Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Please help...Truck is pissing oil/trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 07:51 PM
VegasF250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help...Truck is pissing oil/trans fluid

Happy 4th everyone. Today while I was towing my toy hauler and my truck started heaving leaking fluid from the bottom.. I'm almost possitive is trans fluid because of the amount I lost and now my trans fluid is empty. The fluid is coming from a little skid plate under my 01 f250 7.3. The skid plate is a small one near the tranny and has a small factory indented hole in it. The fluid is leaking heavily from that hole. Does anyone know exactly where it would be coming from and how difficult it would be to fix? Thank you much in advance...Robert.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:00 PM
dryfly
Elder User
do you mean its comeing from the weep hole in the inspection cover of the torque converter

Old 07-05-2007, 12:56 AM
VegasF250
Freshman User
thats sounds like thats the hole i'm looking at. What would be leaking from above that? Please tell me its a simpple seal or gasket. Thank you.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't sound good, man. That's where the fluid pump is, right where the input shaft & T/C are. I've heard that when these things go, they start gushing fluid, and it sounds like that's what you've got there. The only "good" news is that I remember some folks talking about a very good tranny guy out your way (in CA, though). Hopefully someone will chime in with that info...

Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Meatco1
Senior User
Well, if you are in Las Vegas, John Wood is the man you want to be building your trans. If I were you, I would give him a call, he might have a suggestion if it's not too bad. Here is a link to his website, http://jwtt.com/

Good Luck, and keep your fingers crossed!

Richard

Old 07-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
That's the one I was thinking of -- thanks Meat...

Old 07-05-2007, 12:30 PM
VegasF250
Freshman User
awesome...thank you....Yes i'm in Vegas and I'll give him a call.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Meatco1
Senior User
Izzy:

John Wood, and BTS are probably the only people that I'm aware of, that do the kind of job I would want on my transmission. They both offer a terrific warranty, and that warranty speaks for itself.

I elected to go with John Wood, but called BTS also. Of course, John was about 1500 miles closer to my location.

Vegas:

Believe me, if you do have to have the trans rebuilt, JW is one of the best in the business. If not, John has will be happy to try help.

Richard

Old 07-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Yeah, I'm close to BTS, but that doesn't help you guys out there. If I need big tranny work, it'll be Brian...

Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 PM
countrystrokin'
Junior User
It sounds like the front pump. I also live in vegas and Have a guy that did mine a month ago. He works for ford and it was reasonable. pm me and ill give you his info.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Don Tim
Senior User
It the front pump seal, If it it is still a stock tranny it has a crappy seal. Once it blows it will leak till it is replaced. What generally happens is the tranny will get to the upper extreems in temperature and then the fluid has to expand and go somewhere so the seal go's and there ya go. You can replace it but the tranny has to be pulled. Check to see if the fluid is clean and not burned and if it is you might be OK. But your best bet is to call Brian at BTS and get the story straight from the miracle workers mouth

Old 07-06-2007, 07:41 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Don Tim
It the front pump seal, If it it is still a stock tranny it has a crappy seal. Once it blows it will leak till it is replaced. What generally happens is the tranny will get to the upper extreems in temperature and then the fluid has to expand and go somewhere so the seal go's and there ya go. You can replace it but the tranny has to be pulled. Check to see if the fluid is clean and not burned and if it is you might be OK. But your best bet is to call Brian at BTS and get the story straight from the miracle workers mouth
Right. If it is leaking in the hole under the bell housing at the removeable cover to the torque converter it probably has blown the front seal and possibly the pump. The question becomes is it driving/shifting ok when full. If yes you might get by with just a seal replacement. If not then rebuild will be the only option I can see. Best of luck Jim