Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Posting Guru

wtroger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2.3L block

Can you use a 2.3 block from a 1983 and use it in a 1991 with the 8 plug head and efi.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Posting Guru

jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.
Check your post in the Ranger forum. jd
Old 06-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
We prefer you not cross post (that is, post the same question in multiple forums) but I checked the other thread and the only reply is a suggestion to ask here. Kind of unusual not to get the replies in the Ranger/B-series forum since it sees way more activity than this one...

So anyway, there are some differences in the two blocks in question but all in all, with the right parts being used with the right block it should work. Some things that come to mind are: at some point (I don't recall the exact year of change without looking it up) the main bearing journal size was changed so I think you'd need to use the early crank with the early block. Also, later 2.3 engines had crank trigger ignition rather than a distributor. I believe an 8-plug engine was crank trigger. The earlier crank trigger ignition blocks had a plug inserted into the hole where the distributor used to be so if yours has that plug you'll need to use it on the early block. Later blocks (and I think it was about '95 so you may not be affected by this) had no hole at all so no plug was needed. If such is the case, you'd need to scrounge a plug.

I'm sure there were other differences but I can't think of them offhand. Hopefully someone else will chime in and help out here...

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Posting Guru

wtroger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks I knew about the main bearings and I have the complete 83 short block that was running when we pulled it out. My concern was about mounting bosses and sensors holes/mounts that the early block wouldn't have. I know the auxillary shaft drove the oil pump via the distributor and I assume the there is a oil pump/drive plug of some sort on the 1991 that would fit in the hole. Appreciate the info will see if I have to make this work.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:50 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines

Tags
23, 23l, 95, block, codes, correct, crank, ford, placement, ranger, short, trigger