Computer Chips & Tuners  

Superchips Products

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2000, 12:10 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Superchips Products

Ford Truck Enthusiasts is pleased to announce that we now have Superchips available in our online store at a significant discount.

Danny Thibodeaux is the official Ford Truck Enthusiasts Superchips answer guy and will be available on the message boards to answer any questions you may have about these chips.

Ken Payne
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Admin
[img src="/clipart/logosmall.gif"]
(Click on Profile/Signature to add your own custom signature)

Old 08-29-2000, 07:55 PM
D
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchips Products

Hello all. Just a note to let you know that I will answer your questions and concerns as best I can. I don't claim to have all the answers, but, I know where to get the answers that I am not sure of. I will try to answer all your questions on a daily basis, but, there will be times that I can't get to the keyboard for a day or so. I hope to be able to assist Ken in growing this site for the benefit of all who come to visit. I am honored to be asked to help.
Thanks
Danny

Old 09-03-2000, 04:45 PM
tie
New User
Superchips Products

Hi Danny. I have a 1990 4.9L 300. six man. trans and would like to find the best chip/module on the maket for it .All I have been able to find is through Jet (jones electronics). But at only 10 to 15 hp increase at $300 does'nt sound like I would notice the difference.Any advice??Thanx for your help.

Old 09-03-2000, 07:34 PM
D
Senior User
Superchips Products

Most chips on the market will add about 10% horsepower. With the 300 six, 14 hp is 10%. The Superchip would add 14 hp and 31 ft/lb torque While not a tremendous amount, the gain would be noticable. Most drivers can feel a 10hp difference in a full size truck. The torque would definitely be noticable. The old hot-rodders saying is: torque spins the tires and horsepower makes it go fast.
Thanks
Danny

Old 09-03-2000, 08:58 PM
D
Senior User
Superchips Products

Try the online store here. Ken sells Superchips at the most reasonable price on the net. The gains for your truck would be 14hp and 31 ft/lb torque, 10% gain. You should be able to feel the difference in power with a Superchip. Not a bad price when you figure dollars per horsepower. Nothing else will show these types of gains for that low cost,less than $250.00.
Thanks
Danny

Old 11-01-2000, 02:40 PM
f350bomar
New User
Superchips Products

I have a 2000 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 LWB auto 4.30 gears running a V10.

I desire an increase in full throttle acceleration for play time but also an increase in normal driving torque / gas mileage with firmer trans shifts.

The engine runs good on 87 octane and I need to stay with 87 for cost reasons.

What do you recommend?

Old 11-02-2000, 01:12 PM
D
Senior User
Superchips Products

You pose a great challenge. The auto makers have just about pulled all of the horsepower out of their present engines, on regular fuel, that can be had. That is why we have to move to the next level of fuel to gain any horsepower. The reason we recommend premium with a chip is that to gain any power, we advance the timing for slower burning premium. This may cause preignition on regular fuel. Note that I say "may". Some vehicles do ping and rattle on regular, some don't. One thing is certain, you will not get the power gains on regular fuel. I am also fairly sure that the preignition is not very helpful to your valves and the other parts of your engine. Now the good news: We have seen a 1-2 mpg increase with the installation of a chip in the V-10's.
Figure your cents per mile driven now and add 1 mpg and refigure. Depending on your mileage, the difference may be very little. Example: 13 mpg now=130 miles on 10 gal regular fuel@$1.50 gal=15.00=11.54 cents per mile.
10 gal premium fuel@1.70 per gal=17.00. 10 gal at 14 mpg=140 miles 140 miles at 17.00=12.14 cents per mile. The actual difference in fuel cost is 6/10 of a cent per mile which equals to $6.00 per thousand miles difference. The chip will NEVER pay for itself, but, it is not as costly to operate as first thought. Danny

Old 11-02-2000, 02:13 PM
tripp
Freshman User
Superchips Products

I have a chip question.

I own a 00' F-350 Crew Cab 4X4 Dually 7.3 turbo diesel with automatic transmission.

I would like to know what a chip can do for me. Better fuel economy? Better pulling power? I'm new to the whoel chip idea so please excue my crude questions but I am interested if there is something out there for me but I want to know if it is worth it to me to invest.

Thanks for your time,
Tripp Whitlow

Old 11-02-2000, 03:21 PM
D
Senior User
Superchips Products

Hope that I don't get too windy on this one!!!
The chip will do several things to and for your Powerstroke. The chip will increase the boost pressure thus allowing the program to put more fuel to the engine. With the combination of more air and more fuel= more horsepower. The mileage gains come about because you will use less throttle position to maintain the same speed as before chipping. Most Powerstrokes show a 2-4 mpg increase.The program also raises the transmission fluid pressure by 20%. This makes the truck shift much crisper. We raise the rev limiter to 3400 rpm and remove the speed limiter. After chipping, the Powerstroke will almost feel like a gasoline engine, very quick, torquey, and very fast. A fair comparison is a 2000 Excursion Ltd. with a Powerstroke we chipped today. Before chipping the 0-60 time was 16 seconds. After a conservative program, 70hp, chip, the 0-60 dropped to less than 10 seconds. Pretty dramatic change. Feel free to give me a call and we can decide if chipping is what you want to try. 1-877-399-6417 Remember to tell us that you saw it on Ford-Truck online.
Thanks
Danny

Old 11-02-2000, 05:20 PM
tripp
Freshman User
Superchips Products

I apreciate your input. As I said I am new to the performance chip market but am interested.

What about engine longevity? One reason I choose the truck is the track record of the engine. Will I loose life?

I pull historical military vehicles about once a month on a gooseneck trailer I have. Sometimes just a few small cars and other times a large troop truck.

I am really interested in what I will notice when pulling. I understand your statement about using less fuel to acomplish the same performance level which if I understand you correctly I will see an obvious gain.

I do use the truck as a daily driver quite often simply because I like to drive it which leads to another question. Here in the St. Louis area rush hour traffic can really be a bear and there is allot of stop and go time. Will the chip still show the benifits in that type of driving condition?

Also, can a relative idiot like myself install this on his own? I know my limitations when it comes to certain things and if this is something I have no need messing with then say the word.

Thanks again for your input.

Tripp Whitlow

Old 11-02-2000, 05:59 PM
D
Senior User
Superchips Products

Tripp: I am still trying to find the correct answer about engine longevity after chipping. The problem is that NO-ONE, and I mean NO-ONE, drives the same after chipping as they did before. The closest comparison , all things being equal, is to compare the old 2 barrel carbs and the old 4 barrel carbs on the same engines. Neither changed the longevity of the engine. The right foot changed the longevity of the engine. We are basically accomplishing the same thing with a chip, increasing fuel and air to the engine. We create minimal exhaust temperature increases, or your would read about hundreds of powerstrokes frying after chip installation.
You would gain some mileage benefit, even in town driving. The added power helps mileage when towing.
Installation is very simple. The chip comes with very explicit instructions and we are availabe almost 24 hours a day for assistance. My phone in the shop transfers to my home after hours for customer assistance. Should you get our answering system, I will be notified by cellular phone and return your call. We feel that there are many chip companies, but, none that offer the support we do.

Thanks
Danny

Old 11-02-2000, 08:23 PM
DIESELSITE
Former Vendor
Superchips Products

Danny,
I can't speak for gassers, but I cna for PSDs. Navistar, themselves say the PSD does not care that a chip is installed. On the contrary, the timing is retrded by Ford, so that it does not run as Nav intended it to till after a chip. The T444E(Nav version) is used in marine applications producing 400hp with nothing but pcm changes(a chip basically). We recently had a PSD rally where Navistar attended and we asked this question. The spokeman even said a chip would be his first purchace.
Bob

Old 11-27-2000, 05:42 PM
fordification
Senior User
Superchips Products

Going back to that extra cost for premium thing, typically premium is about $0.10 more then regular. In a year, I drive 18,000km. At an average of 13.5mpg, it will cost me close to an extra $300(cdn) per year to run premium, or $1500 over 5 years! I can really see this money going to more important and useful things other then purchasing higher octane fuel for my daily driver. Just my .02

Old 01-04-2001, 11:56 AM
crjackson
Senior User
Superchips Products

I buy into the whole mileage thing, not being the goal, but I still haven't seen any hard numbers released for the 2000 V-10 with 310 hp and 425 lb-ft torque. What chip would you recommend for an Excursion and why? 20 hp? 30 hp? Have any tests been run? And where would I go to find pricing for it?

Old 01-05-2001, 08:38 AM
D
Senior User
Superchips Products

The numbers will be the same for the 2001 or the 1999 V-10, as far as horsepower gains, 10% on horsepower and about 15% on torque. Again, Ford has not done any major changes to the engine since inception on the V-10. I can understand your desire for data, but, with a money back guarantee, try it, if you are not satisfied, return it. Numbers mean nothing to the seat of the pants feel of the vehicle.
As for the Excursion, which engine? If it is a gas engine, there is only one program available from each chip manufacturer. The reason for only one program is that we cannot increase the air flow into the gas engine, therefore, we can only change so many operating parameters on the engine. On a Powerstroke, or a gas engine with a blower, we can increase the air flow in increments, therefore we can add varying amounts of power.
Thanks
Danny

Quick Reply: Superchips Products