Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
How important is washing your bio?

The guy I buy bio from doesn't water wash his bio, and it looks a bit cloudy. Is this bad? It does a decent job of clogging up a 2 micron filter after a 100 miles or so too....
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 06-15-2007, 10:26 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
"Raw" unwashed biodiesel will run your truck.................short term. It will eventually ruin the IP and injectors.

"unwashed" biodiesel has water, methanol, lye, glycerol, and glycerides [ mono, di, and tri] and is not good for any engine.

If his biodiesel doesn't look like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

or this: Click the image to open in full size.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!

I do not water-wash............ long story.............I use Magnesol Dri-wash, and my biodiesel meets all ASTM specs.

I use a 1 micron absilute final fuel filter before my main storage tank. My present filter has had over 2,500 gallons and hasen't plugged up yet!

Biodiesel is easy to make........Good biodiesel takes a little more time and care, but is well worth it.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE

Last edited by fabmandelux; 06-15-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
I'll see if I can get a sample pic of what I get, but you can't see through it- now ya got me all concerned. If I gotta take drastic measures, like trying to water wash 140 gallons I have in my main and aux tanks, I'll never hear the end of it from the wife. UUuughhhhh.....

Thanks for you help Don- I'm glad I can trust ya
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 06-16-2007, 09:52 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
If it's not crystal clear [ not talking about color] it's most likely low conversion biodiesel. Cloudiness is one of the first signs of low conversion fuel. it will have lots of FFAs, glycerol, methanol, water, lye, etc. None of this is good for your diesel.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Postmaster

danny jones
I just filled a 12oz water bottle about 2/3rds ,and then added about 2 oz of water and shook the hell outta it, kinda like in the Dr. Pepper method. I'll check it tomorrow morning and see how it looks.

He says he filters it through some kinda ionization method or something unheard of. Now I question why I bought this in the first place (save now, pay later)
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
Old 06-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
Danny if when you put the water in it didn't immediatly settle out clear then you hve a problem with it and I personally wouldn't run it. here is an example first picture I added water to mine after washing this is immediatly after shaking it up.

This picture is the same jar 5 minutes later

Basically i wouldn't run anything that didn't settle like that in 5 minutes or less.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be teh same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilage to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Postmaster

danny jones
Mine didn't clear up in five minutes- I know it took longer than 4 hours to clear up. I guess it doesn't really make a difference how hard you shake it up. UPDATE- I just check my sample bottle, and there is no clear water at the bottom- there is a milky white layer. WHat is that stuff??
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
Old 06-17-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo75
Mine didn't clear up in five minutes- I know it took longer than 4 hours to clear up. I guess it doesn't really make a difference how hard you shake it up. UPDATE- I just check my sample bottle, and there is no clear water at the bottom- there is a milky white layer. WHat is that stuff??
Soap, Lye, free fatty acids,etc.............

Old 06-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Postmaster

danny jones
Fabman- so like you said in the other post, should I just run through the 130 gals I have left, or try to clean it somehow?
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
Old 06-17-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo75
Fabman- so like you said in the other post, should I just run through the 130 gals I have left, or try to clean it somehow?
Nope, not falling for that one YOUR CALL!!

Personally, I myself would not put it in my truck...................

But maybe if you filtered the @#^% out of it?

Old 06-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
Personally I am going to go along with Don on this one. I wouldn't put it in my truck until I did something with it, maybe in a oil burning heater of some type diluted but not in my powerstroke.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilage to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Postmaster

danny jones
I already have about 50 gals in my main tank, and 100 in an aux tank

Wondering if I can try to get him to buy it back....
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
Old 06-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Postmaster

danny jones
Hey Guys- this is what "my guy" has been doing. Still isn't getting washed though. I'm thinking I can dump about 40 gals into a 55 gal drum and then mix it with 10 gals of water, and let it settle, then do it again 1 or 2 more times?? Jeez- I try to save a buck and it bites me in the ....

http://www.jobwerx.com/news/lnx_resins-biodiesel_biz-id=948628_018.html
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
Old 06-18-2007, 08:38 AM

You could try it, but you'll have to heat it up to drive off the water.......

This is one of many reasons that I use Magnesol instead of water-washing.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

maybe not an idea solution but rather than put the water in try bubbling it with air and letting it settle for a couple of days. I just bubbled my latest batch for 6 hrs and before I turned it off there was most of the soaps in the bottom of the barrel and the fuel was crystal clear, I do that before using the magnasol (I know Don you don't like the idea of air in the fuel, but in his case it might be a better than nothing solution and should get most of the crud out)

Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
73, biodiesel, magnosol, powerstroke, unwashed, washing