460 rough running intermittent problem

Old 07-05-2007, 12:35 PM
jamboree22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 rough running intermittent problem

Hello to all for this first post on my part. I recently purchased a 1989 RV built on a F350 Econoline chassis with a fuel injected 460. Mileage is now 118000 after just returning from a 5000 mile trip. First 2000 miles where perfect, ran beautiful. After encountering very rough roads way way north, I now have an intermittent problem where the RV seems to studder on and off, feels like it is missing spark or starving of fuel. This is not happening all the time, only here and there. Everything can be perfect then all of a sudden, specially if I hit a pot hole, the problem appears. I have had a mechanic look into it while on my trip and he changed the EGR valve and water temp sensor, I still have the problem. This only developed after running into rough roads, perhaps a bad ground somewhere? What could be causing this to happen only at odd times? I also thought about the secondary fuel pump located on the frame near the fuel filter maybe going bad because of all the jarring? Also, someone pointed out while checking my truck out that it seems there is a second fuel filter missing? There is an inline one near the secondary pump which I have replaced, then there is some sort of black screw on bowl between the fuel tank and inline fuel filter which is empty, looks like a diesel fuel/water separator canister but has no element inside? Does a filter go in there or is it simply left there by ford for diesel engine powered F350's??

Please email me at riotel@att.net as I usually do not frequent chat sites too often.

thanks for any advise.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This site should send you a confirmation of response to your post. I'm thinking loose ground in the ignition. The 80's were bad for having "clip on Grounds" That might have worked loose over time. Just my guess though.

Search this Thread