1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

pic of my turbo blade

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pic of my turbo blade

• what do y'all think, does look o.k.? as far as I know it has 270K miles on it. going to replace air filter system with Tymar Monday. If I drive to Woodbury I hope he has what I need.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Will this do until I get the Tymar to keep out dust and stuff. Rubber bands and very expensive plastic sandwich baggies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clarksclassiccars/674535233/

Old 06-30-2007, 03:53 PM
caseydudem
More Turbo
Talking I dont think so Tim

Wouldn't the turbo just suck those bags in, and that would cause a lot of problems. What happened to the old filter?

Old 06-30-2007, 04:05 PM
wreckit72
Elder User
Originally Posted by tndiesel
Will this do until I get the Tymar to keep out dust and stuff. Rubber bands and very expensive plastic sandwich baggies.

You are kidding right?

Old 06-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Riata_Ag
Senior User
I hate to be the first one to say it but

DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE WITH THE PLASTIC BAGGIE STRAPPED OT THE TURBO INLET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, the blades look fine, keep the K&N cleaned and oiled or install a different set up.

I have a peice of 4" exhaust pipe and a 6637 filter from Carquest in my truck, BUT, I have ran K&N for 200K+ miles in Cummins with NO PROBLEMS, BUT I kept them washed an oiled.

In my opinion, the people who have had bad luck with the K&N filter either damaged them when cleaning, did not clean often enough, or did not oil the filter properly.

Did I mention your blades look fine to me.

Before you ask, DO NOT use 2-stroke oil, engine oil, gear oil, etc on the K&N filter.............use only K&N filter oil for BEST results...........

Good Luck

Old 06-30-2007, 05:16 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Now I will be contradicting what Riata ag said. If you have big bucks burnin a hole in your wallet then keep runnin the K/N. We had this talk already, they dont seal and they flow to much dirt, no matter how oiled they are. I have seen guys that run k/n systems and oiled them every 1500 miles and they both ran through three turbo wheels. DONT RUN THE K/N! They are garbage, they always have been and always will be. Riata is the only one who has never had troubles with them so keep that in mind. Besides wouldn't you feel better driving your truck relaxed knowing that your tymar setup wont dust your turbo? Or you could drive nervous all the time worrying if your gonna have to replace a turbo if you drive through a breeze of dust. Its so simple its stupid. Riata loves k/n so much and they're so good yet he dosnt have one on his ford, does that tell you something or what? lol, Im just makin sure you do it right and dont loose out on a nice truck cause some guy told you to run a garbage filter. TYMAR ALL THE WAY!

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Riata_Ag
Senior User
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
Now I will be contradicting what Riata ag said. If you have big bucks burnin a hole in your wallet then keep runnin the K/N. We had this talk already, they dont seal and they flow to much dirt, no matter how oiled they are. I have seen guys that run k/n systems and oiled them every 1500 miles and they both ran through three turbo wheels. DONT RUN THE K/N! They are garbage, they always have been and always will be. Riata is the only one who has never had troubles with them so keep that in mind. Besides wouldn't you feel better driving your truck relaxed knowing that your tymar setup wont dust your turbo? Or you could drive nervous all the time worrying if your gonna have to replace a turbo if you drive through a breeze of dust. Its so simple its stupid. Riata loves k/n so much and they're so good yet he dosnt have one on his ford, does that tell you something or what? lol, Im just makin sure you do it right and dont loose out on a nice truck cause some guy told you to run a garbage filter. TYMAR ALL THE WAY!

Cowboy Steve
hey man, we don't know how long that filter has been on there, but I don't see anything that would lead me to believe the filter wasn't doing its job.......but anyway, I run the 6637 because its cheaper and just for the record, I am not an expert in the filter department, but I have never seen a filter on a 200+ hp engine as small as in these pics, looks like a K&N go-cart filter, is it the right one?

The K&N's I used were stock replacements in a '89, '92 & a '93 Dodge Cummins........they looked alot like a 6637 but shorter and went in stock box, drilled of course, on the pass. side fenderwell.................

on the subject, here is some trivia for you from: According to test by CAT and Cummins how many tablespoons of dirt do you think it would take to dust out an engine in a short period of time????

Old 06-30-2007, 05:26 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Come on guys! I mean until I get the new Tymar on there I will OBVIOUSLY not be running the engine until I do, duh!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:26 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
K/N is garbage, flows to much dirt. Dont use it any longer then you have to.

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-30-2007, 06:57 PM
61 uni
Posting Guru
you get your battery cables fixed?

Old 06-30-2007, 07:02 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That turbo wheel looks great! no doubt about it but still et rid of that K+N. They are bad news. I have seen it personally and many other experience with them on this site. Ifs it not leaking dirt already it will. your doing the right thing! Get a tymar and ditch that red t-shirt material thing.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:49 PM
echo95
Senior User
Your blades do look good. The Tymar is a great set up for the price. I would give them a call to make sure they have one ready for you. Easy folks to work with. Planning on getting a chip from BDP when I come back from my next trip.

I'm hoping the posters were being sarcastic thinking you would run the truck with a baggy on the intake.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:20 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by 61 uni
you get your battery cables fixed?
I had to stop and after the little I did and go do yard work for my Mother-in-law. Was it you or someone else that said I could get what I needed at Tractor supply for the battery cables and ends? If they have what I need I'm not sure I will know how to rig it all up.

I still ned to take off my old cables and won't be able to do it tonight. But they do have corrosion on the ends and terminals. Can I put Baking Soda and water on them tonight and do it tomorrow or is that bad to let that sit on there all night and in the morning? I would like to get a little head start if I can, we will back from church about 11 a.m. and I could start then.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:23 AM
tndiesel
Elder User

What is the part that I have the smaller baggie on? It has two phillips head screws on top holding it in place. It had a small hose coming from air filter to it.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:48 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what folks call the doghouse, it's the crankcase vent you see discussed in all the ccv mod threads.

Quick Reply: pic of my turbo blade