my early 99 doesn't have one. yellow73bb, I'd opt for a puller or pusher fan for your auxillary cooler, summit has quite a few. OTW cooler would be nice but even in this situation you describe, 20mph - heavy tow - incline, I don't think the OTW cooler would be as beneficial as a good fan.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Senior User

I'll drop the tranny pan, replace the filter and fluid, and replace the bypass valve. I'm not sure if there is room for a pusher fan there or not. I guess I could mount the aux. cooler somewhere else . . . . .
Old 07-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
My late '99 with ZF-6 has one.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Freshman User

408w is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an 02 F250 7.3, is the small cooler located in the front of the A/C condensor the tranny cooler on mine? Or is in between the condensor and radiator?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
The small cooler is for your PS fluid. The cooler between A/C and Radiator is your tranny cooler.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Posting Guru

Casey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
My 2000 has one too. I believe the 1999's are the only year NBS to not have them.
Nope. Ford didn't start installing the radiator cooler until February, 2000, so there are a bunch of 2000 MY trucks out there without one.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey
Nope. Ford didn't start installing the radiator cooler until February, 2000, so there are a bunch of 2000 MY trucks out there without one.
Good info to know!

Mine's an 05/00 truck, so I was lucky on this one.

Thanks for the additional.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 06-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Senior User

Resurrecting this old post. Still overheating every summer. I put a new fan clutch on this last winter, I replaced the bypass valve last summer, I put in the highest capacity tranny cooler I could fit. Today it went up to 230 pulling up a hill.

I'm thinking I'll have a radiator shop put in a OTW radiator.

I had heard somewhere that a bad torque converter could cause the oil to overheat. Is there any truth to this? It locks just fine at highway speeds, so I'm not sure how it would fail.

Any ideas before I start sinking money into this thing?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2000, 2001, 350, 73, change, cooler, coolers, diesel, f250, f350, ford, hose, lines, otw, radiator, stock, trans, transmission