Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Senior User

joewaldner is starting off with a positive reputation.
302 efi to carb

I want to change my 302 fuel injected motor to carb what do I have to change besides the intake? .....
Old 06-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Post Fiend

Conanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud of
What vehicle is this in and what tranny does it have?

1990 5.0HO AOD XLT X-Cab F150 3.55LS, 1994 3.0L 5-sp x-cab Ranger 3.45, 2004 3.0L 5-sp X-cab Ranger Edge 4.10, 2004 2.5L 5-spd Subaru Legacy
1996 Kawasaki ZX11D, 2004 Honda 599, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
Old 06-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Senior User

this motor is not in a vehicle it was pulled from a 1991 crown vic I want to change it from fuel injected to carb to put it in a 1977 ford ltd II, seems how the motor in it blew up last week, the tranny in the ltd II is a 3 speed auto
Old 06-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Post Fiend

Conanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud of
Oh.. that should be a pretty easy swap then. I'm guessing the LTD also had a 302? If so you'll need the LTD intake and distributor, but you may have to change the drive gear on the distributor if the Vic motor has a roller cam. You'll know as soon as you remove the EFI intake, if there's a spider in the lifter valley it's a roller motor. That requires a steel distributor drive gear, you can pull the one off the EFI distributor with a common bearing puller, and press it back on the vacuum advance distributor. Use whatever other parts that make your life easier, like the accessory mounts and pulleys. If you have the complete set with the VIC motor you might consider using the serpentine belt system instead of the V belt setup.

1990 5.0HO AOD XLT X-Cab F150 3.55LS, 1994 3.0L 5-sp x-cab Ranger 3.45, 2004 3.0L 5-sp X-cab Ranger Edge 4.10, 2004 2.5L 5-spd Subaru Legacy
Old 06-28-2007, 04:05 PM
FTE Sponsor

PerfDistIgnition is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewaldner
I want to change my 302 fuel injected motor to carb what do I have to change besides the intake? .....
You will need a distributor with weights, springs, and a vacuum advance.

If you decide to get a new distributor, consider our custom curved Duraspark Distributor built with our new Full Length Oil Impregnated Bronze Bushing. The full length bushing improves timing stability and spark scatter. If stock appearance is not an issue, take a look at our one piece D.U.I. Distributor. Whether you choose the Duraspark or the D.U.I., we curve each on a distributor machine based on your engine combination. Please see them at:

http://www.performancedistributors.com/forddistributor.htm

Also, there is now an excellent installation article on the D.U.I. Distributor on the Ford-Trucks.com site at:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/358/article/DUI_Ignition_Installation_In_A_Ford_351W_V8.html
Old 06-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanski
Oh.. that should be a pretty easy swap then. I'm guessing the LTD also had a 302?
lol the ltd had a 351 windsor,..... but I do have an old 302 I can pull parts off...

lol a list would be nice so I dont come home with only half the parts I need
what is the weight difference of the 2 motors ?

Last edited by joewaldner; 06-28-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewaldner
lol the ltd had a 351 windsor,..... but I do have an old 302 I can pull parts off...

lol a list would be nice so I dont come home with only half the parts I need
what is the weight difference of the 2 motors ?
All 302s are the same so parts off an older motor will bolt up to a newer one. The 351 is totally different though, the intake and distributor won't fit on the 302. Both motors share heads so the exhaust manifolds can be reused, but the 351 is wider so the Y pipe will have to be narrowed.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanski
All 302s are the same so parts off an older motor will bolt up to a newer one. The 351 is totally different though, the intake and distributor won't fit on the 302. Both motors share heads so the exhaust manifolds can be reused, but the 351 is wider so the Y pipe will have to be narrowed.
I know the 351w is wider/different than the 302

good heads tip tho lol
will I need to change the heads ?

y pipe is toast (rusted) i was in the prosses of purchasing one :|$250.....good thing i didnt buy lol
Old 06-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Senior User

so ... I need
1. intake
2. carb
3. distributor
4. possibly drive gear for #3

anything else ????? I need to know today .. Im going out of town to get these parts
Old 06-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Senior User

what about timing chain cover and stuff for fuel flow :S ??

Last edited by joewaldner; 06-30-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
The EFI engine has an electric fuel pump and you'll need to pick up an electric fuel pump for a carb, otherwise you'd have to remove the timing cover and replace it with one that has a mechanical fuel pump mounting boss on it, and most likely you'd need to install a fuel pump eccentric on the cam. Much easier to just leave it alone and run an electric.

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Senior User

302 F-150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
or you could run an adjustable return style fuel pressure regulator like the Mallory 4309.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Posting Guru

pud is starting off with a positive reputation.
well the car hes putting it in has a mechanical pump, so theres no pump in the tank. You need 6-9psi IIRC for a carbed engine. If you run more you need a FPR like 302 F-150 mentioned to bleed the excess pressure back to the tank.
The heads on the replacement engine are better than the ones on the origional engine.
One other thing to think about is which direction the water pump is rotating, there was a point where they reversed the rotation on them. So the best way to avoid this problem is to run the old style pump with the v-belt set up, or do yourself a favour and run the late model WP with the serpentine system (if you have it)
Old 07-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Senior User

I have the complete motor and belt set up ...... so if the belt is already on the water pump turning it the right way ...... wouldnt that be fine as is ? :S

and I should just leave the timing cover and get an electric 6-9psi fuel pump, in the fuel line .... where would I pick one of those up ?

so far i need .....
the intake manifold
distributer (maybe steel drive gear)
in line fuel pump

carb off the 351w should fit on a 302? .... right

the distributer cap and roter, plugs and wires will all fit off the 351w.... right... I just put them on the car before it blew, only like 200 k on them
Old 07-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Posting Guru

pud is starting off with a positive reputation.
yeah the cap n rotor should fit...and yes the serpentine belt system on the donor engine, along with the water pump will all be ok when used together. I only mentioned that incase you decided to start mix n matching parts then you may run into an issue there.
Also as someone mentioned the Y pipe might be wider, Im not sure tho. However you will want the 302 exhaust manifolds, since the 302 is shorter. I tend to think tho that the Y pipe is the same width, I dont recall my bro having an issue with that when going from 302 to 351 in his truck.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W)

Tags
302, carb, efi, ford