Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Senior User

Wheatina is starting off with a positive reputation.
BD & engine running temps...improved MPG??

I was reading a thread about engine running temp and improved mileage and got to wondering about this issue while using biodiesel. It is my thought that BD runs cooler than #2 due to the lower BTU content by comparison. I may be wrong here, but that's my perception. So, would using one of this 203* thermostats improve MPG using BD?? I don't know...has anyone tried this or looked into this issue?? Plus, I use my truck for pulling a big 37' 5th wheel, so it's primary use is for heavy loads. So, would this thermostat be even better in that situation to run the lower BTU biodiesel when pulling loads??

I also got to thinking if this cooler running temp might be one reason BD tends to give slightly lower MPG...what do you think??

Here's the thread link...actually, there are two links discussing this, so I've included both.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/626010-20-mpg.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/62...the-story.html
Old 06-25-2007, 10:33 AM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
In my experience fuel economy is largely a matter of perception. I've tried just about everything, including a 203 t-stat, and while I'm thinking about improved economy my driving style adjusts and I get improved economy.

Funny thing is, when the new wears off and I get back to my "regular" driving style, my fuel economy returns to it's previous state. The nice thing about that is my truck got ~17 mpg stone stock, and now 176,000 miles and an additional 200 horsepower later......it still gets ~17 mpg.

The bottom line is....if you want better fuel economy you have to drive slower, feather the throttle, baby the rig....etc. etc.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 06-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Junior User

echo95 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wouldn't lower BTUs give you less MPG due to less energy produced from the same amount of fuel? I may be over simplifying this. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
According to the chevron site. Expect a 1 to 2% lower MPG with the reduced BTU's in the ULSD.

I agree that driving habits have a lot to do with MPG. For example if we keep our foot out of the IP and drive a grandpa 55 instead of 75-80 you'll see a marked difference in MPG. I tried this for 200 miles and there was about a 4 mpg difference. We got 20 MPG on our 04 instead of our usual 16.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Posting Guru

CheaperJeeper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, regardless of what the Chevron folks or anyone else says, my truck gets better mileage on B20 than it does on #2.

Although the BTUs are 10% lower, the higher cetane and better lubricity seems to more than make up for it......

84 Mercedes 300CD Turbo. Bone stock daily driver

86 F250 Super Cab 4x6 (dually), 7.3 Banks TURBO, SMF & ZF5-47, 4.10 gears, 3" Banks straight-pipe exhaust. Mileage unknown
Old 07-01-2007, 10:43 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
Well, regardless of what the Chevron folks or anyone else says, my truck gets better mileage on B20 than it does on #2.

Although the BTUs are 10% lower, the higher cetane and better lubricity seems to more than make up for it......
Biodiesel is an oxyigenated fuel, it contains aprox 10% oxygen. I think this is why I get better milage from my B-100.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 07-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It is possible that the endogenous oxygen promotes more complete fuel burn that would explain the improved MPGs despite lower BTUs

Diesel engines typically waste 30% of the fuel injected by burning more fuel you increase engine efficiency.That is also the principal behind propane injection.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:55 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
cooler, engine, improves, mpg, running