Strongest de-carbon additive?? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Strongest de-carbon additive??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Senior User

nightskyisme is starting off with a positive reputation.
Strongest de-carbon additive??

What is the absolute strongest diesel additive that can be used to break up carbon deposits? This is for a buddy, not me. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Posting Guru

jwhitetail is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't know if it's the strongest but i run DIPETANE according to the company it take's about 6000 miles to clean a diesel that has a lot of miles www.dipetaneUSA.com
Old 06-16-2007, 01:36 PM

Action4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputation
I hear alot about a product called SEA FOAM....Pour it in the fuel filter housing....
Old 06-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Elder User

99SevenPoint3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ive used sea foam a couple of times seems pretty good ...
Old 06-16-2007, 02:27 PM

Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Bio diesel
Old 06-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Senior User

tamte65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket
Bio diesel
I wanna some bio, but you can't get it here
Old 06-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Senior User

Bio-diesel works gradually, we needed something stronger.
Thanks for the other recommendations, Ill refer them along.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:11 PM

Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightskyisme
Bio-diesel works gradually, we needed something stronger.
Thanks for the other recommendations, Ill refer them along.
Just about any additive will work gradually. If you are trying to go with something stronger, you take the risk of damaging the injectors. They require lots of lubication to prevent scoring, and most heavy abrasive cleaners strip the lubricity right out.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Senior User

Great advice, thank you!
Old 06-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Post Fiend

aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightskyisme
What is the absolute strongest diesel additive that can be used to break up carbon deposits? This is for a buddy, not me. Thanks!
Carbon deposits in what? The injectors? Best thing is to take then out and have them professionally cleaned.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Biodiesel won't get rid of carbon inside the engine. I've seen first hand on the VW TDI's that I have to clean out the manifolds on. It simply coats the sooty deposits with a sort of plastic appearing stuff.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Senior User

I agree Kwik, bio isn't the "clean all" everyone thinks. My buddy actually bought a tractor (Small diesel 3-cylinder) and it has low compression in one of the 3 cylinders, so he thought he would start with the excessive carbon theory first.....I didn't want to get into details since this IS a Ford site, but he just figured the "pros" out here would know what cleans up a diesel engine best....Thanks all
Old 06-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Oh I see.
This thread would be better off in "General Diesel" then. Lot's of different makes and models covered there.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Senior User

10bands is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sea Foam does a heck of a job on the carbon in a 2 stroke outboard. I use it on all of mine. Especially the little idle-all-day trolling motors. You can pull a spark plug, look in there with a pen light and see the carbon. Run sea foam through it and it's gone. Haven't tried it on my truck though.