6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Installed Sct 6.4 Tuner Wow!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 PM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only reason I posted that is because there is always some tree hugger that gets on here and bad mouths tuners....... And trust me just because they are E Range tires dont mean they wont run that speed, the speed rating is what they will "safely" run at not what there max potential is........

Old 07-02-2007, 11:10 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PSD6litre40
The only reason I posted that is because there is always some tree hugger that gets on here and bad mouths tuners....... And trust me just because they are E Range tires dont mean they wont run that speed, the speed rating is what they will "safely" run at not what there max potential is........
Ok, I am not trying to be a A hole here, but I guess I look at the whole vehical as a unit - so here goes that's see if I can articulate a different thought pattern that I have, or that others might have, but at the end of the day, each of us has to come to his or her own conclusions and thoughts -

I checked into them, normal E rated tires were rated at a max of 85 mph. Interesting, not that I am against tuners, but maybe in certain circumstances this is the exact reason why tuners are not so good ? If we are allowed to create something that runs not a little past the capability of the tires, but by a whole lot, is there not the risk that innocent people can get hurt? This is where I say the freedom to modify is not the right to create a unsafe condition or endanger others.

Maybe we should take the German approach here - if you modify a vehical to go faster than as produced, by law you also have to upgrade everything else affected by the increased speeds. Guess maybe that is why even the unlimited sections of the Autobaugn have a better safety record that our American freeways.

I cite the case of two innocents killed by a person in my state fairly recently. There was a newer Super duty hauling down the left lane pulling a 32' trailer, lost control and the rig went sideways. The trailer crossed into the oncoming traffic, and two people lost there lives for the Ford's driver gross negelence and failure to follow several traffic laws.

Not only was this guy speeding, in the left lane illegally, but his rig was lifted, he had a drop hitch with a rather long trailer and no sway control. He also had a proven history of bragging at how fast he could pull his trailer with the mods done to his truck. High center of gravity, leverage action on the hitch and failure to follow the TOWING speed limit of 60 mph - he was not even at the higher car speed of 70 mph, he was going 78 - 80 mph. FYI - In the State of Washington, all trucks and cars pulling trailers are limited to 60 mph with a trailer, and to top it off, cars and trucks pulling trailers are not allowed in the left lane, even to pass, on a three lane or wider freeway.

Bottom line to me is that speed does not kill, it does make it eaisier to get killed however. Does this guys bad driving affect me ? YES - they dropped the speed limit on the section of the freeway and now it takes me longer to get where I am going ! Now I can't go as fast safetly as I could - and we have more state laws restricting speeds, all because this guy had no clue. But he lots of power - big deal. A stock Ford super duty would have pulled that trailer down the right two lanes at the legal speeds - and two people would not be dead and I would not be inconvienced.

Personally I liked Montana's "Reasonable and Prudent" speed law. - 85 mph in a Chevette was probably unsafe - 150 mph in a Porshe 911 was probably ok - as quoted by a Montana state trooper. 153 mph in a Ford truck on tires rated at 85 mph on a public hiway / street would definatly fall under the "unsfafe, and not reasonable nor prudent", at least by the Montana state trooper's opinion.

My two cents - David

Last edited by dmanlyr; 07-02-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 PM
kevinesslinger
New User
Originally Posted by PSD6litre40
Thats what they said about the 6.0 too....... Well all these people get on here and squall about the 6.0 warranty problems related to tuners. I am here to tell you that I had a 04 F-250 6.0 that remained stock for the 50K miles and it was in the shop 6 times with Turbo issues, Injector problems, and transmission problems. My 06 has been through hell and back and the only issue has been a fuel tank sender and its at 38K and the EGT gauge has been to 1700* and had the water to 245* on a Top speedrun that I let out at 153 MPH according to the GPS. So tell me now that tuners are bad for the trucks.......
Running 153mph in a 4wd, diesel truck with a tuner? Given a 3.73:1 rear end with 33" tires would require around 4150rpm. I know those 6.0s turn higher rpms then the 7.3s but do they really turn that high? I remember seeing the Gen II Lightning topping out at around 147mph which is a lot smaller, lighter truck, with a lot less aerodynamic drag. It just seems a little optmistic to me.

Kevin

Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
I did 143

Originally Posted by kevinesslinger
Running 153mph in a 4wd, diesel truck with a tuner? Given a 3.73:1 rear end with 33" tires would require around 4150rpm. I know those 6.0s turn higher rpms then the 7.3s but do they really turn that high? I remember seeing the Gen II Lightning topping out at around 147mph which is a lot smaller, lighter truck, with a lot less aerodynamic drag. It just seems a little optmistic to me.

Kevin
Kevin,

As a seasoned 6.0L tuner (not the 6.4), I can tell you I personally surpassed 140 MPH (143 to be "exact"), and recorded it on data acquisition.
It was real.

The torque of the diesel and the load induced boost increase of the turbo is what allows it to move that brick through the wind so fast. It can keep accelerating because the power is still greater than the wind....to a certain point =o)

In my case, it was 143 MPH on a stock 6.0L, 4 door, short bed, 2WD, auto, 3.73 with the old, old, original Superchips 1704 tune.
The truck was barely broken in at the time, so I imagine it could get a little "looser" and make more power. I still had RPM left, but had no nerve to continue and it was beginning to barely accelerate further.

Please don't try this at home.
The tires are not rated for it, plus a truck isn't characteristically pinned to the road.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:19 AM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry guys but can we get back to the subject about the SCT 6.4 tuner, not 6.4 warrenties, not 6.0 Warrenties, and not 153 MPH 6.0s we can make other threads for that.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdecker88
Sorry guys but can we get back to the subject about the SCT 6.4 tuner, not 6.4 warrenties, not 6.0 Warrenties, and not 153 MPH 6.0s we can make other threads for that.

Thanks
Well I do agree that this is not about 6.0 warrantees - However, it is my opinion that this is about 6.4 warrantees and 153 mph hour Fords, WHEN they are affected or directly related issues that might come up with the use of the SCT tuner.

If we were dealing with 6.4 warrantees or top speed of Fords not equipped with a SCT tuner, then by all rights, I agree those should be seperate threads.

Even most tuner web sites that I have checked out discuss factory warrantees and the removal of top speed govenors / limiters. So this definaly makes it a important consideration in the installation and use of a tuner.

My considered opinion - David

Last edited by dmanlyr; 07-03-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
There was some discussion about this way back when on the 6.0 forum and I did some calcs on wind drag, rolling resistance, and power output based on the stock and tuned dyno charts I had.

I figured the stock top speed and tuned top speed. I'm sure that a search will still turn up those posts.

Without going back and looking up my calc's, my recollection was that a stock truck with speed limiter removed would likely do about 127 or 132, something like that. The main limiting factor was that the factory starts defueling at 3500 or 3600, or somewhere there abouts, I forget exactly.

I don't remember what kind of speed the tuned truck would likely turn. I can say that my SCMT tuned 6.0 was only just starting to stretch its legs at 110 - about as fast as I ever ran it.

I believe Vic's 143 MPH number.

Originally Posted by Vic_Ferrari
Kevin,

As a seasoned 6.0L tuner (not the 6.4), I can tell you I personally surpassed 140 MPH (143 to be "exact"), and recorded it on data acquisition.
It was real.

The torque of the diesel and the load induced boost increase of the turbo is what allows it to move that brick through the wind so fast. It can keep accelerating because the power is still greater than the wind....to a certain point =o)

In my case, it was 143 MPH on a stock 6.0L, 4 door, short bed, 2WD, auto, 3.73 with the old, old, original Superchips 1704 tune.
The truck was barely broken in at the time, so I imagine it could get a little "looser" and make more power. I still had RPM left, but had no nerve to continue and it was beginning to barely accelerate further.

Please don't try this at home.
The tires are not rated for it, plus a truck isn't characteristically pinned to the road.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:10 PM
SuperDutyJ4500
Elder User
Just because a box gives you the power, doesnt mean that you have to use it. You are the one that controls the power. A little logic and common sense and control of your right foot can do wonders.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:15 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SuperDutyJ4500
Just because a box gives you the power, doesnt mean that you have to use it. You are the one that controls the power. A little logic and common sense and control of your right foot can do wonders.
Thus is the problem with so many that buy the tuners. They lack common sense and the know how to operate the vehicle that has a tuner upgrade. These are usually the guys that run the SCT box without a pyro or the guys that use tuners, burn their engines down and are down at the dealership that day cussin out the dealer cause they wont warranty his screw up. You guys have gotten way off topic and you need to stick to the original topic. Tire ratings and 6.0 warranties belong in another forum.

Cowboy Steve

Old 07-04-2007, 09:25 PM
SuperDutyJ4500
Elder User
I love the display for the SCT..it just looks awesome. I like how you can adjust which parameter shows up in the big box area of the screen by turning the wheel, thats just awesome.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:30 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Im just waiting for the 450 tuner to hit the market, then I'll be buyin one up! Let the smoke roll baby! haha

Cowboy Steve

Old 07-05-2007, 02:00 AM
darsey715
Senior User
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
These are usually the guys that run the SCT box without a pyro or the guys that use tuners, burn their engines down and are down at the dealership that day cussin out the dealer cause they wont warranty his screw up.
how often does this really happen? do you know someone that knows someone? Or is this just an over exaggerated example? If you've got the money to buy a 6.4 and got the money to mod the hell out of it then you just might have enough money to pay for any repairs that result from the mods, if you're just that rich. If you've got the money, do it! who cares. this is america, home of the free. not america, home of fte guidelines and rules.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:44 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darsey715
how often does this really happen? do you know someone that knows someone? Or is this just an over exaggerated example? If you've got the money to buy a 6.4 and got the money to mod the hell out of it then you just might have enough money to pay for any repairs that result from the mods, if you're just that rich. If you've got the money, do it! who cares. this is america, home of the free. not america, home of fte guidelines and rules.
Thats my whole point. I don't think it really happens that often. Either way I have never had problems with them. As soon as one is out for the 450 I will be trying it out.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:56 AM
BUCKY44
Freshman User
The SCT for the F450 is the same as the F250/350 Brad told me the only difference is the engine code but you can use it on any of them. I have one here for my friends F450 putting it on today...

Old 07-05-2007, 01:43 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by darsey715
Did you read the thread that started this topic? lol

Cowboy Steve

Quick Reply: Installed Sct 6.4 Tuner Wow!!!!