2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

centering the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:03 AM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
centering the steering wheel

hi all.... well, after getting my truck back from the shop for a camber kit/alignment, and a 650.00 bill, i still need my steering wheel centered a little. they did fix it some, but i think it still needs a touch more. so, on the rack and pinion setup, dont you just have to adjust the tie rod ends? my wheel is slightly to the right when going straight. so, cant i just thread the driver side in, and the pass side out by the same amount? is that how they do it in the shop? also, my wheel feels like there is a little bit of play in it. is there anyway to adjust that as well? thanks for all your help.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:05 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Alignment

Even though you've just had the truck aligned, go back to the shop and let them know that the steering wheel isn't level. That is part of the alignment. You have to turn the sleeves for the tie rod ends to do the wheel.
The steering wheel should have been locked down, straight and level when it was aligned. I do this for a living...........
Bob

Old 06-29-2007, 04:23 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to turn the sleeves for the tie rod ends to do the wheel.

Is that something that can be done at home? Mine is barely off center and I am about 4hrs away from the place that did my alignment? I noticed it when I picked it up but had other arrangements and didnt get time to make it back to the place that did the alignment.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:44 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ubereal2
Even though you've just had the truck aligned, go back to the shop and let them know that the steering wheel isn't level. That is part of the alignment. You have to turn the sleeves for the tie rod ends to do the wheel.
The steering wheel should have been locked down, straight and level when it was aligned. I do this for a living...........
Bob
the mech that did the work said that he centered it... and it is much closer that before, i just think it could go a hair more. it will probably be faster if i try it myself though... they get pretty busy there. i also asked him about the camber measurements, and i guess that he wasnt able to get it within oem specs without it pulling, so he got it as close as he could without pulling or wearing the tires too fast. does this sound normal? he put in a brand new aftermarket camber kit which i thought would have remedied this.

as for the wheel again, is it safe to assume that i could try it in my driveway so long as i run each side the same amount, as long as one goes in and one goes out? i figured i could go one revolution at a time and see what happens.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:04 PM
guessrow
Tuned
yes, you can

That's how, its done...I know I did it on my ranger a few times. It doesn't take much- a half turn does more than you'd think. Just note what you did- worst case scenario is you have to put it back to original condition.

-jim

Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 AM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
thats what i thought i would try.... i think my onlu options are to go in full turn increments though, since the joint is attached to the tie rod itself.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:35 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
ok, here is an update.... i adjusted the tie rod ends, and of course one turn on each is too much, in fact it was closer before i made the adjustment. so what i am wondering now, is there any way to adjust the rack and pinion position on the truck? if the whole thing could move over towards the pass side by maybe 1/16- 1/8 of an inch, i bet it would be just enough to re-center the wheel. thanks again !!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:34 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wouldn't move that rack for anything. After the alignment was done, that person should have driven the truck and checked the steering wheel to see how it looked, and how the truck drove. Specially after putting in a caster camber kit...........
If at all possible, see if you can get the tie rod sleves back where they where. then maybe go a half turn the other direction. When you did this you may have made you're toe setting wrong and wear tires...............

Old 07-01-2007, 09:55 AM
guessrow
Tuned
spin the inner shaft, not...

Spin the inner shaft that the tie rod mounts to.

You don't have to remove the ball joint to adjust the toe angle. Just loosen the jamb nut on the ball joint and spin the tube that the ball joint is threaded to. There is a special ball joint on the other end of that tube, so it will spin. You can do any amount of adjustment you want; 1/2 turn, 1/4 turn, etc.

Loosen the nut, mark the tube for future reference, spin some and drive it, adjust as needed.

good luck -jim

Old 07-01-2007, 03:38 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
thanks jim... i didnt know that you could do it without removing the tie rod ball joints... i will try it today.