Starter Relay or DTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:29 PM
wgwgoldwing
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Relay or DTR

Hi all,

1999 F150, 5.4L, 4x4, auto, with anti-theft. Everything appears normal, no blown fuses. Battery charged. All cable ends clean. Fuseable link good. Turn key to start, single relay click sound and nothing. Engine doesn't turn, soleniod doesn't flutter. Replaced starter/solenoid assembly, same thing. Theft light does not flash rapidly while key in the start position. Jumping the terminals at the starter solenoid (on the starter) and she fires right up. Now from what I've researched on here, I'm suspecting either the DTR sensor on the transmission or a starter relay. The owner's manual doesn't show where the starter relay is located. So if anyone could give me a specific location as to where it's located, that would be great. If the relay turns out to be good, I guess I'll need help with testing the DTR. I'm afraid to ask how much the DTR will cost. One thing that is making me suspect the DTR is a month or so ago, the OD Off light was flashing. Disconnected the battery for 20 minutes and that problem went away. I think it was trying to give me a heads-up. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

WGW

Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 PM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello wgwgoldwing and welcome to FTE.

The starter relay is going to be near the rear of the engine compartment on the right hand side. Power comes from F21 (15A) in the Central Junction Box. From there to the DTR. Out of the DTR on a tan/red wire to the starter relay. The starter relay in turn supplies power from the battery through a fusible link to the starter motor solenoid and the motor itself. This is all from the wiring schematics on my truck so, there may be some differences. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:53 PM
wgwgoldwing
New User
KingRanchMan02,

Thanks for the welcome and information. I found the "relay" (looks like a starter solenoid to me) on the passenger side firewall. Replaced it and it starts fine now.

Thanks again,

WGW

Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 AM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Your welcome and I am glad that you got it fixed.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:02 PM
JimAllen
Freshman User
I want to say " Thank You", This Post saved me alot of time and money, my 1999 F150 did the same thing

Old 11-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by KingRanchMan02
Hello wgwgoldwing and welcome to FTE.

The starter relay is going to be near the rear of the engine compartment on the right hand side. Power comes from F21 (15A) in the Central Junction Box. From there to the DTR. Out of the DTR on a tan/red wire to the starter relay. The starter relay in turn supplies power from the battery through a fusible link to the starter motor solenoid and the motor itself. This is all from the wiring schematics on my truck so, there may be some differences. Good luck!

Can someone tell me where (i.e. maybe with a picture...because I'm special) the starter relay is? My factory manual doesn't have a diagram of the underhood panel (I'm assuming it's in there). There are two identical relays. I'm just going to try both if I don't hear anything.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
The start relay is not in that box.
Read your qoute again.
Rear of engine compartment but on the 'fire wall', on the battery side.
It has heavey leads and light leads.
The heavey leads are the battery power to the starter.
The light leads are the crank power to the relay from the ignition switch.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
The start relay is not in that box.
Read your qoute again.
Rear of engine compartment but on the 'fire wall', on the battery side.
It has heavey leads and light leads.
The heavey leads are the battery power to the starter.
The light leads are the crank power to the relay from the ignition switch.
I didn't see anything by the battery (or the firewall) that looked like the relay that I picked up from advanced.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:57 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
How do we know what you picked up at the store?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 AM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

The starter relay is pictured on the fire wall at the top left of the photo with the U shaped molded wiring harness.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:05 PM
J70Sailor
New User
Similar Problem - More Help Needed

All,

So I came across this problem today was able to jump the posts on the starter relay and headed up to a buddies of mine. Per the great advice I found on this site I replaced the starter relay and it started right up but things didn't sound exactly right. Driving home from my buddies I heard what I can best describe as an electrical pop, notice that the battery light come on. When I got home shut the truck off and then tried restarting but no crank over. It does make a loud click at the new relay. Also it doesn't appear to have power at the terminals because attempting to jump the posts with a screw driver is no producing any spark or crank over. Speaking to my friend about the noise I heard after replacement, he was thinking that perhaps the starter failed to disengage and that perhaps it burnt out on the way home.

Looking for a bit of suggestion/guidance on next steps to take. Thanks in advance

Old 06-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
I would first test the large 175 amp fuse, then proceed from that point depending on the result.
A no charge condition and a no crank may or may not be related.
You must get the motor running to check the charging system.
Good luck.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:25 PM
J70Sailor
New User
I would first test the large 175 amp fuse, then proceed from that point depending on the result.
A no charge condition and a no crank may or may not be related.
You must get the motor running to check the charging system.
Good luck.
Thank you for the rapid reply, do you know which of the large fuses in the fuse box is actually the one I should be checking?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
It's not in the box.
It would be much to large.
Look at the long plastic covered stick marked Fuse Link along side the battery, in your photo..
That's the baby.
Good luck.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:01 AM
J70Sailor
New User
It's not in the box.
It would be much to large.
Look at the long plastic covered stick marked Fuse Link along side the battery, in your photo..
That's the baby.
Good luck.
So I located the fuse link, and I'm not exactly sure what I thought I would see when I removed thed the black plastic case but it wasn't what I had expected. Inside there are two white coated wires that appear intact and don't appear to have any break. Although I'm not sure what I should be testing.

Things I have done.....
  • Validated that the lower post on the relay is live
  • Validated that the upper post on the relay has power through it when the key is turn to the start position
  • Removed the plastic case of the fuse link and visually inspected it and it appears to be intact
I'm assuming that the relay establishs power down to the starter/solenoid which inturns allows the starter to spin the flywheel and the motor goes. Then when the key is returned to the running position the solenoid should retract the starter gear. So since there is power that appears to be flowing properly to the relay I am making the assumption that the issue is downstream from the relay. Is the fuse link down stream from the relay? Are there other fuses/relays in the curcit between the starter relay and the starter/solenoid?

I really appreaciate the advice, I've been under the truck and believe that I should be able to pull the starter without to much trouble, or at least no more than one would expect. However, it is enough of an effort I hate to make that step blindly before ruling out any other easier less expensive solutions.

Quick Reply: Starter Relay or DTR