Well really do not knkow where to start and I was hoping someone could mabe anwser a question/concern I have. This list below will go through what has happend thus far.
1. Bad knocking sound- (alarm in my mind and knew stuff was about to hit the fan)
2. Finally pulled the driver side valve cover and noticed several things. The cam positon sensor was GONE- and the cam gear was loose.
3. Reason for the Cam Positon Sensor being GONE- the cam gear on the driver side was somehow striped off the cam (pressed on type) and it slid forward knocking the cam sensor off. (still knocking by the way!!)
4. QUESTION- do you think this bent the valves? If not then why?
5. Anyone herd of this before?
My e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
ANY help is appreciated (sorry for any mis spelling above)
Well the truck is a 2001- with 102,000 miles on it. Taken good care of but maybe I just got lucky or unlucky how ever you look at it.
My only delima is weather the valves are bent & damaged or not. If not- I would throw another cam and gear in it and see how it goes but if the valves are bent then I can't see dropping that kind of money on it when it already has 102,000 on it.
Do you think the valves would be ok, meaning since the cam shaft gear spun loose and the valves were not working in time with the pistons wouldn't it have bent the valves or is there enough clearance on the valves to keep them from getting damaged?
I am not really worried about the miles I am more concerned about damage to the valves themselves.
I guess I could replace the cam and gear and see what happens but that is a lot to deal with if I do find the valves are damaged and I need to do a head job on the engine.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.