Computer Chips & Tuners  

Chip concerns/ confusion ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 09:44 PM
Snowchaser
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danny, I have a 2000 6.8 Superduty 4x4. I am thinking about chipping it. I have a lot of concerns. First off I would like to see some hard facts and data concerning the 2000 6.8, not the 1999! I would like to see actual torque/hp stats, not just hearsay! Where can I get that data? I tried the Super Chips Inc. web page and they DO NOT provide 2000 data. How about the Diablo chip? Is that a reliable chip? Once again where can I get data on this company. What I really want is a product to improve my "shift points", the extra power is a bonus, as I tow snowmobiles up Western mountain passes. I have a 3.73 gear ratio....not the best I know....but the thing always seems to shift down at the wrong time, causing me extreme frustration! Anyway, can you give me some comprehensive data on both of these companys?

Old 12-05-2000, 08:46 PM
D
Senior User

Snowchaser: Superchip has been in business in the US for 22 years. Prior to that, the company started business in the UK. Diablo is a 2 year old company owned by Programa Tools in Florida. Programa has been in the electronics business for about 16 years.
As for finding a dyno strip for a 2000 6.8,,,,unless Ford made major changes from 1999, neither chip company will dyno the truck again. Dyno runs cost quite a bit of money and are done to gather data on computer management for a vehicle with unknown programming. The 6.8, regardless of year model, has very well known operating parameters. All the major chip companies have dynoed the 6.8 when it was first released and as far as I know, have no plans to rerun the dyno. Ford made no major changes to the engine or engine control unit (ECU) from inception to present on the 6.8. There may be some very minor changes made, nothing that would require any "specialized" programming. The 2 chip companies that I distribute for, Superchips and DiabloSport, both add 10% horsepower and 49 ft/lb torque to your 6.8. Both chips will raise the transmission fluid pressure by 20%, creating firmer shifts. Neither chip will raise the shift points at normal throttle. Both will raise the rev limiter and shift points 3-400 rpm at full throttle.
Both companies offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and a lifetime product warranty.
Thanks
Danny

Old 12-07-2000, 11:02 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru