1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OH CRAP...broke the bolt..now what

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:37 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH CRAP...broke the bolt..now what

I was changing the speed sensor on the rear axle....I WAS SO BEING CAREFULL.....removed it no problem...cleaned it off....put the new one it...I was tightening it up....no real torque either and it snapped off...NOW WHAT?....new sensor is in but I can easily rotate it...CAN I DRIVE....HOW MUCH WILL THEY CHARGE ME TO EXTRACT THE BOLT.....and I am going on a 1000 mile trip on friday...

HELP guys....need advice..

Yukonsly

Old 06-17-2007, 06:27 PM
MLCinNCTX
Senior User
Try removing the broke bolt yourself. Since you just had the bolt out it should be easy to remove. Go to a real hardware store and get a left hand twist drill bit about half the size of the bolt. Center punch the broke bolt. Chuck the bit in a drill, put the drill in reverse and start drill the bolt out. If this will work for you, you will know if the first 15 seconds or so. Drilling the direction the bolt back out usually cause the bolt to spin right out. If it doesn't work a shop will likely charge a couple hours to remove it, plus the bolt and shop fees. Around here $150-$175.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
Do you think I can still drive the truck in the meantime?....

Yukonsly

Old 06-17-2007, 07:06 PM
MLCinNCTX
Senior User
I don't think I would try driving until it was fixed.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:30 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by MLCinNCTX
Try removing the broke bolt yourself. Since you just had the bolt out it should be easy to remove. Go to a real hardware store and get a left hand twist drill bit about half the size of the bolt. Center punch the broke bolt. Chuck the bit in a drill, put the drill in reverse and start drill the bolt out. If this will work for you, you will know if the first 15 seconds or so. Drilling the direction the bolt back out usually cause the bolt to spin right out. If it doesn't work a shop will likely charge a couple hours to remove it, plus the bolt and shop fees. Around here $150-$175.
I have used a Dremmel before and cut a notch in the top of the bolt that a flathead screwdriver could fit in and then screwed it out. I can't remember I spelled Dremmel correctly. Might work, worth a try and much cheaper!

Old 06-17-2007, 09:09 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree I think you might be able to get it out your self. pull the sensor and see if you can grab that bolt with vise grips or something. if not try cutting a groove in it. Don't be concerned it you have to cut into the axle housing a little. it won't hurt it as long as you only for 1/16 inch or so.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:01 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Yukon, I'm certain you can get it out on your own. You gotta remembe a few things.....

First, that bolt doesn't tighten by bottoming out in the thread bore. so now with the head gone, it's just sitting in the threads with no presure on it.

Second, you said you cleaned everything right. Clean bolts go in and out easily.

So now, get back under there with a sharp pick. Look where the bolt broke off. Normally there is a ridge where you can use the pick to start spinning the bolt backwards. You may even use two pics pushing in opposite directions. If it doesn't want to move, try the notch thing. If it's flush with the top of the housing, take a cut off wheel and cut a notch in it and screw it out. You can do this brother.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I would pull the sensor off, and chuck a drill on it manually, and throw it in reverse.

The dremmel trick will work great also.

If it gives you some problems, use a heat gun and heat it up.
Or use vice grips.

When you got room to remove it, makes it easy.

If it broke off at the top of the houseing, you can use a good punch, and a light hammer, and just set the punch on the top, and tap it counterclockwise and it will turn the bolt if you ahve it cleaned up really well.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:27 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
So....I drove it....seems ok....but Time is of the essence....I can leave the truck at the mech...while I am at work...my nights are gonna be insane this week.....HUHM!!

Yukonsly

Old 06-18-2007, 08:41 AM
m14dan
Senior User
Did you break off the new bolt that comes in the ford package? That sucks if you did. SInce you took it to a mechanic I'm sure he will figure it out. Those have that blue or orange locktight on them though and won't be much fun.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 AM
yukonsly
Senior User
New bolt....wasn't in the Ford Package....old bolt put in....1.to 1/2 turn and it snaped...no torque either almost....

Getting fixed now....is it a special bolt?

Yukonsly

Old 06-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
For future reference they do sell bolt/screw extractor sets at sears I believe. It is a spiral tarered piece that looks similiar to a drill bit but it is spiralled counterclockwise. You drill a hole in the bolt and screw this thing in and it gets tighter as it goes eventually removing the bolt.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:47 AM
yukonsly
Senior User
I have looked at those often, but never bought one yet. The problem is not doing the work or being afraid to try....it's time. days...no good...have to work...and this week I have SOOOOO many loose ends to tie up before the weekend, that I wouldn't get to my truck...so...only option is to have it done when I work this way it's multitasking....costs more $$$ but saves me time....

a poorer Yukonsly....

Old 06-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Some times your time is more valuable.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 AM
yukonsly
Senior User
86$....not too bad...but next time...I'll do it....hahaha....why does my truck b reak when I have no time to fix it

Yukonsly

Quick Reply: OH CRAP...broke the bolt..now what