Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Some questions about towing....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:06 AM
There Goes The Neighborhood
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions about towing....

and what could help make the truck better. I have a 2002 F250 2WD SB EC AT 4 inch exhaust, K&N FIPK. Otherwise stone stock. I have to be honest, and say that 18-22 MPG @65-70 empty is quite awesome, and I'll never drive another gasser.

Lately, I've been towing quite a bit more because little brother started racing a dirt late model, and the enclosed car hauler we use brings total combined weight to around 17,500#. What I've noticed is that at 65 MPH, mileage drops to around 10-11 MPG, and, overall the truck feels a little doggy. Regular oil and fuel filter changes, and the blades on the turbo look great. With most of the money going into the racecar, we need the most reliable setup we can get, but, a little more mileage and power would be nice.

What I'm asking is, would a swap to the 6637 filter and a 40 HP Tow tune from DP bring EGT"S too high? If I remember correctly, I talked to Jody and the 40 HP tune actually lowered EGT's compared to stock.

Also, it's time for a coolant flush. Would Shell ELC be the way to go?

Unfortunately, at this time, I can't afford an F5 and multiple tunes, and EGT and Boost guages are out of the question. I'm just looking for a little more mileage and a possibly safer tune, and an increase in reliability. 125,xxx miles and still going strong, thanks to the advice from here so far.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:45 AM
VQ2Fast4U
Senior User
Your gonna need gauges if you plan on running any tunes other than stock while towing. $300 for gauges is cheap insurance when it comes to your truck. But proper tire pressure, and keep up on regular maintance will help. For coolant I went with Zerex G05 from napa.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:20 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you want to do any tuneing you at least have to have a EGT gauge..yes 40 hp tune is the way to go..but things still get hot..yes shell ELC will work

Last edited by ron's power stoke; 06-27-2007 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
With my 5" Cannon exhaust and Ford AIS intake system it was easy to drive the EGT's to 1300 degrees using only the Diablo Predator Tow/Haul tune on a good sized hill.
I restored it to stock tuning for EGT safe driving. Didn't want to crack a piston.
I have the wastegate connected and I can still drive the boost to 24 or so psi when pulling the trailer.
Do you have the 3.73 rear end?

Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

What gear ratio do you have? thats the biggest factor in towing. the gears that get you good mileage empty will not get give you much power towing. simple math. don't change anything until you get some guages. you've got to be able to see it-to measure it- to control it. then add the tuner etc. you wouldn't run the race car with out a tach and oil pr. and water temp. don't tow without a pyro. I pretty much drive by mine.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Elder User
Alright. Thanks for all the responses. Now, to answer some of your questions:

VQ2Fast4U: Gauges would be awesome. I'm curious as to what I'm doing right now. I never push it hard with a load, never going past 50% throttle. Nice and easy, no rush, we'll race when we get to the track sorta thing.

Ron: I know a Pyro would be best. That's why I haven't done any tuning as of yet. I guess I was just asking out loud if a 40 tune would be somewhat safe given my current mods. I want gauges bad, as well as a tune, but right now there is 'insufficient fundulation' for either. ELC it is, then.

Kwik: I guess that answers the question about if it'd be safe with my mods. I do have
3.73's. I guess what irks me is that it just feels gutless below 1500 RPM, which is ~ 55 in OD. If I run at around 1800 RPM, approx. 65, it feels much more peppy, and for some reason, I net better fuel economy.

bfife: A gear change would help, but, if I'm going that far, I may as well sell the truck, get a '99 or '00 Dually and a beater for daily driving. At my size( I'm 6'7", 345) not too many vehicles fit me that well. Besides, I like my current truck because it's mine, it's trouble free, and it does a decent job. I'm just wanting to make it a little better. I know I can't expect 16 MPG while towing a 10,500 lb, 11x8.5 ft box, but, maybe a little better than this.

Now, as for what to do.

1. Not tune, and just focus on upgrading for reliability
2. Sell or trade for an older, lower mileage F350 Dually. I have no need for 4WD. With the dually, I'd be giving up between 3-5 Highway MPG, but, moving closer to town, I'll be on the highway less, and it makes better sense for pulling the toys around.
3. Start dropping money on upgrades for the current truck. Gauges, tuner, Rear Gear, etc.

Well, now for some opinions on that. Let me know what you think.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:18 AM
15 and 92 Dad
Senior User
Super chips sell a tow tune (chip) 60hp that you do not neet a pyro or boost. Any thing more they recomend guages, I ran it for 5 yrs before switching and never had any problems, even when I did get a set of guages i was surprised to see how low the EGT's stayed with that chip (never saw anything above 1150*) while towing enclosed trailer. Like you I was racing and couldnt afford all the bells and whistles. But now after having all the bells and whistles it would be tough to go back.
Rich

Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
You could always pop it out of OD for when you have to go 55.
Funny thing about gearing while heavy. Sometimes you get better mileage by spinning the engine faster because it develops better power above 2000 rpm. So if you cannot buy a rear axle, just drop a gear in the trans for the same effect.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:15 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You could get a 40 hp or 60 hp tow PCM from Jody ($75, I think with exchange) and a pyro/tranny temp gauge. You will love towing with the Jody's PCM flash...shifts better and you will definitely feel the difference. I tow a 21' box trailer with my car and it justs purrs down the interstate . I wouldn't run any PCM/tuner without a minimum of those two gauges though. I personally saw no change in EGT's when I swapped out my PCM with Jody's.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:05 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

A gear change on a 2WD isn't that expensive. However it will cost you MPG when empty. Kwiks got something when He says down shift. IT will feels gutless below 1500 RPM when towing. I never could tow anything heavy below 2000, 1800 RPM minimum.
This engine has to have a few RPM's to develop any boost.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Yeah, Barney these engines are pretty much unstoppable at 2400 rpm if they are running right.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Elder User
Hmm. I feel a little dumb now, but, we'll give the 3rd gear trick a go this weekend. I guess I got used to the get it into 4th as quick as possible, without breaking 2000 bit, and let it override my towing fun. I mean, when it would force a downshif pulling a hill, it would pull like gangbusters and, before I knew it, I'd be doing 70. 3000 RPM with that kind of load sounds great, and I'm beginning to wonder how a straight pipe would sound, lol.

Thanks again, guys.

BTW, my brother and I have a wager going. He got a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 with the 6.0 gasser. He thinks it'll out tow me, and get better mileage doing so. I highly doubt it, as the only time I've ever seen those engines make power is in the 3600-5500 RPM range, and at 2400 @ 55 MPH, I think he's a bit shy of his torque curve yet. What do you guys think?

Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
My buddy has same truck/says the same thing. I offered to buy his fuel if he could deliver... he lost!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:03 AM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
If that was the case then every 18 wheeler would be using a gasser..

Old 06-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by There Goes The Neighborhood
BTW, my brother and I have a wager going. He got a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 with the 6.0 gasser. He thinks it'll out tow me, and get better mileage doing so. I highly doubt it, as the only time I've ever seen those engines make power is in the 3600-5500 RPM range, and at 2400 @ 55 MPH, I think he's a bit shy of his torque curve yet. What do you guys think?
Take his bet.
When I first bought my trailer I tried to tow it with a 1995 F250 with a 460 E4OD,4.10 gears, Banks SS headers. The thing was very fast for a truck. Despite all that, I was down into first gear on the mountain passes.
Now with this diesel, I shift down once and just keep going.
If you keep your engine ABOVE 2000 rpm while towing, he doesn't stand a chance unless he has a 5.30 axle.

Quick Reply: Some questions about towing....