Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2009, 10:54 AM
New User

gymnastically is starting off with a positive reputation.
do you have to drain the oil for this repair or is it above the oil level??
thanks!
-dave
Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Barry,

After 10k miles so far so good for me. No leak at the flange.

When I pulled the dipstick tube the o-ring was GONE.

That 0-ring is quite different. I bought an OEM because I had nothing to look at and after seeing the Ford o-ring I knew I couldn't find one like it at the parts store.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Postmaster

white Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the help guys, I just spent a quick 30 minutes under the truck in the daylight and waiting for the temp to get above 25F. My flange nut was a good 1/2 turn loose and I can can see oil goop climbing up the dipstick tube also. So like suggested I will go ahead and change them all while down there. With this being my first winter in South Dakota I don't want to be stuck out in the cold somewhere.

Seems like I got an early Christmas present from the diesel gremlins this year. I took a quick look in the engine valley to make sure everything else looked OK and now it seems I have a fuel leak from the fuel drain valve. Looks like the O-ring gremlins got me good this time.

Thank you again for you help & quick responses. I have only been on the forum a few times the past 5 months. The move to SD, work & kids school has my time strapped lately. It's cool that you are still willing to help someone that has been a ghost lately.....

reps to ya.....
Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Postmaster

riverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymnastically View Post
do you have to drain the oil for this repair or is it above the oil level??
thanks!
-dave
No...I did not drain the pan.
02 F-350 4x4 Auto ,David Lott Tunes, 4''Exhaust, 6637w/Pete's Cover, Crossover, AIH Delete, Foil Delete, Garrett 38R, Ped Gutted, Riffraff FRX ,Tugger Kit, Isspro Gauges, CCV, Recon smoke cab lights, Camo seat covers, Replacement Bumpers, Hutch/Harpoon ,Cold A/C Mod, True Cool ,Bellowed Pipes,HO injectors,T-500.
2012 F350 4x4 Auto FX4
Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Postmaster

riverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD View Post
Barry,

After 10k miles so far so good for me. No leak at the flange.

When I pulled the dipstick tube the o-ring was GONE.

That 0-ring is quite different. I bought an OEM because I had nothing to look at and after seeing the Ford o-ring I knew I couldn't find one like it at the parts store.
It is a different looking o-ring.That is why I called it double beveled.That is what it looked like to me and I deal with many types.
Glad it is still dry.I hope it stays that way for ya!
02 F-350 4x4 Auto ,David Lott Tunes, 4''Exhaust, 6637w/Pete's Cover, Crossover, AIH Delete, Foil Delete, Garrett 38R, Ped Gutted, Riffraff FRX ,Tugger Kit, Isspro Gauges, CCV, Recon smoke cab lights, Camo seat covers, Replacement Bumpers, Hutch/Harpoon ,Cold A/C Mod, True Cool ,Bellowed Pipes,HO injectors,T-500.
2012 F350 4x4 Auto FX4

Last edited by riverrat41; 12-02-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: adding
Old 12-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by white Buffalo View Post
Thanks for the help guys, I just spent a quick 30 minutes under the truck in the daylight and waiting for the temp to get above 25F. My flange nut was a good 1/2 turn loose and I can can see oil goop climbing up the dipstick tube also. So like suggested I will go ahead and change them all while down there. With this being my first winter in South Dakota I don't want to be stuck out in the cold somewhere.

Seems like I got an early Christmas present from the diesel gremlins this year. I took a quick look in the engine valley to make sure everything else looked OK and now it seems I have a fuel leak from the fuel drain valve. Looks like the O-ring gremlins got me good this time.

Thank you again for you help & quick responses. I have only been on the forum a few times the past 5 months. The move to SD, work & kids school has my time strapped lately. It's cool that you are still willing to help someone that has been a ghost lately.....

reps to ya.....
As far as I am concerned,once you are in the brotherhood here you are in.Everybody has time restraints and that cannot be helped.I am not nowhere near the most knowledgable here but when I can help I will help whomever because I have been helped plenty on here.
Guzzle will have those o-rings or you can get them and the dipstick o-rings from Ford.Do not tighten the nut too much and mash your new o-ring.You can do it,just think it through and take your time.
2012 F350 4x4 Auto FX4
Old 12-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
When I thought I was going to have to replace the flange o-ring I made this widget to keep the flange from falling into the pan. Just to be safe and to help reduce the "pucker factor" (I was paranoid about this repair). Fortunately I didn't have to use it so it is untried but I sure think it would work. If I ever do need it I will make it a bit shorter and try to remember to put the o-ring and gasket over the strings before I tie it off and start loosening the flange nut.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Postmaster

white Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to behold
Nice super widget Robin,

very nice.......
Old 12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Support FTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by white Buffalo View Post
Nice super widget Robin,

very nice.......
Thanks Rich. Kind of a peace of mind thing plus you have both hands free to manipulate the flange without fear of it falling into the pan.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:47 PM
New User

smojmokel is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK I now have the oil leak! My issue is that the nut is all the way off and can't get it started again? I took off the starter and was able to get my needle nose vise grips on it but I still can't seem to get enough threads to get the nut back on. Any suggestions?
Thanks Steve
Old 01-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Postmaster

Welcome to FTE Steve....I bought a new nut because some here said they are cheesy.Maybe secure the flange and buy a new nut from Ford.They are not expensive.....Not sure what else besides take your time and try to get it started which you have probably already done.
2012 F350 4x4 Auto FX4
Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Posting Guru

rtazz17 has a good reputation on FTE.rtazz17 has a good reputation on FTE.rtazz17 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smojmokel View Post
OK I now have the oil leak! My issue is that the nut is all the way off and can't get it started again? I took off the starter and was able to get my needle nose vise grips on it but I still can't seem to get enough threads to get the nut back on. Any suggestions?
Thanks Steve
Get a new nut.. Its probably cross threaded.. They are a soft metal.. Better that to cross thread than the flange... I did this job twice because I didnt get a new nut the first time.. The nut was cross threaded and I couldnt get it tight enough and had to do it again.. Not something you want to do twice.. Good luck
2011 f350 lariat crew cab 6.7l/Rancho rs 9000S,bilstein 5100 stab,stable loads,firestone riderite bags with wireless airlift 72000 compressor,edge cts,16k Pullright Superglide slider hitch,Rigid Dually D2s,Rigid Floods
2002 f350 lariat crew cab 7.3l (sold)
2014 Forest River Sierra 365saq fifth wheel
Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 PM
New User

smojmokel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks, That's what I thought too. I am going to make ,"THE SUPER WIDGET" so I don't hear the dreaded "clunk" I sure hope it works. I"ll let you know when I get a chance to get the parts and give it a try. I am working nights and about to start a remodel on the house, something will have to wait and it looks like the truck
Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Master of Strokes

weekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud of
Mine is starting to get real bad But I am so scared to hear the "Clunk" of death.
Nick PAA#9
08 F-450 KR 6.4 Elite Race Trans, Elite 71mm turbo/ 59mm VGT, ARP, RDP I/C Boots, 5.5 Icon lift, 22.5 AF wheels, OUO traction bars, Alradco Radiator
04 X 6.0 Barter Stage 3 68mm vgt, 190/75's, T-500, Alradco I/C, 05 axle with 4 link and King Coilovers
01 X 7.3 38R, 238/80's, RDP I/C boots, Full fuel system, ARP studs, Comp 910's, T-500
Old 01-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Posting Guru

origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
All you need is an appropriate size round brush like they use to clean engine oil galleys out. Push it into the dipstick tube hole and tie brush handle off to something, then remove nut and proceed with repair. After repair, replace nut and tighten, fan clutch wrench fits nut, pull out brush and finish the job.
two EGR valves, forgot to reconnect the wires on the second one at 151,360 miles.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:54 PM