Steel price increases worldwide

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:11 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steel price increases worldwide

Originally Posted by RexB
Steel prices are through the roof aren't they.
Originally Posted by Mr M
No...but aluminum sure has gone up. 75-80% in the past year.
No on steel? Where you buying steel stock in-state at the same prices? I'm shopping there.

And on the skyrocketing aluminum, I flatten out old alum boat trailer fenders and use it, new stock quantity isn't even affordable for the common guy anymore.
Originally Posted by Mr M
Cd'A Metals in Wenatchee. I believe there is one is Spokane as well.
Cd'A Metals is based in Spokane, more expensive than www.everettsteel.com due to freight costs inland from Everett/SeaTac ports, or truck/rail costs from Canada/East US. If they haven't greatly increased prices for the past four/five years then they are pulling steel out of thin air, because they sure aren't buying it at the same price on the market now as in the past.

Steel prices, raw materials up 35-50% since 2003

Will request a quote on steel Zpurlins and I-beam from your Cd'A over there, like I have from Everettsteel, Skagit Steel and OnlineMetals and if their prices are years-old then I'll load up what my flatbed can carry, 7 tons.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by RexB; 07-01-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That's what happens when we send all our production over to a third world country trying to be a first world country.
Try Farwest steel, if they do small quantities. The stuff they sell is digusting, coated in oily sooty stuff, but a lot cheaper than most. Pacific Welding supply doesn't have bad prices either.
Online Metals is about as expensive as you can get, since they are a small quantity "boutique" supplier.
If anybody comes across 1/8" aluminum sheet for a reasonable price, let me know- I need a piece about 6'x2' to do the dash in my 72.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our factory is 2 years behind because they sent all the casting work overseas years ago due to EPA restrictions at the foundries. It's getting the same way as the power industry and soon ther will be none in the states. I got 2 brothers working at the same mill down in Akansas (yep we be real hillbillies) and they keep having top upgrade every 2 to 3 years to meet EPA requirements. They've been warned that it may happen to them also and all they do is recycle not new.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yup- Kinda funny that they keep going on and on about pollution, making it so hard to even build a power plan, much less a refinery, then shoot down wind towers, dams, all kinds of clean alternatives. The really funny part is when they throw their slick-paper signs in the garbage, jump in their SUV and go home. Real environmental responsibility there-

Old 07-02-2007, 08:56 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
I used the last of flattened expanded metal sheets bought a few years ago for $32 each, now the price is high enough that thankfully a neighbor traded a sheet of it for some flat steel.

Originally Posted by Eric C.
...I got 2 brothers working at the same mill down in Akansas (yep we be real hillbillies) and they keep having top upgrade every 2 to 3 years to meet EPA requirements. They've been warned that it may happen to them also and all they do is recycle not new.
Another industry down the chute...American steel co's are barely hanging on, let's open another friggin' restaurant or something instead.

Arkansan hillbilly eh?...an uncle lives across the border in Ozark country...a dry county...I lived in Galena by Branson for a summer, its a poor town world famous for...er...moonshine and fighting, i guess.

Originally Posted by Ford_Six
If anybody comes across 1/8" aluminum sheet for a reasonable price, let me know- I need a piece about 6'x2' to do the dash in my 72.
1/8" at reasonable price, good luck. I DO have two 28" x 62" x 5/64" thick pieces for trade. They're boat trailer fenders in good shape, but you're going to beat them up anyway to fit. A salvage yard near you may somehow have old alum fenders that haven't already been scavenged.

Last edited by RexB; 07-02-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Mr. M
Elder User
Cd'A Metals is based in Spokane, more expensive than www.everettsteel.com due to freight costs inland from Everett/SeaTac ports, or truck/rail costs from Canada/East US. If they haven't greatly increased prices for the past four/five years then they are pulling steel out of thin air, because they sure aren't buying it at the same price on the market now as in the past.

Steel prices, raw materials up 35-50% since 2003

Will request a quote on steel Zpurlins and I-beam from your Cd'A over there, like I have from Everettsteel, Skagit Steel and OnlineMetals and if their prices are years-old then I'll load up what my flatbed can carry, 7 tons.

Thanks for the info.
I work with alot of aluminum for my boats and fish traps with the Fish and Wildlife Service. We've (or I guess any American Taxpayer) have been getting raped on bulk aluminum prices at our previous vendors. Every other month the price has been going up for the same slab of metal!

The budget folks think I'm crazy as my purchase orders get more and more expensive for the same work. God forbid we ever make a mistake welding too...Thats usually a $200-400 ....DOH!!

C'dA has treated us right as of late, and their prices aren't nearly as inflated. That is, as aluminum is concerned. My experience with steel is very limited.

I'd bet aluminum prices have more than doubled since 2003.