Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2007, 10:38 AM
New User

bhenders is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry Hybrid Oil Filter - Worst Ever Design

Cautionary Note - 07 Mercury Mariner Hybrid - Worst Every Oil Filter Design

Note that the large O-ring for the Hybrid oil filter must be fitted into a "land" in the filter housing. It should not go all the way to the bottom of the housing, as this will pinch the O-ring and could result in a "latent" leak.

Since the molded plastic oil filters have totally proven themselves, one has to wonder why Ford had to go back to the "cartridge" type of filter that was common in the post WWII vehicles?

Truly a Worst Ever design.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Junior User

GatorJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
From an environmental viewpoint, perhaps they generate less landfill waste?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Postmaster

Nitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant future
ray.martinjr
I have talked online with many Escape Hybrid owners and you are the first owner I have heard complain about the design. Most of us really like the fact that all you change is the filter element and you can actually see the filter when you remove it for changing. I buy the Motorcraft filter kit online (element and both o-rings) for about $4 each.

As for the o-rings, you really can't be serious about putting the big one on incorrectly, are you? The "land" is pretty large and obvious and to be honest, I don't see how it would be possible to put it on any other way BUT correctly...especially if you took the old one off and paid even slight attention to what you were doing.
As for this being the worst design ever, I don't think it comes anywhere even close to being bad design. The filter housing is placed toward the front of the vehicle for easy access, points straight down for minimum spillage and even has a drain plug for the filter housing to further reduce any chance of making a mess. I have done 9 or 10 oil changes in my two hybrid Escapes and am very pleased with how easy and clean the job is. A 13 mm wrench, 4.5 qts of 5w-20 and a drain pan. Don't even need a filter wrench.

If you want to see bad design, look at the placement of the filter on a '97 F250 5.8W - it is impossible to remove the filter without getting oil all over the frame.

Avatar is a Pearl Ribbon in honor of my wife and the battle she is waging.
'03 F150 Sport 4x4 4.6L 5-speed, '05 Escape Hybrid, '06 Escape Hybrid
Old 07-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Junior User

GatorJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitramjr
I have talked online with many Escape Hybrid owners and you are the first owner I have heard complain about the design. Most of us really like the fact that all you change is the filter element and you can actually see the filter when you remove it for changing. I buy the Motorcraft filter kit online (element and both o-rings) for about $4 each.

As for the o-rings, you really can't be serious about putting the big one on incorrectly, are you? The "land" is pretty large and obvious and to be honest, I don't see how it would be possible to put it on any other way BUT correctly...especially if you took the old one off and paid even slight attention to what you were doing.
As for this being the worst design ever, I don't think it comes anywhere even close to being bad design. The filter housing is placed toward the front of the vehicle for easy access, points straight down for minimum spillage and even has a drain plug for the filter housing to further reduce any chance of making a mess. I have done 9 or 10 oil changes in my two hybrid Escapes and am very pleased with how easy and clean the job is. A 13 mm wrench, 4.5 qts of 5w-20 and a drain pan. Don't even need a filter wrench.

If you want to see bad design, look at the placement of the filter on a '97 F250 5.8W - it is impossible to remove the filter without getting oil all over the frame.
Heck, even changing the filter on a V-6 Escape can get pretyy messy.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Postmaster

Nitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant future
ray.martinjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJ
Heck, even changing the filter on a V-6 Escape can get pretyy messy.
I forgot about that - I only had my V-6 Escape long enough for a couple oil changes.

I hate when the filter is mounted on the side of the engine since I like to pre-oil the filter before installing it. When it is straight down it is so much easier and cleaner.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Senior User

chaseface84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
where do you get your filters from for only 4 bucks?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Postmaster

ray.martinjr
Quote:
where do you get your filters from for only 4 bucks?
from these folks.....I believe they are a sponsor here...

http://www.discountfordpartsaty2kford.com/

Buy a bunch at a time and the shipping cost per filter is negligible.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Senior User

chaseface84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks, looks like they raised their price a little but still a heck of a lot cheaper than other places ive looked
Old 07-29-2007, 11:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid

Tags
2007, 2009, change, changeing, changing, escape, filter, ford, housing, hybrid, hybridoil, oil, remove, replace, specifications