Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A REAL cold air box...and CHEAP!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Mr. M
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kentucky... my PCV tube is mounted in the intake hose.

Let me know if you have any questions. It's quite easy to build, and even easier to put it back to stock.

Mike

Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really slick setup, so simple and effective. Best part, easy to set back to stock if you don't like it, or if you sell the truck.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:21 PM
GBuckert
Senior User
Well now that I wouldn't be the one reviving the tread from the depths, I haven't looked at my setup lately, but any input as to how this would work with the dual tube intakes? Such as the one on my '90 302. I wouldn't mind building one but I have a hard time imagining dual cone filters.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
find a MAF 302 at a junkyard, grab the "Y piece" and tube from that and you're in business.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Exactly.....I'm doing mine, using the 302 Y piece, and piping it down and 45* elbowing it to the the front valence

Old 04-27-2011, 02:05 AM
mean green 91
Senior User
Originally Posted by GBuckert
Well now that I wouldn't be the one reviving the tread from the depths, I haven't looked at my setup lately, but any input as to how this would work with the dual tube intakes? Such as the one on my '90 302. I wouldn't mind building one but I have a hard time imagining dual cone filters.
you could always do two cone filters

Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 AM
GBuckert
Senior User
Originally Posted by skyfox10
find a MAF 302 at a junkyard, grab the "Y piece" and tube from that and you're in business.
Ah, guess I never looked under the hood of any of the MAF 302s around here. Suppose I might as well pull the whole MAF if I find one. Now I'm going to need to do some searching to find out what all I'll need for the 302 AOD MAF conversion.

Originally Posted by mean green 91
you could always do two cone filters
I know, but I would have to keep them small enough to fit together, but that would still end up with a larger box than I'd like.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Mr. M
Elder User
If you don't isolate them from engine bay heat...it's a moot point with two "potentially" more efficient air filters. The OEM setup is a true cold air box. You need to improve upon the original systems potential before you will see gains. This setup utilizing a larger filter element and sealed aluminum box is still cheaper and more efficient than the $200 k&n system. I have almost 70,000 on this intake setup. Performed without a hiccup in the rain, mud, and sloppiness of the Pacific northwest.

All you need is the cone filter adapter ring to your TB size.. (Stock pickup is 75mm), and a conical filter. In my case, I use the AFE oiless filter now.

Originally Posted by skyfox10
While your at it...switch it up to a maf truck. The MAF truck will should see better gains than a SD truck pulling from a table than a system measuring air density...that is if you build a semi airtight box

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Exactly.....I'm doing mine, using the 302 Y piece, and piping it down and 45* elbowing it to the the front valence
Interesting choice. Pics please?

Ah, guess I never looked under the hood of any of the MAF 302s around here. Suppose I might as well pull the whole MAF if I find one. Now I'm going to need to do some searching to find out what all I'll need for the 302 AOD MAF conversion. I know, but I would have to keep them small enough to fit together, but that would still end up with a larger box than I'd like.
Should be a lot easier than any e4od powered pickup. If it's the vacuum controlled trans and not the electronic AOD you may be able to use a generic mustang eec. If it's the AOD-E then you have more money to spend.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:26 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Mr. M-I'm waiting on more funds....I've seemed to have ran into a dry cow so to speak.....

Basically, the idear I had, was a LOOONNNNNGGGGG CAI.....And wrap it with the thermal cloth to help keep the air colder, and denser...

BUT.....

I've been reading up on the WAI (Warm Air Intake), and it seems the whole fuel atomization occurs, when the air is WARM.....Seems the colder air/fuel mixture tends to stick to the sides of the intake manifold....

Whereas the warmer air (Which we all know warmer air expands) spreads the air/fuel molecules around, thus giving a more evenly mixed A/F mixture....

My idea may actually spawn into a C/WAI both....Using a electric choke of sorts, in reverse....As the engine warms up, CLOSE the choke, utilizing the warmer air for better MPG's.....And when the ambient air in the engine bay cools, have it OPEN....For more torque, such as in a pulling scenario.....Idk....Maybe even more advanced, maybe a MANUAL choke would be better....It'd give the option of MPG/Torque & Horsepower....

Just a thought to chew on....

Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 AM
punkandpissed138
Senior User
yup, new weekend project hahaha! im gonna try to make a mud/water blocker too since i live on a dirt road that has numerous mud puddles and what not.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:21 AM
GBuckert
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mr. M
Should be a lot easier than any e4od powered pickup. If it's the vacuum controlled trans and not the electronic AOD you may be able to use a generic mustang eec. If it's the AOD-E then you have more money to spend.
Heart points for that post full of info!

It's the AOD that's controlled by the TV cable attached to the TB. I have no idea if there's any vacuum, I asume it's the same as being operated by the cable. It is a '90 so it's pre-AOD-E as that came in '91 I think.

The intakes that I like best are those that are sealed off from the engine but open to the outside so I really like the option of being able to open the front to catch the air coming through the grill.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:24 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

GBuckert-The TV cable will adjust the shift points in the tranny also....Didn't know if ya already knew that....And if its the AOD, like in my 1991 Crown Vic, no, there aren't any vacuum lines...It's got the TV cable, and a MECHANICAL shifter linkage...Hence the need for the Ford AOD Kickdown Linkage on the carbs....

Also...If the tranny gets to shifting bad/randomly/sluggish, check the TV cable bushing....They tend to wear out...Thus causing issues...

Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM
GBuckert
Senior User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
The TV cable will adjust the shift points in the tranny also....Didn't know if ya already knew that....And if its the AOD, like in my 1991 Crown Vic, no, there aren't any vacuum lines...It's got the TV cable, and a MECHANICAL shifter linkage...Hence the need for the Ford AOD Kickdown Linkage on the carbs....

Also...If the tranny gets to shifting bad/randomly/sluggish, check the TV cable bushing....They tend to wear out...Thus causing issues...
That was my understanding, but at the mention of vacuum lines I wasn't so sure. As I'm understanding it, the hard part of the MAF conversion is getting a computer compatible with the tranny. If the tranny is mechanical then any 302 computer should work right?

Never heard about the bushing, I'll check it out. I adjusted the cable and changed fluid/filter to clear most everything up with the tranny, but that bushing probably needs looked at too. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:52 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

IIRC, the TV bushing is around the kickdown linkage....Somewhere...LOL

Also, IIRC, its a brass/Copper outfit......So yea....150k plus miles, its gonna wear some....

And as far as the 302 computer;

If its a ELECTRONIC tranny (E4OD/AODE) it will need the computer from whatever it came out of.....A mechanical, its just that, a mechanical linkage from the throttle.....It tells the tranny to shift when a certain POINT is reached, not a certain rpm, like in the electronic shifting units...

Thats the reason the place where a tranny shifts, is STILL called shift points...lol....

Old 04-29-2011, 11:54 AM
lew52
Postmaster
If you switch to mass air , you need a MA computer , sence you have an AOD a mustang computer would work good , or a computer from a MA truck with a stick , and if you enclose your air filter in a box it needs a good sized inlet to let the air in , it can't be air tight , and a good size box.....Lew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A REAL cold air box...and CHEAP!