Sponsored by:

1997 7.3 powerstroke to a 1998 24v cummins

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:51 PM
op_06
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 7.3 powerstroke to a 1998 24v cummins

I have a 1997 F350 crew cab long bed 2wd 7.3 with 188k and am looking into getting a 3/4 ton dodge or ford. Due to money and absolutely no credit, I am trying to stick between 1998-2001 trucks. Im looking to get a F250 or Dodge 2500 4wd cab 1/2 manual trannie with a long bed. I was told by numerous dealers that if I found a Ford with all those options (a 7.3, not a 6.0) to buy a lottery ticket on the same day bc Id be a millionaire. The problem Im having is finding a long wheel base truck with a manual transmission. To make a long story short, my question is which is really the best engine and overall package, the dodge 24valve or 7.3 powerstroke? I do a moderate amount of pulling (cows and hay, generally goosenecks.) I have found a very clean 98 dodge 24v 92000 miles, 1 previous owner at a dealership for 15,900 with everything I want except the long wheel base. Should I hold out to find a 7.3, or jump on the dodge wagon?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:22 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
7.3 is the way to go IMO. Cummins is a great motor but you also have to get the rest of the truck which is crap. Ford is good all the way around with no worries. Besdies the 7.3 is funner to drive then those clunky 24v's. Good luck with your purchase

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-25-2007, 12:05 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by op_06
I have a 1997 F350 crew cab long bed 2wd 7.3 with 188k and am looking into getting a 3/4 ton dodge or ford. Due to money and absolutely no credit, I am trying to stick between 1998-2001 trucks. Im looking to get a F250 or Dodge 2500 4wd cab 1/2 manual trannie with a long bed. I was told by numerous dealers that if I found a Ford with all those options (a 7.3, not a 6.0) to buy a lottery ticket on the same day bc Id be a millionaire. The problem Im having is finding a long wheel base truck with a manual transmission. To make a long story short, my question is which is really the best engine and overall package, the dodge 24valve or 7.3 powerstroke? I do a moderate amount of pulling (cows and hay, generally goosenecks.) I have found a very clean 98 dodge 24v 92000 miles, 1 previous owner at a dealership for 15,900 with everything I want except the long wheel base. Should I hold out to find a 7.3, or jump on the dodge wagon?
I would wait for the ford. The older cummings engines had a problem with the internal front cover bolts. I know this from experince. The internal bolts can rattle that attach the front cover to the block, when they do either you get lucky, and the bolt falls thru to the oil pan, or the bolt falls into the timming gears. Mine snaped the end of the cam off when the bolt fell and totaled the engine. In addition, i agree with Cow boy steve out side of this problem the engines are good, but the rest of the truck is junk. I put over 230,000 on my last 99 F350 7.3 PSD with little problems. Just a note, if you get a 6 Spd, i would not recomend towing extremly heavy loads in 6th gear aot. I burned 6th out my trans at 102,000 miles and FMC said it was from towing heavy in 6th to much.

Last edited by SANDDEMON08; 06-25-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:11 PM
snipAR-15
Senior User
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
I would wait for the ford. The older cummings engines had a problem with the internal front cover bolts. I know this from experince. The internal bolts can rattle that attach the front cover to the block, when they do either you get lucky, and the bolt falls thru to the oil pan, or the bolt falls into the timming gears. Mine snaped the end of the cam off when the bolt fell and totaled the engine. In addition, i agree with Cow boy steve out side of this problem the engines are good, but the rest of the truck is junk. I put over 230,000 on my last 99 F350 7.3 PSD with little problems. Just a note, if you get a 6 Spd, i would not recomend towing extremly heavy loads in 6th gear aot. I burned 6th out my trans at 102,000 miles and FMC said it was from towing heavy in 6th to much.
I think you are talking aboot killer dowel pin?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 PM
j250hd
Senior User
If you are not looking for the most powerful truck in the county stick with the ford!! I had a 99 cummins that was " really clean" that I ended up replacing the dowel pin (I was a lucky one!), injection pump, lift pump, front brakes, tie rods, tranny three times all coming to a grand total of approx. 7k and I didn't even have a chip! Just intake, exhaust, stage 2 injects and a SO pump. I loved the motor and the way it pulled my work trailer! However when your truck is broke down more than you drive because as was said, the rest of the truck is GARBAGE!!!! Stick with the Ford much better all the way around!! My backup truck was an 01 Ford and it was used more than the cummins and I never had a problem! Sorry to vent just giving you the heads up I wish I would have gotten!

Old 06-28-2007, 06:05 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by snipAR-15
I think you are talking aboot killer dowel pin?
Yep thats what it was

Old 06-28-2007, 06:22 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Killer dowel pin disease is the worst. I got a buddy who just bought a 24v'r and I forwarned him about the KDP disease. Were gonna fix the problem this weekend to keep it from ever happening. Timing gears and covers get kinda exspensive after a while. Not to mention your towin bills will add up, lol

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Rich Hunter
New User
Go with the Dodge! My FURD is a POS its a 96 superduty with a 7.3 powerjoke and I can count on the stupid thing breaking down about every 2 to 3 months and it only has 89k on it my cummins with 332k on it was a great truck it was a 12 valve it did eat brakes about every 6 months but at least I could count on it. I also have a 05 250 that we use for a service truck and it gives me trouble from time to time also that dang automatic in my 250 has been a real pain in the butt twice its had to be rebuilt once by the dealer and once by a local tranny shop and now its shuddering again.Granted the truck has 110k on it but geez this is getting old trying to keep them running the 7.3 seems better than that 6.0 but after my ford troubles I am going to try the FL-50 or 60 next made by freightliner. I heard a lot of guff about my Dodges from my buddies and thought I would try Ford. NEVER AGAIN! One positive thing I have to say about my Ford is that it will pull more weight than my cummins did. I am a steel fabricator and erector and really use my trucks hard I do maintain them like clockwork but just am not impressed with the Ford stuff not to mention the quality of dealer service. My money will be spent on freightliners next.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:48 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rich Hunter
Go with the Dodge! My FURD is a POS its a 96 superduty with a 7.3 powerjoke and I can count on the stupid thing breaking down about every 2 to 3 months and it only has 89k on it my cummins with 332k on it was a great truck it was a 12 valve it did eat brakes about every 6 months but at least I could count on it. I also have a 05 250 that we use for a service truck and it gives me trouble from time to time also that dang automatic in my 250 has been a real pain in the butt twice its had to be rebuilt once by the dealer and once by a local tranny shop and now its shuddering again.Granted the truck has 110k on it but geez this is getting old trying to keep them running the 7.3 seems better than that 6.0 but after my ford troubles I am going to try the FL-50 or 60 next made by freightliner. I heard a lot of guff about my Dodges from my buddies and thought I would try Ford. NEVER AGAIN! One positive thing I have to say about my Ford is that it will pull more weight than my cummins did. I am a steel fabricator and erector and really use my trucks hard I do maintain them like clockwork but just am not impressed with the Ford stuff not to mention the quality of dealer service. My money will be spent on freightliners next.
You obviously are lost, lol. Uhhhh your in Ford country brother. I will contradict all your previous statements by saying this, my 7.3 ran circles around you 12v and 24v boys, loaded or not, lol. And while you guys were havin to put money in brakes I was able to put money in mods. I wont dispute that the Cummins motor is amazing, but unfourtunatley you have to buy the rest of the truck when you buy that motor, and as we all know the rest of the truck is complete garbage. Good luck with your Dodge, let me know if you wanna sell your 7.3, others on here looking for a real truck, im sure we could help you sell it since you dont like it, lol.

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Rich Hunter
New User
I am not putting down any brand! I am just telling you guys my real world problems with my ford stuff and YES I am going to dump them and get a couple of Freightliners.My old Dodge with 330k on it was falling apart when I sold it but at least it never gave me the problems these fords have. You guys can have your fords and be proud you own them and thats fine but I will never buy another one again! Thats all I got to say about it! Just trying to find a REAL truck and FURD aint it!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:48 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Lol, well good luck with your real truck search. Best place I would start lookin is your local Ford dealership. They seem to have the realest of the real trucks these days.

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-28-2007, 10:28 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Just a friendly word of advice...

Keep an eye on your lift pump pressure if you're going to get the 98-02 CTD. Those injector (or in their case inJUNKtor) pumps are GARBAGE. VP-44's the name, failing is their game.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Marty86
Senior User
He's right. The vp-44 is known for dying. You can almost expect it. Consider this:
for the 7.3 (99-03 years) you need to keep a simple CPS in the glove box. Cost: $30 or so I hear.
vp-44: I've heard upwards of $1000 if not more.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:22 PM
j250hd
Senior User
VP-44 runs 1400 for stock replacment 1600 for SO pump (01-02) and 1800 for the hot rod vp 44.Thats installed just about the same at any shop. Only way to keep an eye on it is with a fuel pressure gauge. If injection pump goes more than likely you will have to replace the lift pump as well. Just replaced my fuel pump on my 95 PSD 450 installed!

Old 07-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Pance
New User
Okay so far in this topic it's been one sided all coming from the ford guys side. Now I don't have a problem with the 7.3 Powerstroke, but you guys are stretching out some things.

Yes the VP 44 pump has its fair share of issues, but like it was said before if you have a fuel pressure gauge and don't let it go below 8 PSI you'll be fine. What happened was that the Lift pump would go out and the injector pump would be put under too much stress and then they go. Also another way to fix this "problem" is to get a FASS system and not worry about it.

Now as for the KDP, that is not a problem on the 24 valve so I don't know what you guy's are talking about. Yes it was a problem on the 12 valve cummins, but it's not a problem if you put a tab on it. Which cost's maybe 50 bucks for the gasket kit and an afternoon's work.

I'll probably be the one of the only ones in this thread to tell you to buy the dodge. They pull great and have a gobs of torque. As for the 7.3 driving circles around the cummins that's stretching it a bit, the dodge will run with a 7.3 anyday, and if you aren't satisfied with the power theres all kind's of mods for them. Also the dodge will get way better mileage both empty and loaded. My 95 3/4 ton gets 17-19 mpg empty and 16 mpg pulling the 28ft aluminum livestock trailer.

Quick Reply: 1997 7.3 powerstroke to a 1998 24v cummins