6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Surprised about the fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:52 PM
killaford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
Jokes on you bro, Im runnin 16 highway right now creepin on 17. Be jealous....

Cowboy Steve
Im tired of gettin sh1tty fuel mileage because of regens.
Cowboy Steve

joke?

your the one that claimed 17MPG city on an '08.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
yep, regens cause sh1tty city mpg, and never did i claim 17 in town. I said highway is pushin 17, runnin high 16's consistent. Dont be jealous my friend. Your rig(if you even own one) will come around to better mileage as well.

Cowboy Steve

Old 07-10-2007, 06:15 PM
OTP
Junior User
I hit the reset button on the meter last night when I got on the freeway. Darn thing read 35.2 for several miles. I knew it was off, but when it came down it stayed at 16 for quite a while. I didn't buy this beast for mileage, but it would sure be nice to see those in real time.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:44 AM
killaford
Elder User
yep, regens cause sh1tty city mpg, and never did i claim 17 in town. I said highway is pushin 17, runnin high 16's consistent. Dont be jealous my friend. Your rig(if you even own one) will come around to better mileage as well.

Cowboy Steve

The truck takes break in time before you'll see 17mpg city driving. You say your the original owner of your '95, you should rememeber when you first got it, it got terrible fuel mileage in the beginning as well. have faith in the furd gods

Cowboy Steve

you clearly are not telling the truth. you did indead post in this very thread saying the '08's will get 17 city.

"Dont be jealous my friend. Your rig(if you even own one)"

jealous? i think NOT! pics of my rig are open for all to view. where are yours?

LoL!

Old 07-11-2007, 04:04 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Im not gonna have a debate with you on this subject. I posted that it "takes time" before seein 17 city. Never once did I say as you stated I said that i was getting 17 in town. I dont have a gallery up for any of the rigs I own at this point but rest assured they will be posted before ya know it. So once again the joke is on you as you prove your ignorance to subject info. Good luck with your truck bud.

Cowboy Steve

Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM
killaford
Elder User
So once again the joke is on you as you prove your ignorance to subject info. Good luck with your truck bud.

Cowboy Steve
joke on me?

your the one who is ignorant not knowing what you posted.

oh ya good luck with your?? truck getting 17 city, not gonna happen as i posted before so it looks like the joke is on you my friend.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I will ever see 17 on my 2008. Mine is a CC, 4X4 with 37" tires though but even if it were stock, I still do not think it will get 17. I never got that with my 04 so why would I expect it on my 08.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Showtime
Freshman User
I just picked up a 08 f-450 4x4 with 4.88's I have 120miles on her. I am getting
8.8 mpg. i expect it to go up a little but not much.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:39 PM
TwinTurboDiesel
New User
Originally Posted by jasfaa
I got 17 on the highway but was empty and very soft on the throttle the entire time. I just pulled some heavy weight this weekend over the pass and I do not even want to talk about mileage today. Single digits.

As far as boosting, it is hard to keep these things from boosting over 30 let alone 20. I remember the dealership saying on my 04 that the 6.0 should never boost over 25 lbs even though it did all of the time so you can imagine how nervous I get when I am boosting 35+ approaching 40.
Why do you think they have sequential turbos? Why do guys put dual turbos on cummins? Not to increase air volume but air density aka psi!! The 6.4L changed the thermodynamic cycle the engine opperates on(to meet emissions) meaning the intake valve is open longer. So, they have to have higher boost levels. the 6.4L doesn't have dual turbos because it cooler or has better performance then the lmm single or 6.7 single turbo systems. It has twins because it cant run on one turbo! Bottom line they are made to run higher boost and should be running higher boost! I would say "if as long as you dont max out the boost guage you will be ok" but need I mention the 6.0L debacle! I drove many 6.0L like I was a grandpa and still had issues.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:57 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Thanks for the lesson but I did not need one. I really don't understand why you quoted my comment. I made it mostly because of the 6.0 debacle(as you stated), but I know all about the new design and where it is supposed to boost to. It still makes me nervous when it boosts above 35 up a mountain continously because of the past experience with the 6.0 litre. Also, I know they are designed to boost up to 42, so as you said below, if you stay below 40 psi you should be fine. no need to !!!!!!! in your statements when you quote a fellow FTE member. Did I say the twin turbos were cool?

Originally Posted by TwinTurboDiesel
Why do you think they have sequential turbos? Why do guys put dual turbos on cummins? Not to increase air volume but air density aka psi!! The 6.4L changed the thermodynamic cycle the engine opperates on(to meet emissions) meaning the intake valve is open longer. So, they have to have higher boost levels. the 6.4L doesn't have dual turbos because it cooler or has better performance then the lmm single or 6.7 single turbo systems. It has twins because it cant run on one turbo! Bottom line they are made to run higher boost and should be running higher boost! I would say "if as long as you dont max out the boost guage you will be ok" but need I mention the 6.0L debacle! I drove many 6.0L like I was a grandpa and still had issues.

Last edited by jasfaa; 07-12-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:25 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by killaford
joke on me?

your the one who is ignorant not knowing what you posted.

oh ya good luck with your?? truck getting 17 city, not gonna happen as i posted before so it looks like the joke is on you my friend.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once again, never did I say I got 17 in the city Thick head you must be. I said 17 highway was possible, in fact I just clicked 16.8 highway today with four three string bails in the bed. Good luck with your truck bud, you'll get good mileage one day.

Cowboy Steve

Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TwinTurboDiesel
I think that the dual turbos was supposed to cure turbo lag. The small one gets things rolling, and the bigger one takes over from there.

While lag has not been totally eliminated by any means, once those turbos start to spin, it's on for real.

Unfortunately, the 6.4 that I drive is limited in the top end by the 4.88 gears, but it really goes off the line.

Mike

Old 07-13-2007, 01:24 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BLK94F150
I think that the dual turbos was supposed to cure turbo lag. The small one gets things rolling, and the bigger one takes over from there.

While lag has not been totally eliminated by any means, once those turbos start to spin, it's on for real.

Unfortunately, the 6.4 that I drive is limited in the top end by the 4.88 gears, but it really goes off the line.

Mike
Nicely said. It was to help with the lag and nothing more. the small one starts a the low end to get you going. It works with the bigger one in the middle to continue the positive powerband and then passes it off to the bigger one for the high power side where the big one can really do its magic.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 AM
BRANDON MORTENSON
Freshman User
My 08 has 35" tires 3.73 gears & speedo has been changed by dealer. I have gotten 12 one time on hwy, city is consistently 8. hwy 10.5. I just put on superchip hope it helps. I 've had 7 6.o's and three 7.3's and I 've never seen mileage increase with more miles. Never. 2 weeks ago dealer put on my stock tires w/ stock calib. and mileage went DOWN 1.5. Measured with their laptop in the truck. Oh yeah mine has 13000 miles. I have a new one on order to see if my truck is a dog. They're probaly all dogs. Runs awesome with superchip. Firmer shifts too.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:14 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BRANDON MORTENSON
My 08 has 35" tires 3.73 gears & speedo has been changed by dealer.
Well here is a contradiction. I had my first oil change this week and asked them if they could calibrate the speed on mine sice I have 37" tires and they said on the 08 they can't do anything to change it. HMMMMM.....

Quick Reply: Surprised about the fuel mileage