6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Installed Sct 6.4 Tuner Wow!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well since the truck was being run hard, and as admited, with no idea of EGT's, it is anyones guess how the long the engine will last or even if it has been damaged by the use of a tuner without proper monitoring.

I would hate to be the buyer of this truck used.

David

Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet if you dropped the airbox and dpf combo you would see higher boost numbers. Glad to hear SCT has a tuner out that'll compete with Superchips.

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-28-2007, 04:51 PM
misterfisher
Tuned
Anyone know if Ford can tell you have tuned the thing after you program it back to stock and disconnected the battery?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
From what I've heard, yes they can and any such mods or installments of aftermakret chips, tuners, or programmers will void out your warranty. Ford issued a flyer to my loacl dealer with those statemnets on it. I wanna know what they're gonna do when somebody gets a lawsuit goin saying they are black balling the aftermarket performance demand. Only time will tell

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-28-2007, 05:56 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
From what I've heard, yes they can and any such mods or installments of aftermakret chips, tuners, or programmers will void out your warranty. Ford issued a flyer to my loacl dealer with those statemnets on it. I wanna know what they're gonna do when somebody gets a lawsuit goin saying they are black balling the aftermarket performance demand. Only time will tell

Cowboy Steve
Please don't take this personally Steve, you sound like a smart guy who knows that you have to pay to play, this is aimed more at those who don't understand the issues involved. Newbies so to speak that think you can do anything to a mechanical device and have no dire results. So...

I would hope that justice would prevail and Ford would win. Ford, and by extension other new truck buyers should not be paying for other users play time. Tuners have there place for sure. But if Ford/Navistar designs a engine for a paticular horsepower and torque rating, and will stand behind it with a warrentee at those rated levels, then no one should demand or get any warrentee coverage on the failed parts if raising those horsepower or torque levels cause a failure.

If was just as easy as Ford installing a different tuner package on there trucks to get more horsepower, Ford would do it at the factory, as it would cost nothing to Ford and it would if give them bragging rights over the competion, which would translate into truck sales. Win Win for Ford, if the engine could take it with all drivers, all loads, all climates.

To me, tuners are for the enthusiasts - those who have abit more ability to realize that it costs money to go fast. I for one as a potential new truck buyer do not want to pay a higher price for a new truck as Ford passes along increased warantee costs. This is not fair to me, make those who modify pay for there own experimentation or mistakes.

I find it very interesting that the first poster who started this whole thread had no idea of the EGT's, but was crowing about how much power it made. But at what cost? If you take a worse case senario, and there are internal engine problems for this mistake, or oversite, should Ford pay for that? Absolutly not. If there are no problems, good lesson learned, and Ford still pays nothing, which is the only fair thing.

But I will say that denying warrantee coverage on say a failed front ball joint, would have nothing to do with a tuner. And as such should be fully covered. If Ford is rejecting all warrentee claims on any truck that is modified, then I would have to say that they are facing a law suite that Ford most likely loose.

My two cents - David

Old 06-28-2007, 06:09 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
But I will say that denying warrantee coverage on say a failed front ball joint, would have nothing to do with a tuner. And as such should be fully covered. If Ford is rejecting all warrentee claims on any truck that is modified, then I would have to say that they are facing a law suite that Ford most likely loose.

My two cents - David
This is what I was more or less talking about. Ford states that any tuners, chips, or programmers will void warranty completely. In my book I agree that if a guy runs a tuner with no EGT gauge and burns down the motor then he should have to pay to replace it not Ford. But if I loose power steering and Ford wont warranty it because I have a Tuner then they are gonna have a law suit that they will not win. If Ford says they wont warranty my truck cause I removed the DPF cat combo then they will have a law suit on there hands. It just that simple. I bought the truck to work with and in stock form it works well but Im greedy and I know it can work sooo much better if I give it a little tune here and a mod there.

What Im saying David is that I agree with you completely, but if Ford tries to dik me over cause some retard burned his truck down and they think Im gonna be the same way then were gonna have a law suit. Either way It doesnt matter to me, warranty or not. The truck is what i paid for and I will do to it as I please, and if i have to pay to play then so be it. That just how I role.

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 PM
fatheadon1
Junior User
i dont know about you guys but im driving a ford with the 6.0 and not a chevy or dodge for the gas motor like power and the great abilty to make more power and i would not owen this truck if i could not do this and still have my 5 100k on the motor my dealer has never said anythign about my banks setup but my truck has 60k on it and never had anything wrong with the motor my two friend with f250 and 6.0 stock have had head gaskets done and mine are good . i feel ford will lose a lot of sales if you can no tune there trucks and that will raise the price of your truck cuz they will not be selling as many

Old 06-28-2007, 08:52 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fatheadon1
i dont know about you guys but im driving a ford with the 6.0 and not a chevy or dodge for the gas motor like power and the great abilty to make more power and i would not owen this truck if i could not do this and still have my 5 100k on the motor my dealer has never said anythign about my banks setup but my truck has 60k on it and never had anything wrong with the motor my two friend with f250 and 6.0 stock have had head gaskets done and mine are good . i feel ford will lose a lot of sales if you can no tune there trucks and that will raise the price of your truck cuz they will not be selling as many
May want to read your 6.0 warranty book a little closer. When you have head gasket or EGR cooler problems ( and you will with the Banks system) FMC will not cover this failure under warranty do to the A/M power module you have installed. The dealer is not the only one making the warranty call, when it comes to major repairs, ie head gaskets. EGR Cooler etc, FMC sends and inspector to the dealer to look at your truck and if they detect signs of a Performance module they will not repair the truck under warranty. The bill for repairs will be given to you.

Since when is any manufacture supposed to pay for failures do to a customers A/M modifications to the OEM product?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:58 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Since when is any manufacture supposed to pay for failures do to a customers A/M modifications to the OEM product?
Thats what is being debated. I dont feel ford should have to pay for a faulty turbo if im running a tuner that superceeds its efficeny range. But if i loose my windsheild wipers, FMC better be warranty'n it cause it has nothing to do with my tuner, you follow?

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow sounds like a good difference i bet your truck just flys pretty funner now too

Old 06-28-2007, 09:15 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
Thats what is being debated. I dont feel ford should have to pay for a faulty turbo if im running a tuner that superceeds its efficeny range. But if i loose my windsheild wipers, FMC better be warranty'n it cause it has nothing to do with my tuner, you follow?

Cowboy Steve
I follow 100% and FMC will not wholesale void your bumper to bumper warranty for an A/M product. If you install larger windshield wiper blades than OEM and the wiper motor fails then FMC can void the wiper warranty. If you install an A/M performance module that increases Hp & Torque, then FMC can and does void the Powertrain warranty.

So yes you and i are on the same page. You gotta pay to play.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:06 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I mostly agree with what has been said here, there was a big jump made in the logic. It is not a sure thing that the dealer will know if a tuner has been installed and it is not a sure thing that the dealer will void warranty work due to a tuner. I know at least one dealer in these parts that installs Banks products and maintains the warranty.

However I do agree that Ford should not be responsible for repairing parts that could REASONABLY be associated with the aftermarket changes. By the same token tuners have been a relatively inexpensive way to hop up diesels for a long time and have been put on virtually every type of motor out there. As far as I know there is no emperical data available that shows these motors fail any more than non-tuned motors. The determining factor in a motor failing is usually the person driving the vehicle.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:19 PM
misterfisher
Tuned
Originally Posted by kimminau2
Although I mostly agree with what has been said here, there was a big jump made in the logic. It is not a sure thing that the dealer will know if a tuner has been installed and it is not a sure thing that the dealer will void warranty work due to a tuner. I know at least one dealer in these parts that installs Banks products and maintains the warranty.

However I do agree that Ford should not be responsible for repairing parts that could REASONABLY be associated with the aftermarket changes. By the same token tuners have been a relatively inexpensive way to hop up diesels for a long time and have been put on virtually every type of motor out there. As far as I know there is no emperical data available that shows these motors fail any more than non-tuned motors. The determining factor in a motor failing is usually the person driving the vehicle.
So upping the power output of the engine %30 is not going to affect the longevity of the engine, transmission and driveline in any way at all?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:47 AM
fatheadon1
Junior User
Originally Posted by blackhat620
May want to read your 6.0 warranty book a little closer. When you have head gasket or EGR cooler problems ( and you will with the Banks system) FMC will not cover this failure under warranty do to the A/M power module you have installed. The dealer is not the only one making the warranty call, when it comes to major repairs, ie head gaskets. EGR Cooler etc, FMC sends and inspector to the dealer to look at your truck and if they detect signs of a Performance module they will not repair the truck under warranty. The bill for repairs will be given to you.

after reading your posts about the banks being bad for my truck i took it out and sold it i was saying my truck has 60k tunned miles on never problem my frends x with 30k on it stock 2 turbo my friend 04 f250 headgaskets and egr and turbo all be for 50k his dads turbo be for 30 all stock my truck 60k only problem was an egr
what im saying for what i see its not a tunner that it gonna break the motors or trucks its the way they are driven either way i feel ford makes it they should cover it unless you have a ruck with 10k on it with the turbo blown and the tires are bald and the brake rotors are warped then the truck has been beat to sh!! and that guy does not deserve a warr

as for blackhat YOU HAVE MADE YOUR POINT THAT YOU FEEL BANKS IS BAD FOR THE 6.0 and i took mine out and sold it

Old 06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
herman391
Posting Guru
Here's a thought, if ford doesn't want aftermarket performance mods on their trucks I.E chips, then why don't they develop their own chip and make it a factory or aftermarket option that will not void the FoMoCo warrenty? ARE YOU LISTENING FORD!?!?!

Quick Reply: Installed Sct 6.4 Tuner Wow!!!!