2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

Old 06-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Triboy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

Our Expy (XLT) has had a message that keeps reoccurring with regard to the tire pressure monitoring<O</O

While highway driving every once in a while the the message center will pop up a message that says "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" and it beeps. The low pressure light also comes on. After a few minutes the message goes away and the low pressure light continues to stay on. After 10-20 minutes the low pressure light will go off and we may not see it again for a week.

I've had to dealer twice for the problem. The first time they told me they could not reproduce the problem and there were no codes identifying a problem. The second time they told me they were finally able to get a code. Based on the code they replaced the smart junction box (I believe that is what they called it). That was about 3 weeks ago. Up until yesterday we had not seen the message pop up since they replaced the box.

The owner’s manual says the message means just what it says that a sensor has faulted but the dealer is telling me they can't just replace all the sensors with out something identifying that is for sure the problem. At least that is what they told me the last time I brought it in. I have not talked to them yet today about this latest time.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so what ended up fixing it (if it has been fixed that is)?
<O</O

I searched and could not find the answer so I apologize if this has been asked before.

Thx

Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 PM
jackson3000
Freshman User
Mine did it once after I had a bolt removed from my tire , I hit the reset and it has done it since. Don't accept what the dealer says it can not do. When my transmission case got a leak the only way they could fix it was to replace the entire transmission because they could not get the case.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Triboy
Junior User
Picked the expy up this afternoon.

After having it for 2 days they told me they were not been able to drive it and actually reproduce the light/message for themselves but they are able to get a code (B2872) from when it has come on for me. The tech apparently called the hotline and spoke to a design engineer. The engineer had the tech call me and ask if it only happened when I was using the after market GPS unit (Garmin C340) I had in it. I told him I'd seen it happen both with and without the unit on.

In the end they replaced all four sensors with four new ones. So far we are at one smart junction box and 4 new sensors. Hopefully the new sensors will be the fix.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Triboy
Junior User
Just wanted to update this thread to say after almost 2 weeks of being free from this problem after they replaced all 4 sensors it is back. This time it started up on a local city road (35mph) and not the highway which was a first. I made yet another appointment to take it back to the dealer this coming Monday. The service tech told me the last time I had it in the design engineers at Ford said this was the very first time they had heard of anyone having this as a reoccurring issue and I've not been able find anyone else talking about it on the net.

Still no one out there having this same issue?

Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Randy B
Junior User
Not so true!

Originally Posted by Triboy
Just wanted to update this thread to say after almost 2 weeks of being free from this problem after they replaced all 4 sensors it is back. This time it started up on a local city road (35mph) and not the highway which was a first. I made yet another appointment to take it back to the dealer this coming Monday. The service tech told me the last time I had it in the design engineers at Ford said this was the very first time they had heard of anyone having this as a reoccurring issue and I've not been able find anyone else talking about it on the net.

Still no one out there having this same issue?
I have had several tire pressure sensor failures. Six repair attempts to date. Just got the truck back yesterday morning after yet another failure. Straps keep breaking. After the last repair, I filed the Defect Notice required by Florida for the Lemon Law. Since the repair this week, I have now formally files for Lemon Law proceedings. According to the State this procedure should take about 45 days from inception, so I'll let you know as more happens.

BTW, the techs are all surprised. They say they have seen some failures, and not solely on the 2007 Expeditions. However I have now had approximately 7 sensor kits replaced. To date, only one factory kit is still on the truck, the other three wheels have been replaced at least once.

The problem with the faults, is this is my wife's primary ride with the 18 month old, and when it fails it causes a severe vibration in the truck, and you cannot drive over 45MPH without heading toward a ditch.

Also, I started a thread on this a while back. I believe it was titled "Any problems so far?" I think one or two others on this board had similar failures.

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 07-06-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Triboy
Junior User
Thanks Randy. I myself have not had any kind of mechanical failure like straps breaking. It is more of an electronic issue where the sensor fault light comes on (and beeps) at random. Sometimes I can go days/weeks without seeing it and other times I'll see it several times in the same day.

With regard to the straps I'm not really crazy about that whole idea anyway. I also have a Honda Ridgeline and the sensors are part of the valve stem assembly not something strapped around the rim like the Ford. I've had 0 trouble out of my Honda (18k so far) apart from a few creeks and rattles.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Randy B
Junior User
Originally Posted by Triboy
Thanks Randy. I myself have not had any kind of mechanical failure like straps breaking. It is more of an electronic issue where the sensor fault light comes on (and beeps) at random. Sometimes I can go days/weeks without seeing it and other times I'll see it several times in the same day.

With regard to the straps I'm not really crazy about that whole idea anyway. I also have a Honda Ridgeline and the sensors are part of the valve stem assembly not something strapped around the rim like the Ford. I've had 0 trouble out of my Honda (18k so far) apart from a few creeks and rattles.

I completely agree with you. I had the valve stem mounted ones on my Mercedes, and now the same setup on my Lexus. It's a shame this design has such problems as well.

Randy B

Old 08-17-2007, 05:50 PM
BCDriver
New User
Tire Pressure Sensor Fault - 2007 Expedition (Eddie Bauer)

I too have been experiencing the same problem with my 2007 Expedition. I just got it in July, and the light has come on at least 8 times. I brought it to the dealer, and got similar results. Nothing had registered on the computer, and they were hesitant to replace all 4 sensors. They told me to come back when the light was on, or to let them keep it and drive it for a few days to see if they could get it to go on. It has now only come on over the weekend when they're closed. It's very difficult to get to a dealership exactly when it occurs as it normally happens when you have somewhere you have to be or during off-hours. I'll be watching to see what happens for each of you going forward. Keep track of your visits to make it count toward any lemon law....I am going to make my dealer aware this is not an isolated incident on the Expeditions!

Old 08-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Newton007
Senior User
No problem here, but I only have about 600 miles on my 07. Thanks for the information. I will watch for and report any problems.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Triboy
Junior User
Just to keep everyone updated I'm still having this problem. I'll be taking it back in with in the next week or two. I'll be sure to update with any work done on this issue.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Randy B
Junior User
Mistake

Sorry hit by accident , and cannot delete

Last edited by Randy B; 08-20-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 PM
BCDriver
New User
I now have an appointment Wednesday evening at a second Ford dealer in town as my sensor light has now stayed on since Saturday. I'm hoping it stays on until Wednesday evening! I'll keep everyone posted as to the fix and the outcome.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
HouseOPain
New User
my 04 has been doing it since i owned it, can't get anyone to fix it. mine is used so no recourse guess i am stuck with it. im not spending anymore $ on fixing it, that is forsure

Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDriver
I too have been experiencing the same problem with my 2007 Expedition. I just got it in July, and the light has come on at least 8 times. I brought it to the dealer, and got similar results. Nothing had registered on the computer, and they were hesitant to replace all 4 sensors. They told me to come back when the light was on, or to let them keep it and drive it for a few days to see if they could get it to go on. It has now only come on over the weekend when they're closed. It's very difficult to get to a dealership exactly when it occurs as it normally happens when you have somewhere you have to be or during off-hours. I'll be watching to see what happens for each of you going forward. Keep track of your visits to make it count toward any lemon law....I am going to make my dealer aware this is not an isolated incident on the Expeditions!
Take a video of it happening.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Triboy
Junior User
I brought a lawsuit against Ford on the issue under the lemon law. I wanted them to purchase the Expy back. After many months we just settled the case a few weeks ago. It didn't end up going to court and it didn't turn out how I wanted with them buying it back.

In the end they cut me a check. I believe I'm bound under the terms of the settlement not to talk about the details so I won't but it was enough that I was comfortable taking the settlement in place of the buy back. I still have the Expy and I'm trying to decide what to do with it now. The problem is still a problem but I am still able to continue to take it to the dealer to have them work on it under the terms of the factory warranty if I end up keeping it. It only has 18k on it so I might battle it out with the dealer for a while more before giving up on getting it corrected.

I went everywhere I could within Ford to get them to do something with out any resolve. The moral is enough pressure from the right source will help them change their standpoint. It just might take awhile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor Fault