Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-25-2007, 01:28 PM
surfer55's Avatar
surfer55 surfer55 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tri-Cities
Posts: 25
surfer55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mono Leaf Springs

I have a 1955 Ford F-100 Chassis that I am rebuilding, I pulled the original spring packs of the back and found that the main leaf was broken .

I want to keep the frame original but I also want to lower the truck.

I was thinking about monos cuz then I can always go back later and switch back to original springs.

Have any of you guys put monos on your trucks?

How will they effect the steering, ride etc.


P.S. I am putting them on front and back and keeping the original steering and rearend. I am also droping in a small block chevy and wondering if the monos will be able to hold the weght ok.

Any comments or suggestions you guys have would be grat thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Randy Jack's Avatar
Randy Jack Randy Jack is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Riverside, So Cal
Posts: 4,190
Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a 56. It had busted rear main leafs when I bought it and I replaced those spring packs with monos. I have been running them for 3 years.

There are many stories about monos breaking and unlike the stock spring pack, when a mono busts, you're toast. I haven't seen any signs of failure, but plan to change back to leaf spring stacks for the following reasons:
1. Wheel hop like you can't believe. I suppose if you NEVER got on it, there would be no problem.
2. I had to add traction bars to handle the wheel hop. It does that, but only half of the spring is really working under acceleration load. Even the broken spring didn't let the wheels hop, so this is a major problem with monos.
3. Upon initial install, the monos were MUCH stiffer than the stockers. They have loosened up to be softer than I remember the stock ones to be. That worries me. In my experience, springs don't change their rate over time, but these have.
4. The monos actually sat the truck a little higher than it was (with the busted leaf), so I added 2" drop shackles to get the rear down some more.

My plan is to do what a lot of folks here have done: use a reverse eye main leafs and drop every other leaf from the stock stack down to a total of 4 leafs (min) to get the same lowering I now have. That will give me the same or lower ride height, but I can dial in exactly what I want by playing with how many leafs I leave in. I probably won't need the traction bars either. I will feel safer and the springs will be a true progressive rate like Henry originally designed.

Since the stock leaf pack is less expensive than the monos, your choice should be simplified also.

Welcome to FTE!!!
__________________
Randy Jack
56 F100 Street Rod Daily Driver

Growing OLD is mandatory. Growing UP is optional.
Inside every old guy is a younger guy wondering what the heck happened.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
havi's Avatar
havi havi is offline
I'll have the Roast Duck
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mental Ward room 48
Posts: 9,230
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Havi Proprietor
Midfifty catalog shows the "down-and-forward" spring assembly designed for small blocks at just about $40 more than monos. not only do they give you 3" drop, but they also move the front axle forward an 1 1/4" to center the wheel in the wheelwell. (lengthened draglink required) My F1 is getting the reverse eye every other leaf treatment, but with the roads I drive on, a 4" lift might be required, lol.
__________________
1949 F6
1948 F1
1946 Tonner
The rest are just average.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-25-2007, 05:53 PM
4tl8ford's Avatar
4tl8ford 4tl8ford is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Erie, pa
Posts: 7,060
4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Mono's nor spring packs will work well with a chevy engine in a Ford Truck!
__________________
Dick C
Erie, PA
1948 Ford F1 Panel
1952 Ford F2x2 (Non-Stock Flat 6)
1997 Ford Explorer
Every Thing I've Ever Said Is A Lie
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 PM
rtcalabrojr's Avatar
rtcalabrojr rtcalabrojr is offline
Darksider
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Burlington, CT
Posts: 1,422
rtcalabrojr is starting off with a positive reputation.
do the monos just bolt in with out any changes? RT
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2007, 02:04 PM
surfer55's Avatar
surfer55 surfer55 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tri-Cities
Posts: 25
surfer55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
I have a 56. It had busted rear main leafs when I bought it and I replaced those spring packs with monos. I have been running them for 3 years.

There are many stories about monos breaking and unlike the stock spring pack, when a mono busts, you're toast. I haven't seen any signs of failure, but plan to change back to leaf spring stacks for the following reasons:
1. Wheel hop like you can't believe. I suppose if you NEVER got on it, there would be no problem.
2. I had to add traction bars to handle the wheel hop. It does that, but only half of the spring is really working under acceleration load. Even the broken spring didn't let the wheels hop, so this is a major problem with monos.
3. Upon initial install, the monos were MUCH stiffer than the stockers. They have loosened up to be softer than I remember the stock ones to be. That worries me. In my experience, springs don't change their rate over time, but these have.
4. The monos actually sat the truck a little higher than it was (with the busted leaf), so I added 2" drop shackles to get the rear down some more.

My plan is to do what a lot of folks here have done: use a reverse eye main leafs and drop every other leaf from the stock stack down to a total of 4 leafs (min) to get the same lowering I now have. That will give me the same or lower ride height, but I can dial in exactly what I want by playing with how many leafs I leave in. I probably won't need the traction bars either. I will feel safer and the springs will be a true progressive rate like Henry originally designed.

Since the stock leaf pack is less expensive than the monos, your choice should be simplified also.

Welcome to FTE!!!

I was wondering about "weel hop" I definitly plan to lay down some rubber every once in awhile.
Were did you get the reverse eye packs from?? If I do the same thing you are going to do what about the front end??

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Randy Jack's Avatar
Randy Jack Randy Jack is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Riverside, So Cal
Posts: 4,190
Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer55
I was wondering about "weel hop" I definitly plan to lay down some rubber every once in awhile.
Were did you get the reverse eye packs from?? If I do the same thing you are going to do what about the front end??
Mid Fifty (1-800-252-1956) is a good source for the springs. They offer just the reverse-eye main leaf so you can use the other leafs you already have, or you can buy the whole spring stack with a reverse-eye main leaf. I would also replace the bushings and pins. They also carry front springs in the same setup.

Get a Mid Fifty catalog, if you don't already have one. It has some really great illustrations and instructions. You should also have a Shop Manual. It is invaluable.

There may be other sources, including some of our sponsors. I'm just not familiar with them.
__________________
Randy Jack
56 F100 Street Rod Daily Driver

Growing OLD is mandatory. Growing UP is optional.
Inside every old guy is a younger guy wondering what the heck happened.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-26-2007, 10:37 PM
CIAF's Avatar
CIAF CIAF is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Adams,CO.
Posts: 1,552
CIAF is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can only agree with all the RJ writes and would strongly consider all those factors IF I was doing suspension work. However, if one must have, or justs wants to have the mono, then there is an optioin to that with the new "dual" from posies and it is made for the effie according to the posies ads in the mags. Just a thought.
RJ: all those factors must be common to the mono, a certain red effie near me went through all of that and yanked em for a reverse stocker with 3 leafs out. Claims to be real happy now.
For added data, I have a new Total Cost and it is a bit firm but has the right stance. I may take a few out later.
Jon
__________________
56' F-100 Mild Custom 3 year test build. Done/Never Done.
Did someone say COOKIES ??
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 PM
surfer55's Avatar
surfer55 surfer55 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tri-Cities
Posts: 25
surfer55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Mid Fifty (1-800-252-1956) is a good source for the springs. They offer just the reverse-eye main leaf so you can use the other leafs you already have, or you can buy the whole spring stack with a reverse-eye main leaf. I would also replace the bushings and pins. They also carry front springs in the same setup.

Get a Mid Fifty catalog, if you don't already have one. It has some really great illustrations and instructions. You should also have a Shop Manual. It is invaluable.

There may be other sources, including some of our sponsors. I'm just not familiar with them.

Thanks man I think I will try that seems like everybody agrees with what you've said that I've talked to around where I live.

How many springs are in your stock "F-100" rear spring pack??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 PM
JDMick's Avatar
JDMick JDMick is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 328
JDMick is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been running the monoleafs on my truck since I restored it and don't have any real complaints other than the ride is a bit stiff, especially in the rear. I can't compare the monos to a stock leaf setup though since my truck was undrivable for many years before I restored it. It handles raised bumps pretty well but bumps that require the suspension to drop out are where I think the monoleaf setup may suffer. There just isn't much sag with the monos. I'm still running the stock flathead which is probably why there are no power related wheel hop issues.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
fiddysixF's Avatar
fiddysixF fiddysixF is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kingsford, MI
Posts: 257
fiddysixF is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Mid Fifty (1-800-252-1956) is a good source for the springs. They offer just the reverse-eye main leaf so you can use the other leafs you already have, or you can buy the whole spring stack with a reverse-eye main leaf. I would also replace the bushings and pins. They also carry front springs in the same setup.
Get a Mid Fifty catalog, if you don't already have one. It has some really great illustrations and instructions. You should also have a Shop Manual. It is invaluable.
Randy? You're as bad as AX!
Seriously, its a must have catalog. Good info, good drawings.....not too bad of prices. For the solo reverse eye main leaf, Sacramento had the best $$ I found.
__________________
1956 F100
1969 Cougar XR7

I can no longer afford my "free time".
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-27-2007, 03:08 PM
OilLeaks's Avatar
OilLeaks OilLeaks is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Auburndale, Florida
Posts: 370
OilLeaks is starting off with a positive reputation.
I considered the monos but shyed away from them after reading all the comments others have posted on this site. Also have a friend with an Apache truck with monos and I really don't care for the ride. For less than the cost of the monos I took my springs to a local shop and had them make new main leafs with reversed eyes and then remove about every other spring placing the teflon strips between each leaf. I missed it on the front and had to have them make one more leaf to add back in as I got too much drop and I did go ahead and flip the hangers in the rear - other than that I'm happy with how it sits but I've not got it on the road to drive it yet.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-09-2007, 01:06 PM
BFOOTER03's Avatar
BFOOTER03 BFOOTER03 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 54
BFOOTER03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK you guys have convinced me to go with the reverse eye main and remove some leafs. My question is will this will mess the angles of my drive train (still original) and will any adjustments need to be made? I am looking to drop about 3-4 inches front and rear. Thanks Bing
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Randy Jack's Avatar
Randy Jack Randy Jack is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Riverside, So Cal
Posts: 4,190
Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFOOTER03
OK you guys have convinced me to go with the reverse eye main and remove some leafs. My question is will this will mess the angles of my drive train (still original) and will any adjustments need to be made? I am looking to drop about 3-4 inches front and rear. Thanks Bing
I doubt that the pinion angle will change at all, or enough to make a difference. The pinion angle just wants to be the same as the tranny tailshaft. You do not want the pinion yoke to point at the tranny.

However, I am thinking that if it did change slightly, you could make up some small angled tapered shims to put between the spring and its perch (similar to castor shims for the front) to change the angle if need be.
__________________
Randy Jack
56 F100 Street Rod Daily Driver

Growing OLD is mandatory. Growing UP is optional.
Inside every old guy is a younger guy wondering what the heck happened.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-10-2007, 12:27 PM
CIAF's Avatar
CIAF CIAF is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Adams,CO.
Posts: 1,552
CIAF is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
I doubt that the pinion angle will change at all, or enough to make a difference. The pinion angle just wants to be the same as the tranny tailshaft. You do not want the pinion yoke to point at the tranny.

However, I am thinking that if it did change slightly, you could make up some small angled tapered shims to put between the spring and its perch (similar to castor shims for the front) to change the angle if need be.
Yes indeed, You most likely will NOT need them, but if you do any chassis/frame shop has them in1/2 degree and 1 degree with a slot so you need not unbolt the springpack completely. It is indeed a castor shim. Speedway has them with the hole.
Jon
__________________
56' F-100 Mild Custom 3 year test build. Done/Never Done.
Did someone say COOKIES ??
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1960, 55, 97, axle, custom, dropped, eye, f100, ford, inch, leaf, mono, reverse, reversed, spring, springs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup