Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: GruesomeJeans

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Postmaster

Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.
Lightbulb Right To Bear Arms

When posting in this thread, keep in mind the policies of FTE!

EClampus Vitus Major WM Downie 1849

Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Postmaster

Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.
Gun Control Laws

-A criminal is a criminal because they have no regard for the law.
-The honest citizen tries to obey the law.
-Certain groups beleive that making anti-gun laws, will create less issues.

With the above in mind, consider the following scenario:

-The Law abiding citizen will become unarmed.
-The criminal will continue to have weapons

What do ya think?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Posting Guru

dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placermike
-A criminal is a criminal because they have no regard for the law.
-The honest citizen tries to obey the law.
-Certain groups beleive that making anti-gun laws, will create less issues.

With the above in mind, consider the following scenario:

-The Law abiding citizen will become unarmed.
-The criminal will continue to have weapons

What do ya think?
Can't say it any better. You hit the nail on the head.

Not to say that I am not for some kind of gun check to try and keep legal guns out of criminal or mental cases hands (with the understanding that they can almost always get illegal), but this can be a slippery slope and has to be implemented with Constitutional and Bill of Rights oversight and / or intent.

David
90 F250 7.5L E4OD, 03 F350 SD auto with the infamous diesel 6.0 for work, 70 C600 330 MT40 & 72 IH Fleetstar 6V-53 MT41 - dump trucks - both are AUTOMATICS! O2 Oldsmobile Bravada, Kubota L3200, Hustler Super Z mower, all Hydrostatics, 85 Honda Elite 250 & 150 scooter CVT - Nary a manual in the fleet!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Senior User

Parrsboro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hmm, a very short question with endless opinions.

This debate is a whole lot older than I.

My opinion is that i would want the honest citizen to be able to own and do whatever he/she would want to do as long as there is no harm done to another.

Although i don't like stricter gun laws because they hamper my ability to do just that.

But... how then might there be away to deter the criminals from possesing arms?

I don't think the laws they put on the books will do anything in that regard, so perhaps making stiffer penalties for illegal acts would do better than controling arms.

Lets say , everbody gets whatever they want.
Except lets say felons. They lost thier right.

Then a person who uses arms against another gets 50 years
and a felon who uses gets 100 years.

(Assuming self defense is not an issue)

this is a broad start of oppinion, or im just rambling on cus its late
1999 F-250, V10
Old 06-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Posting Guru

dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.
Parrsboro - well not sure any law is going to stop a criminal, they have chosen to disreguard living by a societies rules anyway. I think somehow we as a country need to bring back *personal reponsibility. Something I learned from my parents, and, the Boy Scouts. I am 48, so I even learned this from some teachers I had, strict, but carring ones. Nowdays it is all about Dr Suess I guess.

Certainly though, the fact that criminals will ignore laws does not stop or negate the need for attempting to reduce these criminals from obtaining guns and other weapons, but we all have to realize that even if guns were totally illegal, nothing is absolute, and there will be some in circulation.

We as a country tried the "absolute" thing once before - Prohibition, and it don't work did it? In fact all it did was to build up the criminals.

So all that legal, lawabiding citizens can do in my book is to pass reasonable, Constitutional laws reguarding checks, and being dilligent to watch out for those who might be attempting something illegal.

* schools teach nowdays that you have rights, but they leave out the responsibility side of things. By the grace of goodness we are born into this great country that in all honesty, has something totally unlike all other great societies - freedoms for all - but along with these rights comes the responsibility of protecting these very rights. This is where the school system falls down in my opinion. We as parents can teach, but if the school system at every turn is shooting us down, then it is hard for the kids to not get confused.

Much like when the parent says do not smoke or drink and then does those very things in front of there kids. Kids see this hyprocosy, believe me.

David
90 F250 7.5L E4OD, 03 F350 SD auto with the infamous diesel 6.0 for work, 70 C600 330 MT40 & 72 IH Fleetstar 6V-53 MT41 - dump trucks - both are AUTOMATICS! O2 Oldsmobile Bravada, Kubota L3200, Hustler Super Z mower, all Hydrostatics, 85 Honda Elite 250 & 150 scooter CVT - Nary a manual in the fleet!

Last edited by dmanlyr; 06-20-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Postmaster

Short of Death, there is no way to stop the criminal...They will get what they want, and do what they want to do.

Do you think they care that they just bought a stolen weapon for $75.00?

Also consider the the 'junkie' that will do what they have to for a 'Fix'!

Last edited by Placermike; 06-21-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Postmaster

Amendment II (the Second Amendment) of the United States Constitution, which is part of the Bill of Rights, declares a well regulated militia as "being necessary to the security of a free State", and prohibits Congress from infringement of "the right of the people to keep and bear arms."

Old 06-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Have a nice Beer!!!

lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm just looking for some security when our family is out in the sticks in the middle of no mans land. I'm not worried about some yahoo trying to get into my safe of my home or anything else. That's why we have a dog and security system.

1999 F350 stock as stock can get. Ignition kill switch and Trailer Brakes. Sold it...way to much blow by.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Senior User

CapeF250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
"If guns are outlawed,only outlaws will have guns"
Says it simply.
I want at least a fair chance against a crook.I won't
be a victim by being unarmed
Old 06-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Senior User

Parrsboro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lostmybeer,
i would think it would be just the oppisite, out in the sticks in the middle of no mans land is the safer option, and less precaution is needed.

and a simple dog and a security system, does not do well against an armed criminal or even an unarmed criminal.

Just as an example, there is a weekly show called "to catch a theif" and time and time again, they show how useless the dogs are, and security systems give about 5-15 minutes response time, during that 5-15 minute response time, you can lose everthing.
1999 F-250, V10
Old 06-21-2007, 07:09 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter