2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

So what do I do now??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:51 PM
zarlingo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what do I do now??

So I have recently posted my A/C problem here and now need some more advice. I have recently talked to the dealer and they have said that my Expedition blowing hot at idle is normal. And that they cannot do anything else for me and I would need to contact Ford direct. So I did. Ford tells me that my vehicle is performing to standard and that it does blow hot at idle so as far as they are concerned the vehicle is fully operational and they cannot do anything for me and I would need to call the dealer. So the dealer says call Ford and Ford says call the dealer. So now what do I do?? I live in Vegas which is super hot and my brand new car has no functional AC. Do I have any options other than dealing with it?

Thanks

Old 07-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Can you try a different dealer?

Hot air at idle being the standard is absurd.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:23 AM
zarlingo
New User
That's what I think!! But they insist that they have checked against other expeditions and they all do the same thing. I doubt Ford will pay to have another check by another dealer. They told me that nothing is wrong with the vehicle.

Maybe I will call another Ford dealership and get their opinion.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Monsta
Can you try a different dealer?

Hot air at idle being the standard is absurd.
I agree 100%!!!
My truck may blow hot when I first start it up but then it blows cold all the time,,,,even at idle!
Best thing to do is keep complaining.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 PM
zarlingo
New User
I just tried calling another dealer they won't even look at it they said i have to take it where I have been going. He did suggest getting a temp gauge and seeing what the air coming out is. And then keep climbing the ladder. So i guess that's where I am now.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:50 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zarlingo
I just tried calling another dealer they won't even look at it they said i have to take it where I have been going. He did suggest getting a temp gauge and seeing what the air coming out is. And then keep climbing the ladder. So i guess that's where I am now.
most auto AC'S will drop the outside air temp by 30 degree's at the duct outlet,here in florida it's 96 which give's me a 66 degree temp at the ductwork, I see you have been up to 120 degree's,DO THE MATH,that's 90 degree's and yes that's hot air,home unit's do a little better,more like a 40 degree drop,going back to your car you also have to remember with all the glass it's like a greenhouse,are you new to that area and maybe have never gone through that kind of heat before????.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:06 PM
zarlingo
New User
No I have lived here my whole life. The thing is that my husband's Ford truck and my neighbor's dodge are cold no matter what the temp is. My thing is why is my husbands truck blow cold and my expedition blows like the temp outside. And Ford says that is normal??

Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just swap systems with yer Old Man and not tell him.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:10 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
This is a carryover attitude from the days when you HAD to go to the selling dealer for service. Ford dealers still pull this, but I THINK there may even be a law about this type of thing.

All the AC I've ever had blows cold regardless of outside temp and blows cold at idle. Some mini-motored '80s rigs shut it off at full throttle, but that's not the issue here. Keep pressing...

Old 07-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

I just tried calling another dealer they won't even look at it they said i have to take it where I have been going.
Not to be sexist or anything but I think you should have you husband go down or make the call.

If you're dealing with dealers who have attitudes that would say the quote above, then I'm sure they are still from the era that would give a female the run around. Sad that stuff still happens...

Old 07-07-2007, 04:38 PM
SixPak
Junior User
Try putting the air in RECIRC mode, and slow the fan speed down.

The idea being as the air inside the truck cools, it will cool further the longer it keeps recirculating as opposed to bringing in a continuous supply of 110+ degree air. As already mentioned, a 30 degree temperature drop across the evaporator coil is normal.

Also, by slowing the fan speed down to a gentle roar, the air stays in the evaporator coil (where it gets cold) just a wee bit longer, thereby enabling the evaporator more opportunity to absorb the heat.

You have to understand that in desert heat combined with idling conditions, the compressor isn't as able to keep up with the load because it's not spinning as fast as it otherwise would be during normal driving conditions. Add to that, less air is flowing across the condenser (where the heat goes away) at idle as well, thereby compounding the effect by increasing liquid refrigerant temperature (which is bad) entering the evaporator, reducing the overall refrigeration effect. this is why you're getting warm air at idle.

Bottom line; If you want to be able to sit around in traffic and try to stay cool in your Expy, go to an Independant Air Conditioning shop and see if they can hook you up with an electric fan to push more air thru your condenser while the air conditioner is running. This can be accomplished in any number of ways........

good luck.

Last edited by SixPak; 07-07-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Using Recirc & slower fans speeds are great suggestions! However, we're talking about Ford's top of the line, latest and greatest, 2007 SUV. Warm/hot/non-cold air at idle is unacceptable and certainly not within today's standards. If the other Ford truck in her stable blows cold at idle, then so should this one. If her Dodge does...well...

However, upon thinking about it...her word "warm" is open to definition. The suggestion that she put a thermometer on it and see the actual temp coming out would help further this discussion. Just as "cold" has a different meaning to me living in Hawaii, warm may have a different "meaning" to others elsewhere.

I think if nothing else, the refrigerant level should be verified.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:36 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by poppie
most auto AC'S will drop the outside air temp by 30 degree's at the duct outlet,here in florida it's 96 which give's me a 66 degree temp at the ductwork, I see you have been up to 120 degree's,DO THE MATH,that's 90 degree's and yes that's hot air,home unit's do a little better,more like a 40 degree drop,going back to your car you also have to remember with all the glass it's like a greenhouse,are you new to that area and maybe have never gone through that kind of heat before????.
checked our 2007 eddie bower expedition today after i made the post above,does a little better than i said,95 degree's out side,55 degree's inside at the vent outlet,that's a 40 degree spread ,i got 78 degree's at the cup holder next to the shifter,our's is the automatic control,i set it at 74 degree's and have never moved it,let your husband check to see if YOU have every thing set right,if so have HIM take it in and GET THE OWNER /MANAGER to go for a ride with him,when ever you have issue's with anything that you can't get resolved ( GO TO THE TOP)!!!!!!!!!.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:59 PM
edgl
Elder User
Pay the money, and take it to a place that does only A/C work and find out what is wrong. You air should not be hot at idle. The dealer does not want to fix it. I would not be happy if my vehicles did not have cold A/C.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 AM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
We had the same complant, went to the dealer two or three times. This is what we found.

My wife would turn the temp down to 60 degrees, which would put the system into recirulate and actually freeze up the system. The dealer pointed this out after a few trips to see him.

We now only turn the temp down to 68 degrees which does not put the system into the recirulat mode and allows the system to pull in outside air and not freeze up.

This has changed the trucks air temp inside, by a huge differance! It does seem to take longer to cool than our 04 XLT Expedition did, but I think that has to do with the electronic controls for the cooling are more tempermental??

We wnt to Lake Powell at 105 degrees and the truck vents were blowing cool within 30 or so seconds, then it seemed to cool down fairly quick after that.

One other note, my dealer checked our temp at the vent and it was blowing 43 degrees when the air temp outside was around 90, which is aceptable.

Quick Reply: So what do I do now??