Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Senior User

medicpg is starting off with a positive reputation.
1991 Ranger Ignition Switch Removal

I went to Start my truck last nite and the switch was stuck. It would not budge. Obviously it needs to be replaced. Anyone know how to remove it from the column?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Elder User

pgw85706 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe the steering lock is bound and not allowing the key to rotate? Does yours have the thumb lever to release the switch to rotate?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Senior User

medicpg is starting off with a positive reputation.
I forgot....I am at work now....It was midnite when we had the problem so I was a little punch drunk. My gut feeling is no
Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Posting Guru

ranger1999 Bob has a good reputation on FTE.ranger1999 Bob has a good reputation on FTE.ranger1999 Bob has a good reputation on FTE.
Robert Olson
well if its like most of them you pop the steering wheel off and remove the turn signal unit and there is a clip or screw in there that holds the switch in. My advice tho is to make sure that it is the switch 99% of the time its something with the linkage that jams it up. If you really think its the switch try shooting some WD40 up the keyhole first to make sure the pins in the cylinder arent gunked up. Ive never done one on the ranger im basing it on my experiences with the old GM columns which ive repaired a ton of over the years for my old cab company and some of the older work trucks we had
Old 06-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Posting Guru

wtroger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There is an issue with tab in the lock (where the key goes) that runs the I left the key in the ignition buzzer breaking off and jamming the lock so it will not turn. We use a dental pick to get these out. It is a common problem. you can look down in it with a light and see if the little brass sucker is in there. It can also be the linkage from the key to the switch but usually they just break (espescially with tilt wheel) and you can turn the lock forever and it desn't move the switch. I have not seen a switch itself jam I have seen them come apart and the vehicle not start or some accessories not work.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
1991, ford, ignition, located, lock, ranger, removal, replacement, switch