Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Need some help getting this truck to run right

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:32 PM
lud04X
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some help getting this truck to run right

I bought a 1978 F150 Supercab 4x4 two months ago and I've got the carb rebuilt but I'm pretty sure the timing is off as it diesels and is hard to keep idling unless I set the idle higher. I did all the basic tune up stuff like a cap, rotor, wires and plugs.

I have no idea how to set timing on this 351M engine. I know it involves a timing light which I don't have. So for anyone in the eastern WA area that has some free time I was wondering if I can get some help on getting this done. I can throw in some beer, food, and meet up somewhere if needed.

Send me an message and let me know. I'd really like some help on this or even for someone to point me towards a shop to get this done.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:25 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
You're right, the symptoms are timing for the cheapest and easiest things first.

If someone from the Kennewick area doesn't appear, just attach a timing light's* leads to the battery terminals (or the neg lead to the block), and clip its inductive clamp around the #1 spark plug wire. Start the motor, point the timing light at the crankshaft pulley, and the strobe light will hit the timing mark when the distributor is turned to the correct firing alignment. You might have to highlight the timing mark with whiteout or chalk/paint to see it well. Dieseling is most often timing advanced too far ahead, or the plugs are too "hot" for it.

Watch out for the fan blade it has ruined more than one timing light and hand.

*here's a decent timing light for a low price.
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...utm_medium=CMP

G'luck with your new truck, it's a good'un

Last edited by RexB; 06-21-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:40 PM
lud04X
Senior User
Thanks! I think I can handle that.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:16 PM
85_Ford_6.9L_4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea its really not that hard to set the timeing, its easier if you have a buddy to turn the distributor while you hold the lite and look at the marks, then you can tell him to stop when its right.