Computer Chips & Tuners  

Just installed Chip

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 09:44 PM
robert k
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed Chip

I have been researching chips for awhile now and finnaly jumped off my wallet and bought a Diablo 70+hp chip from Danny at 2D. Took me about 1.5 hours to install. Test drove it tonight and all I can say is WOW. Felt like a different truck, the automatic shifted much better and no slugishness. Acceleration was fantastic. I will be putting my guagues in next week. Had a question, I noticed when I jump on it I get a little puff of black smoke, goes right away but my buddy has the same truck with the same chip in a standard transmission and he gits no smoke? any comments.

p.s Danny at 2D was a great help.

2000 F250 PSD, Auto, 4x4, CC, SWB, K&N Air,Diablo chip, Soon to have ISSPRO guages.

Old 05-11-2001, 08:31 AM
mycrew
Freshman User
Just installed Chip

I dont know why your buddies truck does not smoke and yours does but i have heard that the puff of smoke is just a little unburned gas. What EGT does your engine run now and what kind of fuel mileage do you get now with the chip?

Old 05-11-2001, 02:00 PM
robert k
New User
Just installed Chip

Mycrew:
just going down the road 65-70 mph I will get 20-21 after the chip before I was getting 16-18 MPG. EGT will run 500-700 unloaded, pulling a 3 horse trailer loaded up hill it can climb to 900-950. I have found you only build alot of heat if you are on a grade and you get slowed down somehow and you try to get back to 67-70mph keeping the speed up when you know you are going to climb is the key.

Robert K

Old 05-14-2001, 07:15 AM
D
Senior User
Just installed Chip

Robert: You get that puff of smoke because your turbine has not yet had enough time to spool up and produce enough boost for the fuel charge. On your buddy's truck with the standard, he raises the rpm a bit before releasing the clutch thereby producing higher boost before he ever releases the clutch. The puff is normal for a chipped truck. Glad that you are happy with the chip.
Any questions, feel free to call.
Thanks Again
Danny
2001 Cobra-Lazer Red
DiabloSport Chipped
340 HP
Danny

Old 05-23-2001, 04:01 PM
EvilBrae
New User
Just installed Chip

>Robert: You get that puff of
>smoke because your turbine has
>not yet had enough time
>to spool up and produce
>enough boost for the fuel
>charge. On your buddy's truck
>with the standard, he raises
>the rpm a bit before
>releasing the clutch thereby producing
>higher boost before he ever
>releases the clutch. The puff
>is normal for a chipped
>truck. Glad that you are
>happy with the chip.
>Any questions, feel free to call.
>
>Thanks Again
>Danny
>2001 Cobra-Lazer Red
>DiabloSport Chipped
>340 HP
>Danny

Ok, I've just gotta ask: What is this Diablo thingy? I am extremely new to this website, Ford trucks, and performance for them. I am interested in learning much. I am less than a year away from getting a V10 SD DRB 2WD 4Dr AT F350 and would be interested in learning any performance modifications.

Also, I would be interested in learning the performance modifications available for those SD F350s with the V8 (5.4L).

Old 05-23-2001, 07:27 PM
D
Senior User
Just installed Chip

Evil: The easiest way to learn about all there is to learn about performance enhancements with a chip go to
http://www.DiabloSport.com They will not sell direct to you, so, after reading the site, check out the online store here.
May I ask if you are completely sold on a V-10. The powerstrokes will get much better mileage, towing and non-towing, produce quite a bit more torque, and more than likely, after chipping, outrun the V-10. Talk to a few of the guys here, they can lead you from experience. The biggest complaint I get from V-10 owners is mileage, or lack of.
2001 Cobra-Lazer Red
DiabloSport Chipped
340 HP
Danny

Old 05-30-2001, 11:50 PM
mycrew
Freshman User
Just installed Chip

robert,

Is their some sort of maximum EGT that you know of?
I have heard some people say 1000 degrees and others say 1500.
Any thoughts on this?
By the way, the chips that you researched, did any of them give estimated EGT? and were any of them lower than the others?

Old 05-31-2001, 03:01 PM
D
Senior User
Just installed Chip