Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: GruesomeJeans

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior User

lud04X is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need some help getting this truck to run right

I bought a 1978 F150 Supercab 4x4 two months ago and I've got the carb rebuilt but I'm pretty sure the timing is off as it diesels and is hard to keep idling unless I set the idle higher. I did all the basic tune up stuff like a cap, rotor, wires and plugs.

I have no idea how to set timing on this 351M engine. I know it involves a timing light which I don't have. So for anyone in the eastern WA area that has some free time I was wondering if I can get some help on getting this done. I can throw in some beer, food, and meet up somewhere if needed.

Send me an message and let me know. I'd really like some help on this or even for someone to point me towards a shop to get this done.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Posting Guru

RexB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RexB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You're right, the symptoms are timing for the cheapest and easiest things first.

If someone from the Kennewick area doesn't appear, just attach a timing light's* leads to the battery terminals (or the neg lead to the block), and clip its inductive clamp around the #1 spark plug wire. Start the motor, point the timing light at the crankshaft pulley, and the strobe light will hit the timing mark when the distributor is turned to the correct firing alignment. You might have to highlight the timing mark with whiteout or chalk/paint to see it well. Dieseling is most often timing advanced too far ahead, or the plugs are too "hot" for it.

Watch out for the fan blade it has ruined more than one timing light and hand.

*here's a decent timing light for a low price.
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...utm_medium=CMP

G'luck with your new truck, it's a good'un

Last edited by RexB; 06-21-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Senior User

lud04X is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks! I think I can handle that.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Senior User

85_Ford_6.9L_4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yea its really not that hard to set the timeing, its easier if you have a buddy to turn the distributor while you hold the lite and look at the marks, then you can tell him to stop when its right.

RestoMod Project: 1984 Ford Mustang SVO Fuel Injected 2.3L Turbo Intercolled 4cyl

What can I say......they built them better in the '80s
Old 06-21-2007, 07:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter