2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers activate w/o being on

Old 06-20-2007, 04:45 PM
pilot10
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wipers activate w/o being on

On my 06 150 a couple of weeks ago the wipers swiped once when I was parking the truck. Thought I must have touched the wiper control when reaching from steering wheel to door handle. A week later it does it again- hands are nowhere near the control.

The next week I drive to LA(400 hundred miles). Weather is in the 80 & 90s. Half way there I stop for a break. When I restart the engine the wipers come on in the intermittent mode and will not turn off. I tried playing with the switch- on/off, on/off a few times. Turned engine off then back on a couple of times. Wipers still in intermittent mode. Stop engine, remove wipers and store them in the back. Continue on my trip.

Rain not forecast until Sept/October but I still need to clean the bugs of the windshield. Took truck to dealer Tuesday for wiper issue as well as a front axle leak and an EATC issue(interior air mode turns itself off after a couple of minutes). The dealer will replace a pinion seal in the axle and a module in the EATC but could not confirm the wiper issue. The dealer indicated there are no known problems like the wiper issue. I thought there was some multifunction switch that goes out routinely causing this symptom. The service guy said the switch for the wipers is now intergrated into the fuse box-sounded like crazy talk(I hope).

Anyone hear of this wiper issue in the 06 versions?

Thanks,
Tim

One other note the radio volume seems to increase when the engine is turned off(like the commercialson TV are a little louder). I mention this in case there is some circuit both these accessories run through that may be the source of the problem

Old 06-20-2007, 11:48 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Ford seemed to have some sort of a "Phantom Wiper" issue on some of the '99 and earlier model Rangers (mine was affected) Explorers and others that shared the same/similar set-up. You may want to locate the TSB for Ref.

I think most jus' simply made a squirt of WD-40 down Inside the wiper switch-arm to the contacts to fix. But looking on how the ones on the new 150s are a bit different maybe a bit more to it.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Ulf
Junior User
Originally Posted by pilot10
One other note the radio volume seems to increase when the engine is turned off(like the commercialson TV are a little louder). I mention this in case there is some circuit both these accessories run through that may be the source of the problem
There is a setting in the radio menu where you can adjust the loudness I think it is called "SPEED", it is to compensate for road noise, the faster you drive the louder the radio gets I think the settings go from 0 to 5.... (0= off and 5= loudest)

But maybee this is not your problem....

Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 AM
pilot10
More Turbo
Thanks for the replies. I'll be a bit more patient as I do have some warranty time left(9K miles or 18 months) and I have a feeling this truck is going back a few times.

I do use the speed sensitive volume control feature - it's a 1-10 scale. I'll try turning the feature off to see if the volume still spikes when the ignition is turned off.

Thanks,
Tim

Search this Thread